OStr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Map markers no longer movable?

Ever since I got to Level 8, my map edits are usually accepted instantly. Even before I reached Level 8, I never had trouble correcting map marker locations, mostly stores placed at the wrong part of a mall or plaza, or in the middle of the street instead of at the building on one side.

But not today. Out of 17 map marker moves, only 2 were accepted. The other 15 were instantly rejected with "NOT APPLIED". I tried two of those again a few hours later, and got the same result. I was able to create a few new places without much problem, so this issue seems to be limited to map marker moves.

Anyone else has this problem?  Has Google rolled out new logic for such edits?

2017-10-30 update:  Marked as "Solved" by moderators, but no solution has been found yet.

88 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Map markers no longer movable?

Hi @OStr and all! 

First of all, thank you for contributions and also bringing this topic for discussion.

We do indeed have billions of lines of code on Google Maps and, as any other software we may have bugs in the system despite all the tools and processes we have in place to make sure the code is clean, fast and work seamless for every one.  However, as @Flash also explain, when there's a bug will not only break things for you.... it breaks for everyone and always has a very specific feature/system affected.

Here at Google we are constantly trying to improve and innovate in our products and, the Moderation system is one of them. As it evolves to keep up with the latest trends/issue, it will sometimes affect users who were used to map in a certain way but this doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad mapper (unless you are deliberately creating spam). 

Our algorithm is our "secret sauce" to make sure we are catching bad edits before they know how to game the system (can you imagine if the RCMP published all their playbooks for catching bad guys?). As I explained in this post we are constantly monitoring spam levels and edits that comes in to Maps, and we are always fine tuning. 

So don't worry if some of your edits are being denied, this happens to all the best mappers (including me) and as an active Local Guide you will be more sensitive to our changes but for now there's no bug, just the algorithm working on the backstage.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 7

Same here twice!! Don't know why? 

Connect Moderator

Your Local Guides level and your trust on Google Maps are not connected.

Trust is earned on Google Maps by making successful edits.  It is specific, making thousands of edits to phone numbers is not going to give you any trust in changing names.

But trust is just one of many factors taken into account when the algorithms look at your edits; and thus successfulling editing one feature does not necessarily mean you'll have the same success on another feature.

On top of this, the algorithms that are used are costantly adjusted.  So yes, there might have been a change; but in addition it could also be that your edits today are in an area where Google has a data source that it trusts, or one of many other reasons.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Here's an example: this restaurant is next to the other stores in the strip mall, between EB Games and Fast **####** Burrito, not in the middle of the parking lot. Try moving it and see what you get.

Level 10

@Flash, so yesterday I was trustworthy enough to move markers, but today I'm only trustworthy enough to create new places but not to move markers?

My changes were in two different cities, and I never ran into this situation before in any of the hundreds of map marker moves I did before. Your theory about other trusted sources doesn't seem to explain this case.

As is often the case with your answers, you're attempting to apply your extensive but far from comprehensive knowledge where it clearly is not applicable. Saying "algorithms sometimes change" tells us nothing of value.

As I've told you before, there's no shame in saying, "I don't know." Advances in knowledge only occur once we admit we lack knowledge.

Connect Moderator

I cannot make such an edit, as I have no personal knowledge and none of those places appear is Street View.  But I did just make such an edit for a similar report here, so moving map makers is still working.

If you can find a clear view of the location of the place in Street View pelase post the link and I can try to move the feature for you.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

@OStr wrote:

@Flash, so yesterday I was trustworthy enough to move markers, but today I'm only trustworthy enough to create new places but not to move markers?

Yes, that is quite possible, the trust level required might have moved a bit with algorithm changes.

My changes were in two different cities, and I never ran into this situation before in any of the hundreds of map marker moves I did before. Your theory about other trusted sources doesn't seem to explain this case.

Even the most trusted mappers are not successful every time.  This includes people with artifically raised trust level, we have had places that Google Moderators, RERs and RLs could not move.  Similarly, we have had moves that such people could not approve until many votes were collected; I know of one instance where over 20 Googlers approved a place and it was my own approval that finally pushed it over the top.  If you have never seen one of your moves rejected you were either extremely lucky (buy a lottery ticket level of luck) or just did not notice when it did not happen.

As long time TC I don't bother posting "I don't know", rather I just don't post.  That is the better course, as then someone with the answer won't skip the question because they see a post from ne of the known experts.  I have answered because I have dealt with this question hundreds of times and discussed it extensively with Googlers.  Rejection of answers simply because you don't like them is your choice.  Posting and then being rude to peole that answer, though, is not the purpose of this forum and beyond the acceptable posting guidelines.

Level 10

@Flash, the restaurant is clearly visible in the photos for both neighbouring stores, EB Games on one side and F.B. Burritos on the other.

As for Street views, this image shows Rogers next to Kiku, not in the middle of the same parking lot.

Level 6

Very nice question, I also want to know about such problem.

Connect Moderator

The rules of the map do not allow one to use someone else's photos either.  Investigating more, though, there is an owner posted photo on the Kwan POI that shows it's postion compared to some other stores.  I have moved it for you.

That you for the pointing out the issue with Rogers.  I have made the edit and it has gone for review.  It appears this item does need a very high level of trust to move it and thus someone with a lower level might have been rejected outright.  Whether this level is different than yesterday I cannot say.  What I can say in response to your original question is that no, I have not been getting rejected on moves.