geothearch's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Love Speaks in a Tavern

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the boards, and I thought I'd start with a heaping dose of nostalgia that my wife and I found while on our honeymoon in Vermont.

"Love is Spoken Here"

So read the front page of the Skunk Hollow Tavern's website, and having tried all the truly local places in Windsor, VT my wife and I figured that we should put a little travel into our dinner plans and see what the circa 18th century setting had to offer. We both like to eat at places with character and found that the Skunk Hollow Tavern is blessed with plenty of that thanks to a combination of historic tradition, great food, and New England Hospitality. 

My wife and I are fans of grey, rainy days and the pitter-patter of rain that had fallen all day serenaded us as we dodged the droplets and dashed into the tavern and back in time. 

"...You pass through the front door and are greeted by blazing logs in the massive center chimney fireplace. Tables and chairs are laid out on original wide beam hardwood floors around this imposing structure, and on the far side is the polished bar, where thousands of guests from near and far, regulars and first time visitors, have pulled up a stool to be welcomed with true, old-fashioned New England hospitality." (Skunk Hollow Tavern Website)

Though the historic building is wired for electricity these days, only a few strands of fairy lights were lit. The rest of the light came from a burning candle at each occupied table. A fire crackled in the grate and we felt that we'd arrived at a crossroads between times. We were greeted quickly and (having made a reservation earlier), were led upstairs to where our own candlelit table awaited. 

My beautiful dining companion and patient photo model.My beautiful dining companion and patient photo model. As we were served drinks and finished taking photos, we put away our phones and marveled at the sensation of being back in time. With the rain tapping at the wide windows around us and no vehicle noise to speak of, you'd be hard press to name what year it was. We placed our order, and went for different types of cuisine to see if the quality stayed the same across the board (I went with Italian, and she got the burger). Twenty minutes of drinks and conversation later and our food arrived. 

Beautifully plated and equally delicious.Beautifully plated and equally delicious.

Everything was delicious and by the meal's end we were wishing the Skunk Hollow had rooms for rent so we could wander down to the bar, drink in the atmosphere and wonderful selection of wine for a few more hours, then fall happily asleep. Alas, the Tavern is only an eatery, so we skipped the wine and headed back to our hotel. 

We'd definitely go back in a heartbeat if ever in the area again. The cost of the meal was comparable to a nice steak house dinner somewhere, and might have been a little high for what we ordered, but the atmosphere more than made up for the hit to the pocketbook. Love was truly spoke there.

Anyone else have a similar dining experience that was pure nostalgia? Any other historic taverns we need to visit? Thanks for reading!

Geoffrey Havens
Skunk Hollow Tavern, Brownsville Road, Hartland Four Corners, VT, USA
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Love Speaks in a Tavern

Hi @geothearch this is a great post and I'm glad you enjoyed your time at this tavern. We always like to hear about LG experiences.

One issue though, the first image appears to be taken from the internet. Please edit your post to remove it. Copyright and plagiarism are serious. There is a zero tolerance policy of plagiarism on Connect. Please read the Core Values of Connect  and remember the Local Guides Rules.

Your own words and images are so much more powerful.

Level 6

Hey Paul, 

Thanks for the gentle reminder. I would like some additional clarification though. The first image was from the tavern's website and cited as such. I had asked the staff back in June if I could share facets from their website and they agreed verbally, asking that I credit where the information came from. Now, I realize it's hard to prove a verbal permission, so fair is fair. I would appreciate knowing; is this strictly a user-creation only board where I can't incorporate aspects from other sources? No worries if that's the case, I'll change my style accordingly if so.  Thanks for the guidance. 

Geoffrey Havens
Connect Moderator

Thank you for asking @geothearch

This post will explain how seriously Local Guides Connect is considering Copyright: How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?

I am not @PaulPavlinovich, of course 🙂

I clearly understand how difficult is to prove a verbal permission. The linked post will help in this too

Level 6

Thank you for the additional help! I appreciate all the friendly help and guidance. 

Geoffrey Havens
Connect Moderator

Yes @geothearch please, the safest approach is to use your own content on Connect.

You'll see plenty of posts from the posts that do not, but the current requirement is own content.

Thanks to @ErmesT for sharing the link. I'll need to validate some of the text in that post - it is not consistent with the advice given in the moderator channel unless they've chosen to soften that approach again.

Regards Paul

Level 6

Keep Smile!

.............ruditriyanto
Former Google Contributor

Hi @geothearch,

Such a great experience, thanks for sharing.

Did you know that you can share your review and photo of this place on Google Maps instead? It would be really useful for future customers who are looking for more information about this place before visiting it. Your feedback may also be reviewed by the management of mentioned place and therefore make changes to their service accordingly.

You can find more information about it in this article Write reviews and add ratings of places, feel free to check it out.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 5

Hi @geothearch this is a great post and I'm glad you enjoyed your time at this i want to know more about your posts can you share your experience with me ? i would be glad if you share