GearHead's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Maine Lobster Rolls

During the warm weather, I would plan a road trip to Maine for the purpose of eating Maine Lobster Rolls.  Why do I preface "Lobster Rolls" with the word "Maine"?  Well, a true Mainer will tell you that you have to come to Maine to have the sweetest lobsters.  They say that the poor lobsters will get car sick on the drive South down to Boston where I live and never recover.  There is a lot of truth to that, as the lobsters that I buy in Boston never compare in sweetness to the ones that I eat in Maine!

Red's Eats: Let us start with the granddaddy of them all in Wiscasset ME.  This is the benchmark against which all lobster rolls should be measured.  Their location has been used as an eatery since 1938, and the current shack was built in 1954.

Photo 4-Small.jpgPhoto 4-Small.jpg

You have to count on standing in line to place your order.  On a typical Summer day, whether weekday or weekend, the wait could be up to an hour and a half, but I guarantee that it will be worth it!

Photo 5-2.jpgPhoto 5-2.jpg

From left to right: you get wonderful garden salad along with the lobster meat in the Deconstructed Lobster Roll without Bun, a traditional Lobster Roll along with Fried Scallops, and Maine Fried Clams; all washed down with a "Lemon Sting" from Green Bee Honey Soda!  Excellent!

Bite into Maine: You would think twice about getting a Lobster Roll from a trailer, wouldn't you?  I mean it's not even a truck, it's just a trailer!

Bite into Maine food trailer in Fort Williams Park, Cape Elizabeth, Maine (Local Guide @GearHead)Bite into Maine food trailer in Fort Williams Park, Cape Elizabeth, Maine (Local Guide @GearHead)

In this case, this food trailer located in Fort Williams Park on Cape Elizabeth, Maine will surprise you.  Not only do they serve Lobster Rolls, they serve them in 6, count them, SIX flavors!  There's "Maine" (mayo + chives), "Connecticut" (warm butter), "Picnic" (coleslaw, butter, celery salt), "Wasabi" (zingy wasabi mayo), "Chipotle" (smoky chipotle mayo), and "Curry" (yellow Indian curry mayo)!  I know of no other lobster roll eatery that does this.

Photo 1-2.jpgPhoto 1-2.jpg

These lobster rolls are so good that we eagerly devoured half of the Curry and Chipotle before we remembered to take pictures, sorry...

Portland Head Light (Local Guide @GearHead)Portland Head Light (Local Guide @GearHead)

Portland Head Light is also located in Fort Williams Park.  It is said to the the most photographed lighthouse in the world!  So, you get to eat the delicious lobster rolls while enjoying the gorgeous Maine coastline scenery!

Muscongus Bay Lobster:  Here's an authentic lobster wharf which has its own lobster boats.  Surprisingly, there are quite a few of these establishments in Maine.

Photo 4-2.jpgPhoto 4-2.jpg

You can walk up and put in your order, then find one of the many picnic tables scattered around the wharf.

Photo 1-Small.jpgPhoto 1-Small.jpg

On the top plate are two Maine Lobster Dinners consisting of 2 lobsters, corn on the cob, and Steamer Clams. On the bottom plate are a Lobster Roll and Bacon Wrapped Scallops.  Everything is delicious!

Photo 3-2.jpgPhoto 3-2.jpg

Round Pond, Maine offers this beautiful view to go with your wonderful dinner!

Erica's Seafood:  Tucked into one of those thin fingers of land that reaches into the North Atlantic, Erica's offers a scenic setting to enjoy their seafood offerings.  This eatery is known for expertly prepared food at reasonable prices.

Photo 4-Small.jpgPhoto 4-Small.jpg Photo 1-2.jpgPhoto 1-2.jpgFrom top left to bottom right: Space-A IPA from Flight Deck Brewing, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams, 2 Lobster Rolls flanking a Crabmeat Roll.  These are all delicious!

This Lobster Roll Tour took place in September 2020.  Maine has a good profile in this COVID-19 pandemic, so I figured that as long as masks are used and social distancing kept, it would be a safe trip.  I hope the lobster rolls and beautiful Maine scenery will entice you to do your own exploration.  

