cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

#. MaGIC Series-6. "Grid Lines" help a LOT - Rule of Third's - TravellerG

Dear All...

@DeniGu@Neminath@VijayDesai@ProfArunCM@davidhyno@Anonymous

In this series, I am trying to help the Common people (General), who are not much interested in Photographic Jargon, but interested in Learning “Better Photography”.  

Grid LinesGrid Lines

Hope you might have seen “The Grid Lines” (Two Vertical & Two Horizontal Lines) or 9 Squares in the View finder of many cameras? (Most of the cameras have these Grid Lines, which can be switched ON or OFF; default is mostly OFF - see the "Setting" of your Camera / Mobile to witch it ON)

What are these Lines for? Are they Just lines?

These Lines are as per “Rule of Thirds”!.

This rule helps to place your subject / object, in harmony with the way in which, people naturally look at a photo.

The FACT:

Human brain is Fantastic - Its behavior is very unique.. Hence, our eyes too..

Please look at this photo:

These are “Points of Interest !” – These spots are, where a normal human’s eyes will be interested to primarily see, in a PHOTO. Or, naturally, people’s eyes looks towards these points, rather than the center of a photo. (There are many studies conducted and details are available in Google).

This Rule helps to make your photograph, more interesting, pleasant and balanced to the eye. This rule, also helps to decide where to place your object – whether on the top, bottom, left, right or center of the Grid.

Main Guide-lines are given below; if needed, further details can be provided. (the following Pictures are of mine & from Google)

• "Eye" Level

• "Horizon" Level

• "Tree" Placement

Thanks for reading – If useful, kindly click ‘Kudos’ for me and all the helpful posts of everybody – This promotes the contributors to write more.

Regards

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Yercaud, Tamil Nadu, India
26 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: #. MaGIC - 6 - "Grid Lines" helps a LOT

Hi @TravellerG I like your take on the non photographer side of this. Well done.

Level 10

@TravellerG

It is good begining and hope many of us will be benefitted. 

Level 10

Thank you dear @PaulPavlinovich for your motivating words,

But, Sorry, accidentally, I clicked a "Phi Grid"  for the Home shot (For Connect Display) , not the Standard Grid - Hope you might have noticed it. I think, we will include, other grids (Spiral, etc), on a later stage.

Regs

PS:

Could you kindly suggest anyone, who will be interested to contribute, in Photography & Travel? Please

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Prof,

Thanks for your appreciation - You are a veteran and I am sure, you know much more details.

However, my triumph is to make a very, very simple Photography Series to help the Common Guides (Not for Professionals), who can utilize many more facilities available in many camera (including Mobile).

Regs

Level 10

Dear @PaulPavlinovich and @ProfArunCM,

I humbly request you to suggest the Sequence / Topics / the Direction, the readers may be interested in?, please...

Thanks

Google Moderator

Really easy to understand tips, @TravellerG, thanks for taking the time to share them with us!

I'm using the grid lines from time to time, but rather intuitively than anything else. Your explanation on how we perceive images helped me to realize the rational side of the matter.

Looking forward to your next useful insights!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you dear @DeniGu, happy to see that my post was of some use to you.

Although not much useful, just for knowing that there are other types of Grids also, I am just mentioning for everyone - these Grids may not be useful for normal / day-to-day photography.

Grid (which is explained above) & Phi Grid = Both look almost the same; ie. Standard Grid has equally spaced Vertical & Horizontal lines, where as the Phi Grid  has the (same number of lines, in similar style) but, with "HORIZONTAL" lines more close, making the central rectangle more pleasing to yes (Like 4:3 TV Screen [Std.Grid] & 16:9 TV Screen [Phi Grid]).

[Clock-wise] &  [Anti-clock-wise]

Two more Grids, which are less frequently used by Fashion Photographers, etc.

Thanks

Connect Moderator

I can think of some topics that I often see where Local Guides could have done a little better that might make interesting topics for you. These are situations that an experienced photographer knows ways around but most people don't...

• Avoiding high contrast - e.g. food shot with a bright window in the background washing everything out
  • Avoiding shooting into the sun without any kind of foreground fill light
  • Focus! So many fuzzy photos from LG on Maps
  • Setting the exposure point manually on the thing you want to shoot

Regards Paul

Level 8

@TravellerG

This is great!,

This will deferentially help the newbies and also intermediate camera users.

Keep this series going!!!