Bearson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Map locations for local shelters / food pantries / community help

I was wondering if anyone has seen this feature or is it even a feature on Google Maps. I watched the video on Local Guides about using Google Maps to find accessibility or help during a rape crisis. I was wondering if this feature could also be applied to non-emergency but urgent needs locally in our communities. Like maybe keyword it into Google Maps to find local non-emegency, but urgent needs. Whether that be urgent care centers, food pantries or programs, or local community help like shelters or recovery centers.  I am curious to see how this can help in a local way in this sense. Any ideas or input greatly appreciated. 

2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Map locations for local shelters / food pantries / community help

Hi @Bearson a lot of these things are on Maps already and as a Local Guide you can add more. One thing I would never do is add Rape Crisis Centres or Women's Shelters because these places need their anonymity to keep the people who use the shelters safe from the abusive people they have escaped from. These places generally have a public website and/or phone number that people can call. Once the operator accepts the caller the address is given.

Regards Paul

Level 5

Re: Map locations for local shelters / food pantries / community help

Awesome, thanks for the input and great ideas on this. I see what you mean about keeping anonymity a priority in such cases. The aspect I was thinking about and concerned with improving was how to make local programs and opportunities stand out more. I noticed that Google maps is a great way to find new places and areas of interest and was wondering as a local guide if adding these programs would help out those in need find an easy way to get to those resources quicker.  Great things and ideas to improve with if you ask me.