kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Lucky foods for Chinese New Year

Caption: A photo of steamed dumplings with chili oil drizzled on them on a metal plate at 88 Lan Zhou Handmade Noodles in New York City. (Local Guide Walter Lee)Caption: A photo of steamed dumplings with chili oil drizzled on them on a metal plate at 88 Lan Zhou Handmade Noodles in New York City. (Local Guide Walter Lee)Here in the United States, particularly in the South, it’s tradition to eat black-eyed peas first thing on New Year’s Day to ensure good luck and prosperity in the new year. In Spain, exactly 12 grapes must be eaten for the promise of a good year, while Italians scramble for lentils at the stroke of midnight. And while New Year’s Day in the Gregorian calendar sense is firmly in the past, Chinese New Year is just around the corner.

On Tuesday, February 5, the Year of the Pig kicks off with celebrations that are also known as the Spring Festival. In addition to spending time with family, setting off fireworks, and exchanging little red envelopes full of money, celebrations typically include foods that are considered lucky in Chinese culture.

Ensure your good fortune in the new year with these five lucky dishes:

1. Dumplings

At the center of many Chinese New Year feasts, you’ll find steamed dumplings. They are said to symbolize prosperity due to their resemblance to an ancient Chinese currency.

2. Spring rolls

Another symbol of prosperity due to their golden color and shape similar to a bar of gold, these rolls get their name for the season they kick off when served during the Spring Festival.

3. Whole fish

A whole steamed fish is often found on the table during celebrations for the new year because the word for fish in Mandarin sounds like the word for surplus, symbolizing a prosperous year ahead. Also, because the fish is whole that prosperity will last the whole year.

4. Peking duck

When cooked, peking duck has crispy, red skin, a very lucky color in Chinese culture that symbolizes happiness. This dish also represents fidelity and wholesomeness in the year to come.

5. Longevity noodles

These nearly two-foot-long noodles are often eaten during the Spring Festival to ensure a long life. Be sure not to cut your longevity short by breaking them!

Do you celebrate Spring Festival? Tell us what lucky foods you eat in the comments below!

23 comments
Level 10

Re: Lucky foods for Chinese New Year

i love veg or chicken dumpling . south Asian people called it momo too  

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Bls: Lucky foods for Chinese New Year

Hai @kmajewski ,

Foto kamu terlihat sangat nikmat, apalagi bila disantap saat panas.

Saya juga penggemar pangsit.  Terimakasih telah berbagi

Level 9

Hey @kmajewski :

Thanks for sharing this list! Mandarin oranges is another item that we associate with as well during this festive time of year. In Chinese, the word for mandarin oranges phonetically sounds like the same word as "gold" so to have mandarin oranges is like to having gold or another way to say prosperous! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 6

Hi,

Thank you for sharing and I feel dumpling may be tasty. I have not eaten but I hope to try with youtube and make it at home. 🍽🍽😋😋😋😋😋

Thank you 

Level 7

@.

hi @NiroshaJ !

When are you going make the tasty food at home? Do you like to cooking?   don't forget to share with us after making the tasty food. Thank you ! 

Md Zahidul Islam Opal
Level 6

Hi, @Zahid_opal ,

Yes. I will share. I ❤ cook and if I have time try to make new receipes. 🍽🍽🍽.

Thank you, 

Nirosha

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll celebrate it with my Chinese friends in Milan. Here are some pictures of Peking duck you can eat here, steamed xiaolongbao and grilled dumplings

08212209-F495-42BD-81DE-8C8321D5ABB3.jpeg

Xiao Long Bao at Tang Gourmet, MilanXiao Long Bao at Tang Gourmet, MilanXiao Long Bao at Tang Gourmet, Milan

94227378-DDA5-4D15-A0F8-A29E9E777FC0.jpeg

Level 7

It's really delicious thanks for sharing @Anonymous . 

Md Zahidul Islam Opal
Level 10

Pretty accurate!