ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Mapping for Good - New roads in the Earthquake area of Italy

Mapping for Good

To explain the meaning of "Mapping for Good" I borrowed the description from the Geo For Good 2021 website: “Our Geo for Good Summit is an annual conference geared toward nonprofits, scientists, government agencies and other change-makers who want to leverage mapping tools and technology for positive impact in the world

I firmly believe that Local Guides can also play a role in this, especially when they decide to carry out activities that are almost invisible in our profile, but which can have a huge impact on the people who benefit from them. No one will ever know that the street was added by a Local Guide. Those who follow it guided by Google Maps will never know that until a few days before that road did not exist, and that if they managed to reach the place where they wanted to go it is only thanks to the contribution of that anonymous Local Guide. The important thing is that they managed to reach their destination.

Travel back in time

Today I want to travel back in time and go back to the beginning of my Local Guide story. When, in October 2016, I was knocking on the door of Google and Connect, asking to be able to talk about the earthquake.

Between 2016 and 2019 Umbria and Marche became the areas of Italy where I traveled the most. If on the one hand the earthquake destroyed homes and territories, on the other it contributed to building deep and lasting friendships.

If you don't know the areas, look for them on Maps. You will discover blue skies, soft green hills, delicious food, history and culture.

Caption: a photo of a group of SAE (Emergency Housing Solutions) in Cascia - Italy, and the text Mapping for Good - New road in the Earthquake area of ItalyCaption: a photo of a group of SAE (Emergency Housing Solutions) in Cascia - Italy, and the text Mapping for Good - New road in the Earthquake area of Italy

SAE

SAE (Soluzioni Abitative di Emergenza - Emergency Housing Solutions), it is how the “temporary” houses built in the areas of the earthquake are called in Italy

SAEs are homes, built in central Italy in 2017-2018 to offer temporary accommodation to those who lost their homes in the earthquakes of August and October 2016. The SAEs did not want to replace the destroyed villages, but simply to give the inhabitants the opportunity to continue living in the area, pending reconstruction. A difficult reconstruction, in mountainous areas, slowed down by the fact that they were often historic buildings, with a high cultural value, and subsequently blocked by two years of pandemic.

The SAE groups arose quite quickly, connected by new roads, equipped with parking spaces, to restore life and dignity to the people who had lost everything in the earthquake.

Re-Building a Map

Between 2017 and 2019 the Italian Local Guides contributed a lot, to redesign the map of the area, and relocate the shops, restaurants, banks, and all the other production activities that had had to move due to the earthquake. We have carried out specific meet-ups precisely to re-map the territory, as well as to make it known.

Local Guides "in action" at Norcia Meet-UpLocal Guides "in action" at Norcia Meet-Up

Then Covid stopped us, so I come back today, virtually, to complete an activity started in 2018, when, in April, I was talking about Mapping in Emergency Areas

At the beginning of this year I wanted to "virtually" return to those territories, to find out what had changed in Google Maps in those areas.

The satellite images have changed, and now the SAEs are clearly visible in Maps. What was missing were the streets.

So I said to myself "Ok, now Google has given me a new tool, it will mean that I will add the roads".

And so I did. I spent about 8 days scouring the earthquake area, city after city, village after village, to locate the SAEs and add the missing roads. 

The SAEs are easy to identify on the map: Small structured groups of houses, almost miniature villages, with houses all the same, new roads, paths organized to reach each house. Exploring the map it is not possible to go wrong, especially since the original villages are often gray, the color of the dust and rubble of old houses.

Caption: Eight Screenshots from Google Maps where you can see 8 different groups of SAEs Located in Italy, (Umbria and Marche)Caption: Eight Screenshots from Google Maps where you can see 8 different groups of SAEs Located in Italy, (Umbria and Marche)

I proceeded in a methodical way, starting from the places I knew personally, such as Cascia, Visso, Norcia, Castelsantangelo sul Nera, and then starting to explore the map moving in bands, starting from my initial reference points.

I wanted to start from Cascia, as the photo of the SAEs you see at the beginning of the post was taken right there, in 2018, and was used to tell the need to Map in emergency areas. At that time, Google Maps showed pastures and cultivated fields, and not the houses that can be seen today.

Caption: two different screenshots of the same area in Google maps where you can see: Top, the area as it appeared in 2018. Bottom: the same area in 2022Caption: two different screenshots of the same area in Google maps where you can see: Top, the area as it appeared in 2018. Bottom: the same area in 2022

You can explore the place in the embedded map here below

So I entered the streets. I didn't have much hope that they would be approved, but I was wrong. I have to say that Google Maps for its part was very quick in approving the changes. This encouraged me to continue.

