saiful27oct's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Maynamati War Cemetery

The Maynamati War Cemetery (alternatively: Comilla War Cemetery) is a war cemetery and a memorial in in Comilla, Bangladesh for Second World War graves from nearby areas during the war. The cemetery contains 736 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. It was established and maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), to pay tribute to those who sacrificed their lives in World War II. It is situated in the Comilla Cantonment area.

Before the war Maynamati was a hamlet of a few dozen huts, but during the war a large military camp was established there. Several ordnance depots and a number of military hospitals, both British and Indian, were in the area, including Nos. 14 and 150 British General Hospitals; and the majority of the burials in Maynamati War Cemetery were from the various hospitals. Graves from isolated places in the surrounding country, and some from as far afield as Burma, were moved into the cemetery by the Army Graves Service and later on by the Commission; and it was found necessary to transfer also graves from small cemeteries at Dacca, Faridpur, Paksay, Saidpur, Santahan and Sirajgany, where they could not be maintained.

The cemetery was started by the Army and laid out by the garrison engineer. It is dominated by a small flat-topped hill crowned with indigenous flowering and evergreen trees. Between the entrance and this hill lie the Christian graves, and on the far side of it are the Muslim graves. On a terrace about half-way up the hill, facing the entrance, stands the Cross of Sacrifice, and on the other side a shelter looks over the Muslim graves to a tree-framed view of the countryside beyond.

How to go

After reaching at Comilla Sadar Upazila, take rickshaw and come to West forezpur to visit this attraction.

How To Reach: Comilla District

Comilla has excellent transport and communication system. Comilla and Dhaka are linked by both road and railway. There is also an airport in the district, but it is not currently being used.

The road distance of Comilla from Dhaka is 97 kilometers. You can take a bus from Dhaka to reach Comilla. Some of the bus services are listed below for your assistance:
1. Upakule Royal
Komolapur Bus stand
2. Tisha
Sayedabad
3. BRTC
Komolapur Bus stand
4. Prime Service
Hatchel Road
Buses leave from Dhaka every fifteen minutes starting from 6:15am until 8pm.

Where to Stay

Some of the hotels/motels in Comilla are listed below for your assistance.
1. Ashik Residential Resthouse
Address: 186 Nazrul Avenue, Comilla

2. Hotel Abedin
Address: Station Road, Comilla

3. Hotel Noorjahan
Address: Dhaka-Chittagong Road, Comilla

4. Hotel Sonali
Address: Kandirpar Circle, Comilla

Things to do
  1. There is inscriptions written on the grave where we can see their names, date of birth and when they died.
  2. Take pictures and enjoy the surrounding beautiful environment.

IMG_5205.JPG19237864_820217428152001_5993136743383850513_o.jpgIMG_5202.JPGIMG_5212.JPGIMG_5238.JPGIMG_5239.JPG19756469_820208424819568_421193141416628171_n.jpg106406293.jpgIMG_5209.JPGIMG_5227.JPG

World War Cemetery, Comilla-Sylhet Road, Bangladesh
7 comments
Level 10

Re: Maynamati War Cemetery

@saiful27oct My one of the best favorite place. Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 8

@OmarBDYou are Most Wellcome 🙂

Level 10

@saiful27oct ধন্যবাদ শেয়ার করার জন্য , আশা করব সামনের দিন গুলো তোমার দেখা আরও জায়গা গুলো সকলের সামনে তুলে ধরবা , পোস্ট খুভ সুন্দর করে লেখা হইছে এই লেখার ধরন সকলের ফলো করা উচিৎ 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

@MahabubMunnaধন্যবাদ মাহাবুব ভাই।আমি আমার ধারাবাহিকতা বঝায় রাখবো 🙂

Connect Moderator

Thanks @saiful27oct for the interesting and helpful post.

War cemetery are for me places of meditations, a place where to think about how useless the war is.

This place remind me to another war cemetery, not so far to my house.

I wrote a post about it, hope you will like it: In a war nobody wins. We are all loosers

Ermes

Level 8

@ErmesTYou are most wellcome.

your post is Great. I am very interested in this topic.Thanks for sharing your post.

Saiful

Connect Moderator

Thanks @saiful27oct, I am happy that you like it

War cemetery are important, because it is very easy to forget how brutal a war is. Create a space for remembering is the base for building a better future.

Ermes