PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Maps entry whose polygon seems to cover all of America

I found this very weird Maps entry https://www.google.com/maps/place/giftitgirl/@39.878243,-152.6681681,4z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80...

Its polygon seems to cover all of America. Weird.

I have sent feedback but it's not going to be obvious from the App what's wrong so thought I would report here too. From the website it looks like they're not even in the location shown in the initial Maps entry I found so it might be spamming. The website has 8239 Frankford Ave Philadelphia, PA 19136

Giftitgirl entry covering all of AmericaGiftitgirl entry covering all of America

3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Maps entry whose polygon seems to cover all of America

@PaulPavlinovich what you have found is a Google My Business claimed listing, where the claimant has marked their business as serving a specific service area, and then defining the service area as the entire United States.

Under the old Map Maker platform, we frequently referred to these as "Service Area Businesses" or SABs, and by the business properly setting that flag allowed them show the area they serve but hide their actual business address (for example a plumber or electrician that only operated from their home). In the case of your example, it would appear to be an improper application of the Service Area for what appears to be an online-only business. This would need to be addressed by the Google My Business team to resolve.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

@PaulPavlinovich what you have found is a Google My Business claimed listing, where the claimant has marked their business as serving a specific service area, and then defining the service area as the entire United States.

Under the old Map Maker platform, we frequently referred to these as "Service Area Businesses" or SABs, and by the business properly setting that flag allowed them show the area they serve but hide their actual business address (for example a plumber or electrician that only operated from their home). In the case of your example, it would appear to be an improper application of the Service Area for what appears to be an online-only business. This would need to be addressed by the Google My Business team to resolve.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Connect Moderator

Thanks for the explanation @MWJones it certainly did seem a little weird. Really an online only business shouldn't be on Maps at all. I'll mark your answer as the solution to help future searchers.

I'll report it via GMB.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

No need for further action, the entry is already gone :).