Caption:  two different screenshots of the same area in Google maps where you can see: Left: The area before submitting the road. Right: the same area six days later, after the approval of the roadCaption:  two different screenshots of the same area in Google maps where you can see: Left: The area before submitting the road. Right: the same area six days later, after the approval of the road

For 8 days I explored the map, dividing it into sectors, taking screenshots of "Before - During and After editing" in order to remember which ones I had already entered. 

8 days of Explore, Find, Edit, and move forward to Explore again, Find, Edit, and so on.

Caption: a collage of four screenshots showing the steps for submitting an edit: 1) Explore the area in satellite mode, to find the SAEs. 2) A view of the same area in Map mode, to verify if the road already exists. 3) Same area. In green you can see the new roads, just drawn, and ready to be submitted. 4) The feedback from Google Maps to confirm that the edit has been submittedCaption: a collage of four screenshots showing the steps for submitting an edit: 1) Explore the area in satellite mode, to find the SAEs. 2) A view of the same area in Map mode, to verify if the road already exists. 3) Same area. In green you can see the new roads, just drawn, and ready to be submitted. 4) The feedback from Google Maps to confirm that the edit has been submitted

Now all the SAEs I was able to identify have roads in Maps. This means if anyone can reach them: the postman, an express courier, the one who delivers pizza at home, or simply a friend.

Caption: Eight screenshots of Google maps to confirm that your edit has been publishedCaption: Eight screenshots of Google maps to confirm that your edit has been published

Of course it is a small step, done by a single Local Guide, but try to imagine if all 150 million Local Guides took this small step together.

What would you like to do, as soon as the editor is available for you, to improve your area? What kind of Roads, Parking places, walking trails would you like to add in Google Maps?

Treviso, TV, Italia
18 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Mapping for Good - New roads in the Earthquake area of Italy

Ciao @ErmesT,

touché for this incredible help to the local communities! This is definitely the help Local Guides can give to the community, especially in such situations where things are difficult. I know your personal effort on the topic and that's why I admire you, so thank you for sharing this way of helping, and thinking at the road editor which simplifies and helps for such kind of tasks.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 8

Wow, what a great effort! I admire your hard work and ingenuity. Thank you for documenting the effort and sharing your process. A very valuable contribution to the disaster recovery in parts of Italy as well as to our Maps community. 

#NuttieFoodie
Connect Moderator

Grazie @LuigiZ , non solo per essere sempre  di supporto in questo tipo di attività, ma anche per essere un caro amico di quei territori e delle persone che li abitano.

A volte questo aiuta, perché puoi dare un nome a quelle persone, a quelle strade. Da Gaetano ci sono stato a cena, e il navigatore non mi ci voleva portare, perché la strada non c'era.

Un po' come quell'albergo del mio primo post relativo al mappare le strade, dove Maps, per raggiungere un B&B, ti suggeriva di scalare la montagna.

Per me le zone dei Sibillini sono come una seconda casa, e molte di quelle SAE le ho viste costruire, perciò sono molto felice di averci potuto mettere anche un po' di mio in questa ricostruzione

Connect Moderator

Very motivating post @ErmesT . I hope loead of people read it and start acting upon it - as Google Maps is thé tool of choice for virtually everyone involved in deliveries, missing roads can be a big problem for those currently living there.

And from experience I can tell you: if by some circumstances those people do get know that you were the one adding "their" road on Maps, the gratitude is typically overwhelming!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 9

Betreff: Mapping for Good - New roads in the Earthquake area of Italy

Hello @ErmesT

you're so amazing, Ermes! 👏🏻 🤩 🏞🌟 
It's so great and helpful for everyone, what you are doing! 🤩 👍🏻 💐 🏵️ 
Thank you very much for sharing your amazing and interesting Local Guides Connect-post here, Ermes! 🤩 👍🏻 🌟 🏞💐 

I wish you a great day! 😊 

Many warm greetings to you from Hamburg, Germany! 😊 🌟 🇮🇹 🇩🇪

Chiara Maria Cervetta

Facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much for your words, @MissAprilNola , you warm my heart.

I think that to be a Local guide doesn't necessarily means contributing just to get point, There are a lot of things that we can do to help the people, even being Local Guides, and you know this very well, as you are a master in helping people

Level 10

@ErmesT me parece un trabajo increible, felicidades. Este mapeo me parece esencial.

https://gasmountain.com/blog/
FOLLOW ME ON GOOGLE MAPS
https://goo.gl/maps/nTobaEosxkmA1cvq8
Level 8

Rif.: Mapping for Good - New roads in the Earthquake area of Italy

Amazing work!!

Connect Moderator

Thanks @JanVanHaver 

Yes, I hope that many will be motivated to add them, increasing the information for people who need to reach a location in Maps.

Regarding the Gratitude, I hope more people will start to understand that these information are added by Local Guides like you and me, and that "the funny guys always with a camera in their hands", the ones that are photographing dishes and storefronts, are silently helping more than what the people believe