8 comments
Level 8

Re: Maine Lobster Rolls

That looks yummy! I've never tried the one in Maine, only in Massachusetts. I really love lobster rolls. Thanks for sharing! 

Connect Moderator

Wow, @GearHead, I am blown away by these amazing photos, the delectable dishes, and the tour look amazing. I am happy to be living vicariously through you. I love a good lobster roll and any lobster dish. Is the roll your favorite way to eat lobster or whole cooked, or another way?

#TeamUSA USA | My Contributions | Instagram | @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 5

@JordanSB

When I have the time, eating a whole lobster is the best way to truly taste the sweetness of the Maine lobster meat.  Most places serve a Lobster Dinner complete with a whole steamed or boiled lobster, an ear of corn on the cob, and some Steamer Clams.  This the the typical whole lobster dinner that I would order.  It's a lot of work though, you have to spend the time to seek out all the lobster meat from nooks and crannies.

Lobster rolls, on the other hand is a very convenient way to eat.  All the meat has been extracted for you, all you have to do is to wolf it down!  Most places put some kind of preparation on it, such as melted butter, mayonnaise, and even diced celery.  That is why to truly taste a Maine lobster, get a Lobster Dinner because it's simply steamed and you are given some melted butter to add at your own discretion.

I do find the Lobster Roll to be the most enticing.  The different ways a restaurant prepares its lobster roll is a signature of their expertise.  The Red's Eat Lobster Roll is piled high with so much lobster that it takes my breath away.  Bite Into Maine makes Lobster Rolls in six flavors, and is truly innovative.  Take your pick!

Connect Moderator

Maine is surely a nice state to visit, especially to enjoy the lobster along with the other seafood dishes with the beautiful view.

Thanks for sharing your experience @GearHead 

Agree with you that waiting an hour and half might be worthy to get that awesome and fresh dishes!

Could you please add the Google Maps' link of each places? So we could find the recommendation places from you easily 😃

Talking about lobster, I have tried a good dish to enjoy during the cold day. Here I would like to share with you a bowl of ramen :

Caption : A photo of a bowl of Lobster Garlic Pork Flavor Ramen in San Mateo, California. (Local Guide @Velvel)Caption : A photo of a bowl of Lobster Garlic Pork Flavor Ramen in San Mateo, California. (Local Guide @Velvel)

I would like to inform you, please add @ before the name to communicate with fellow Local Guides on Connect, so that the one you mentioned will get the notification.

Connect Moderator

Wow, @GearHead - I've got to agree with some of my fellow Guides here, your photos and descriptions of these restaurants in Maine have me realizing I am long overdue for my next lobster roll. 

While I haven't had lobster from Boston/Mass, I can confirm many of the lobsters and lobster rolls I've had have been from Maine and they've never disappointed. Miami has its fair share of great seafood restaurants, but not many know how to do a fantastic lobster roll. Of course, the most famous in Miami, Joe's Stone Crab, has a quicker-service option for those not looking to wait for two hours that includes a delicious, hot and buttery lobster roll. If I am not mistaken, they offer it cold as well, but my favorite way to have it is warm.

I haven't had my last roll since 2019, at Bar Harbor Seafood in Orlando, Florida. 

Screenshot_20201216-023808.png

They also were serving a Connecticut lobster roll, which I'd never heard of or tried but I am intrigued!

By the way, have you considered creating your own list of these great spots for rolls in Maine in Google Maps? I'd highly recommend checking out this article to learn how you could get started and help out others who may be looking to take a dive into lobster rolls in Maine as well! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 5

@Velvel
Ramen is another favorite food of mine.  I should do a ramen crawl some day and record the proceedings for Local Guide!

Connect Moderator

Very nice idea @GearHead 😃

That would be great! As a ramen and noodle fan, I am looking forward to it!

Level 8

@GearHead thanks for the info! Have you ever attended the Lobster Fest in Maine? I've been trying to convince my husband we really need to do it this year! We both love lobster. If we make it definitely have to check out some of these places on our drive from Boston up to Maine.