HiroyukiTakisawa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Making a 360-degree camera mounted helmet

IMG_20181105_160226_2.jpg

One of the biggest problems to take a good Street View is how to hide a figure of myself. Street View is covering all around a photographer, so the area of displaying a photographer is the smaller the better for the Google Map users. However, it’s not easy.

How to make

Notice: I cannot ensure the safety of this how-to. Check your device's stability and the safety by yourself.

For resolving this problem, I decided to make the helmet for taking 360-degree photos and videos.

I stuck the mounting device “O-CM1471”(About 15 dollars, 3 pieces set) on the helmet(About 10 dollars). The bottom of this mounting device, there is a very strong sticker. But I worried still because Theta V is expensive, so I inserted photocurable resin adhesive to the gap between the helmet and the mounting device, and I filled the gap. I expected the photocurable resin adhesive to support sticking as an adhesive and cushion. As the result, my attempt almost succeeds so far. They are sticking well.

And I fixed the movable part of the mounting device after adjusting its position because I will never move it. When you adjust the position of the mounting device, you should be still wearing the helmet.

If you fix it,  you have to pay attention to the glue. The photocurable resin adhesive will a bit inflate after it dries. When you use too much photocurable resin adhesive, it may break the movable part. Actually, I had done it. So I changed to another glue. The glue is just a support of the movable part.

If you want to know the most certain way to connect them, you are able to check this IlankovanT's video out. This is definitely one of the perfect ways.

Result

Like this, the hiding spot is only directly under the camera.

Fortunately, I could get a Theta V, so I tried the 360-degree video mode for making SV.  (Thank you so much !!! Google Local Guides team and Connect Live attendees  :-))) )

This is my first SV using the video mode.

The creation of SV from the video mode was very interesting.

The details of the way to take 360-degree photo/video are you can refer a lot of threads of amazing street view photographers on the Connect.

If you are a beginner, I recommend you to start taking a single 360-degree photo at first. And please earn the Street View Trusted Photographer Badge. After earning it, you are able to access more information.
In Japanese local guides, there are a lot of passionate SV trusted photographers. For taking this video, I referred some their threads. Thank you for telling me a lot potaro67 love_ikoma_toyo kumax_aomori Yotaroh and all:-)

The 360-degree camera is definitely so interesting device. Let's try it!
And, let's attend to this World Wide Meetup! ? 360° Photography WorldWide Meet-up ? by ValeriaAumasque

Japan
39 comments
Level 10

Re: Making a 360-degree camera mounted helmet

@HiroyukiTakisawaさん、動画からのストリートビュー作成の成功、おめでとうございます。

明るさも、画像の水平も、写真同士の繋がりも、きれいに仕上がってますね。

底面の黒いヘルメットは、画像処理をしなくても全く不都合を感じませんね。素晴らしいです。

Connect Moderator

@potaro67さん、お褒めの言葉ありがとうございます。その節はありがとうございました。

まだまだ改善点もありますので次に活かしつつ撮影を続けて行きたいと思います:-)

Level 9

@HiroyukiTakisawa,

You're looking ossam. I saw your video somewhere, other than this post. 

P.S. Thank you for showing the proper way to fix a camera.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulation and good job!! @HiroyukiTakisawa

ヘルメット姿が似合ってますね。カッコいいなぁ。

当方は山の中を歩くので、頭上がとても気になります。なので、一脚で聖火ランナーみたいなことになってます。一脚ホルダーで固定したりもしていますけどねぇ、みっともないなぁ。

自分隠しにはシータの下にディスクを挟んでます。

プリンター捨てちゃったので、いつも手書き。どこかでプリントできないですかね~。

Connect Moderator

You are welcome @deepakjhic

You might have watched a part of my video on Facebook.

Let's enjoy our 360-degree camera life! :-))

P.S What is OSSAM?

Level 9

Hehehehe,

This is the short form of awesome.....

@HiroyukiTakisawa

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

@Anonymousさん

このアイディアを初めて見た時はこの手があったかって思いました。

すごくわかりやすい上にシンボルにもなる、最高の方法の1つだと思っています!

私は手書きも味があって良いと思うんですが、自宅プリンタなしでシールを簡単に印刷できる方法はほしいですよね。

皆さんにヘルメット似合うと言われて若干混乱しております。

まさかそんな適性があったなんて…

Connect Moderator

Oh! I didn't know that!!

Thank you for telling me;-) @deepakjhic

Level 10

It's a great post. Thanks for sharing. @HiroyukiTakisawa I will try to make this also.