Bolar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Maintaining Free 1 TB of Storage Space beyond 2 years...

Hi There,

I am enjoying the additional TB of storage space due to my contributions to the Local Guide program.

One big question... how do I get more free space or at the very least maintain what I have been given for free?

(I am a local guide level 5)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Robert

USA
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Maintaining Free 1 TB of Storage Space beyond 2 years...

Hi @Bolar, as of now there are no details regarding the Drive offer extension beyond the 2 or 1 year that was offered. I'd say always keep an eye as there may be some more offers in the future. I bought a $200 Chromebook last year (which I still use) with a 2 year 1 TB promo for Drive. No idea if this will happens again, but it was definitely worth the money.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you will not lose any data stored in the drive even after your offer expired. The data will still be there, and you can read or download them to your computer. But you won't be able to put more until you decrease the storage below your original limit.

But yeah, I'd say don't worry too much about it for now and keep an eye for future opportunities 🙂

View solution in original post

Level 5

You asked the question best out of all the other searches i could find in this site. I am accumulating alot of videos and photos (up to 59 gb already in only 1 year ) so when my 1Tb expires in april 2018, i don't want to be shafted! need to know how to maintain my extra drive space! do i just do more reviews and get more maps points? i assume so?

Level 5

I believe that your data will still be there after the free space expires. You will just not be able to add more data to Drive. You can still download everything locally to get back to within your normal limit.

Currently I do not believe there is any way to extend the free space past the 1 year. Whether a solution will be introduced we will just have to wait and see.

Level 10

Before receiving my complimentary 1Tb of space i was paying for some extension, that i've did'nt renewed.

Now the situation is

Schermata 2017-02-15 alle 16.04.18.png

I think i will pay my 10 euros to mantain, after december 2017... it's impossible to live without...

Level 9
Level 9

@JohnF wrote:

i don't want to be shafted! need to know how to maintain my extra drive space! 

As mentioned you won't lose your stored content but you won't be able to add anything new. That includes anything that takes up space including your gmail account, so emailing may become difficult to impossible.

To keep the extra space you'll have to start paying for it or you could buy a Chromebook which offers 100GB Drive for two years.

Some people have described the Drive offer as a type bait and switch, luring Local Guides into accumulating data such that they're eventually left with a difficult choice, whether to delete content or start paying. Personally I didn't bother redeeming the 1TB when it was offered to me as I could see what was coming.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @Bolar, as of now there are no details regarding the Drive offer extension beyond the 2 or 1 year that was offered. I'd say always keep an eye as there may be some more offers in the future. I bought a $200 Chromebook last year (which I still use) with a 2 year 1 TB promo for Drive. No idea if this will happens again, but it was definitely worth the money.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you will not lose any data stored in the drive even after your offer expired. The data will still be there, and you can read or download them to your computer. But you won't be able to put more until you decrease the storage below your original limit.

But yeah, I'd say don't worry too much about it for now and keep an eye for future opportunities 🙂

Level 1

How to get 1 TB free space in google drive and gmail 

Level 8

I just lost my 1T. I'm not sure why it is gone. Now google is telling me I will not be able to send emails because i am over my limit. 😞

Connect Moderator

Hi @Kangarooshaha, the promotion that you received was for two years only, as indicated in the email that you received with the activation of the promotions. BTW, don't worry, with the appropriate setting you will free a lot of space, and store all your photos and videos for free.

please read: How to use your space in Google drive

Ermes