Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Lunar New Year Meetup

Lunar New Year Meetup

Dun Huang Plaza 敦煌广场

9889 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77036, USA

January 25, 2019 @ 18:30 (CST)

This is my 6th annual Lunar New Year celebration in Houston Chinatown. We are going to have hotpot - shopping - drinks at Dun Huang Plaza. Here is the lineup: 6:30 pm - Let's meet for dinner at Shabu House. You pay for what you eat. Each hotpot is around $15 before tax & tips. 8:30 pm - After dinner, we crawl to GW Supermarket. I will introduce the vegetables we ate and fresh seafood section. 9:30 pm - Before the end of the evening, we'll stop by Meccha Macha for some drinks. You pay for what you drink. Please introduce yourself in the Join the Conversation below, so I can contact you for dietary restriction and event updates. RSVP is highly recommended. If seats are full, please join us at adjacent tables. Tea sampling for registered crawlers. #ChinatownCrawl #HoustonFoodie Note: Times are approximate, but we are going to these 3 location in one night.

RSVP here

** Follow me for the next Chinatown Crawl Meetup in Houston, Texas, United States **
9889 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77036, USA
10 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Lunar New Year Meetup

Hi @LouMC,

This sound like it's going to be an awesome day with delicious food and drinks, I wish I could join you!

Nonetheless I hope you want to share the recap with us here on Connect. I would love to see what great food photos will come out of this meet-up.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@MortenSI thanks. I will certainly share them here. 

** Follow me for the next Chinatown Crawl Meetup in Houston, Texas, United States **

I can't wait @LouMC, and feel free to tag me when you do. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @LouMC,

This is great to learn that you have been hosting those meetup for 6 years! I hope many people will join you on this event.

I guess it will be hosted in the Chinatown of Houston, is this right? Do you know something more about the Lunar New Year? As you mentioned, it will be the year of the pig. Do you know which will be the element this time? As it is a 60-year circle calendar every combination of an element and an animal probably has its own specific prosperity beliefs for the year?

I am more than curious to ask if you are Chinese? 你会讲中文吗?

Level 10

due to unforeseen circumstances, dinner location is moved to Sichuan Noodles Restaurant. https://goo.gl/maps/f2jCeakFh532

Price is dropped to around $12 per person. There are still seats open. We are going with family style eating hot pot. 

Hot pot menuHot pot menuSichuan Noodles is at suite C-308Sichuan Noodles is at suite C-308

Level 10

Hi. @TsekoV yes. I have been hosting community meetup in Houston Chinatown since 2014. I have shared a few events with Local Guides Connects. It was amazing experience to meet LG in Houston. But there isn't any formal structure in Houston Community. People are not as active and organizing events became a great challenge. 

I am not familiar with the Chinese Zodiac. But I know the cycle comes every 60 years (12 zodiac and 5 elements). Like this year is the Year of the Earth Pig and last year was Fire Rooster. 

And, Yes. I speak Chinese Mandarin. 

Level 10

20181219_162305.jpg

Meccha Matcha 

Level 10

Clay pot dish with noodlesClay pot dish with noodles

Shopping for what we ate at GW SupermarketShopping for what we ate at GW Supermarket

Level 10

@MortenSI The meetup went well. Except none of Local Guides showed up. There were 5 people said they are going on my meetup page. But only one person was from Houston. I really wish there was a way to filter people within 100 miles can hit RSVP. (2 from Morocco, 1 from South Carolina and 1 from unknown because there was no public photo or review). I will try this again for my meetup event in May.