Sagir's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Masa (rice cake)

Masa ready to be servedMasa ready to be served

Masa is a Northern snack similar to a pan fried rice cake.

The recipes vary from one household to the other, but the basic premise never changes. 

Traditionally, in Hausaland (Northern part of Nigeria), masa is used occasionally in the ceremonial and festive periods, more commonly during breakfast.

How to make Masa

Ingredients for Serving: 4persons

• 3 cups of white rice (unperboiled rice)
  • 2 Table spoons of sugar.
  • Teaspoon of yeast.
  • Teaspoon of potash.
  • Table spoon of oil
  • 50ml of vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste.
  • Masa pan ( is a specially designed pan just for masa)

Method of preparation

Get 3 cups of white rice in a bowl. Divide into two equal part.

Wash the first part and soak in a bowl with potash.

Soak a teaspoon of potash in a half cup of water. Allow to settle. Then pour in to the first part of the rice in a bowl. Add more water and allow to soak for 8 to 10 hours. (It is best if you soak it overnight).

When you are ready to prepare the masa, get the second part of the rice. Wash and boil it with just water. Boil it until it is very soft. Go ahead and mash it to pulp.

Mix the soaked rice with the mashed rice together.

Add sugar and salt to taste.

Add teaspoon of yeast, stir and allow frothing for 30 minutes. The batter should be running not thick.

Grease your masa pan with vegetable oil and scoop your batter into the pan.

Allow to cook until it is golden brown.

Turn the other side with a spoon and also observe as it cooks and turn golden brown.Masa pan with masa in it ... Picture source: internetMasa pan with masa in it ... Picture source: internet

Serving

masa can be served in two ways

1.  Miyan Taushe ( spinach soup) or
  2. Yajin Kuli Kuli (peanut cake grounded and mixed with dry pepper and other spicies like ginger, cloves and pepper mint)

Masa served with spinach soupMasa served with spinach soup

If you find yourself in Nigeria this should be part of your must taste food.

Don't say I didn't tell you ?

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

27 comments
Connect Moderator

Masa (rice cake)

Masa ready to be servedMasa ready to be served

Masa is a Northern snack similar to a pan fried rice cake.

The recipes vary from one household to the other, but the basic premise never changes. 

Traditionally, in Hausaland (Northern part of Nigeria), masa is used occasionally in the ceremonial and festive periods, more commonly during breakfast.

How to make Masa

Ingredients for Serving: 4persons

• 3 cups of white rice (unperboiled rice)
  • 2 Table spoons of sugar.
  • Teaspoon of yeast.
  • Teaspoon of potash.
  • Table spoon of oil
  • 50ml of vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste.
  • Masa pan ( is a specially designed pan just for masa)

Method of preparation

Get 3 cups of white rice in a bowl. Divide into two equal part.

Wash the first part and soak in a bowl with potash.

Soak a teaspoon of potash in a half cup of water. Allow to settle. Then pour in to the first part of the rice in a bowl. Add more water and allow to soak for 8 to 10 hours. (It is best if you soak it overnight).

When you are ready to prepare the masa, get the second part of the rice. Wash and boil it with just water. Boil it until it is very soft. Go ahead and mash it to pulp.

Mix the soaked rice with the mashed rice together.

Add sugar and salt to taste.

Add teaspoon of yeast, stir and allow frothing for 30 minutes. The batter should be running not thick.

Grease your masa pan with vegetable oil and scoop your batter into the pan.

Allow to cook until it is golden brown.

Turn the other side with a spoon and also observe as it cooks and turn golden brown.Masa pan with masa in it ... Picture source: internetMasa pan with masa in it ... Picture source: internet

Serving

masa can be served in two ways

1.  Miyan Taushe ( spinach soup) or
  2. Yajin Kuli Kuli (peanut cake grounded and mixed with dry pepper and other spicies like ginger, cloves and pepper mint)Masa served with spinach soupMasa served with spinach soup

If you find yourself in Nigeria this should be part of your must taste food.

Don't say I didn't tell you ?

Kind regards

Sagir

Connect Moderator

Re: Masa (rice cake)

Check this recipe @DeniGu and @MrLabule

As I promised to share with you guides.

Have some taste @OSAMA @Jesi @Justine2807 @AlejandraMaria @Julien44

Level 8

I think i have tasted this before when i was serving in the north. 

With this post now,  my appetite is reawakened. Would be on the look out for the commercial sellers of this rice  cake .

Thanks bro. 

Connect Moderator

You are most welcome bro @AguerO

Level 2

We call this kuzhi paniyaram in India.

Level 10

Hi @Sagir

Thank you for sharing this delicious looking Nigerian traditional delight. It looks really tasty. 

It is always interesting to learn about flavoursome food from all around the world. It is great to hear about Hausaland (Northern part of Nigeria), masa. It is really good to know that it is used occasionally in the ceremonial and festive periods, more commonly during breakfast. 

It is also fabulous because you have given the recipe that we can reference back here to share it with everyone and enjoy it too. 

Best wishes

@Justine2807

Check it out @HelloSamsonR , @OSAMA , @AlejandraMaria , 

@RupendraNeupane , @BudionoS , @LaxmiG1

Connect Moderator

Hi @Sagir

That's super interesting.

I just jumped in in a pause of Connect Live to find your interesting recipe. I want let you know that we are missing you here. I am here with @U-royFelixA to say hi 

Please note that I have merged your two posts about the same subject, to keep all the replies together.

Ermes

Google Moderator

Hi @Sagir,

Thank you for sharing your rice cake recipe with us! And thank you for the tag. 🙂

I'm curious, what's the flavour of the homemade masa? Is it savoury or sweetish? And can you eat it with jam, for example?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

I've been looking forward to this! When the Northern home calls, there are lots of foods to devour! I may not try this at home but I won't miss any opportunity to have the taste of it everytime. Thanks @Sagir for sharing

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!