Eire27's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

MALAHIDE CASTLE

This is Malahide Castle in north Dublin. It has a long and rich history and played a central role in medieval history and it dates back to the 12th century and is in good condition.IMG-20181116-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20181116-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20181116-WA0005.jpg

The owner, Richard Talbot, arrived in Ireland in 1174 and in 1185 he was granted the lands and harbour of Malahide by King Henry 111 for war-like services in the conquest of Ireland (Ireland was ruled by England then)  Talbot built the castle on his now owned land. Most of the castle is 12th century and it was enlarged and the towers added in the 1600s during the reign of King Edward 1V. The castle and its gardens and land of 268 acres stayed in the Talbot family for 800 years. The last remains member of the Talbot family was Rose Talbot and in 1976  she wished to move to Tasmania, where the Talbots owned land and a home, she lived there for 30 years where she died aged 93 years old. Before she left Ireland, the Irish state bought The Castle, gardens and all its land and demesne. Unfortunately, the contents of the house were sold at auction and dispersed around the world, a huge loss of art work, family heirlooms and antiques built up by generations, huge loss to Ireland. These days the castle, gardens and forests filled land are open to the public all year round. The natural forests are home to wildlife and the castle gardens are kept beautiful and all free. You can sit beside the Castle and enjoy its surroundings. There are tours of the inside of the castle where you can view all the rooms, the tour inside is 12euro adults, 6 euro children or 8euro for students or elderly people, this fee goes to the upkeep of the castle. In recent years there are outdoor concerts held and at Christmas there is a Christmas experience inside the castle. You can get public transport, a bus from Dublin City Centre right to the entrance gates. There are also outdoor adventure parks for children on the grounds. I live around 35 minutes drive from here and my sister lives quite near, , only 10 minute walk, so she walks here most days, in this beautiful place.IMG-20181116-WA0007.jpg

IMG_20181201_025211_580.jpg

IMG_20181120_140415_849.jpg

Dublin, Ireland
9 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: MALAHIDE CASTLE

Hi @Eire27

Thank you very much for your post and pictures.

I like how you did not just add pictures, but also told us something about the history of the castle, gave recommendations how to get there and even said how much is entrance. That is what makes great post and thank you once again for it.

As you said the castle is in a pretty good shape and I like that it still has some utilization even nowadays (Christmas, concerts). I am really sorry that contents of the house were sold at auction and dispersed it is really unfortunate. 

By the way I could not notice how green the grass around the castle is. Well there is a reason why Ireland is called green island.

We are looking for more quality contributions from you. Keep up the good work!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hello @VitB  Thank you very much for your kind words. Yes green is definitely the colour of Ireland 😊

Hi again @Eire27

You absolutely deserve those kind words so no need to thank for them :).

BTW Ireland is one of the few last European countries I have not visited yet, so if you keep posting interesting stuff about Ireland I might visit it soon.

Thanks for taking part & have fun in Local Guides Connect!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @Eire27,

another amazing post from you! Thank you for sharing it with us!

The history is very interesting and it's great that you added so much information about the castle! I wish I will visit it one day!

I'm waiting for your next great post!

Level 8

Thank you so much @PoliMC

Connect Moderator

@Eire27 , thank you for this interesting post and the fantastic pictures.

The Castel is not there, where you markt it on your post, or? 

History and historical buildings are always interesting.

What I most love is the picture with the Irish 🇮🇪 European flag 🇪🇺! Still can’t believe what GB 🇬🇧 has decided... 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Hi @TorM I just typed Dublin for the map under my post, but you can see malahide to the north after portmarnock near the sea. I have done a review of Malahide Castle Demesne and Gardens on Google Local Guides and it is quite popular. Thank you for your nice comments.

Level 9

Wonderful. photos and excellent post!

Dear @Eire27 your post are always interesting and informative,photos are good quality and colorful.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Inga

Level 8

Dear @helga19 Thank you so much ☺