IrenaS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

MancheLon meet up in London, UK on 19th of January 2019

Hello Local Guides,

We are having our first unofficial London Local Guides meetup in 2019... starring a few awesome Local Guides from Manchester 😁

Everyone is welcome to join us for a pint (or a few) from 18:00 onwards at The Jackalope on Saturday the 19th of January 2019.

Here is a link to the event in G+:

https://plus.google.com/events/c2bp4q1svt3pbtn23e7k27ettm8

Sadly my submission of this event via Connect Calendar has been rejected due to description being too short apparently (screenshot of the rejection message attached). Not really sure what more I could say, apart from come & join us for some fun, drinks & food 😉

Looking forward to seeing you then!

Irena 😘

Screenshot_20190116-092538.jpg

The Jackalope, Weymouth Mews, London, UK
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: MancheLon meet up in London, UK on 19th of January 2019

Hi @IrenaS,

I am sorry that your meet up was not approved. To keep your next one within the guidelines, here is some information that may be helpful, especially if it's your first time hosting:

Please note that I've relabeled your post. It now appears in the Meet up section, because it is more suitable to it.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Thank you for your comment @MashaPS

I have previously hosted many meet ups, however it has been a struggle to spread the word through Connect almost every single time. 

It feels that Connect is more appropriate for re-cap posts, rather than arranging meet ups. 

Most of us in London find Connect unusable on the go. There is no real time sharing functionality (location, photos, comments)... and now I cannot even create a simple "get together for a drink" meet up unless submitted at least a week in advance, with a specific size theme photo (which has to be resized manually before it can be uploaded to Connect) and unnecessarily longer description.

I find this very off-putting & might just not bother with Connect going forward, unless things improve soon.

Former Google Contributor

Hey @IrenaS,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas about how to improve Connect or realize new features on Idea Exchange section. Your ideas there would be upvoted by other Local Guides and reviewed by us.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Awesome stuff  @IrenaS , look forward to seeing you and all there  😻

//

Also... I could   not agree more with  @IrenaS    and even a forums from the 90's work better than this and also work on both desktops and mobiles, where as Connect 'still' does not.

The now (self) terminated  Google+ was ten times better than this and I never understood why Google/ABC decided to use Lithium over their own  and far better products. It is also the reason why many of us from Google City Experts have stopped using Connect since it was forced upon us. 

I have given so much feedback on this  and many of the issues with Connect, yet more than two years later, little has changed or improved, including my time wasted.

RiP Google+, you will be missed  😿

I, t4k3.fun.53ri0u51y. // t.me/EviLwithinFazZ // t.me/FunLovinGaming // t.me/CityExperts // t.me/KittandMushroom // t.me/theFazZproject '\(O__¬)/'
Level 7

Usability would drive engagement.

London Local Guides (and those in suburbs like me) attend Irena's events because they have some actual momentum and people try to attend because they are a nice bunch of people and she makes an effort choosing locations.

"Connect" website traffic is so low the place is tumbleweed.  London Guide posting here is essentially a courtesy to Google.  It would be nice if that were returned by having some kind of strategy for keeping volunteer map editors engaged with the project and some encouragement to cooperate.

Level 10

Whatever the vagaries of this forum (there's always an argument that it being difficult is a good spam filter in itself, only the truly committed persist ?), this was a great meetup (from what I can remember ?) and Kudos to @IrenaS for organising.The ChampionThe Champion