lukyjay's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Location in name?

Hi

Wondering if the suburb or location can be part of the title?

For example, a bank located in the ennex 100 shopping centre is called Bank at Ennex100. Another example is McDonald's located in Perth being called McDonald's Perth.

Should these be edited out?

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
6 comments
Level 9

Re: Location in name?

@lukyjay nice idea bro. 

Keep smiling 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 7
Level 7

@lukyjay

S I would recommend you to edit  McDonald's Perth into McDonald's because  the Perth location is automatically tagged to that place because of address

Level 10

This is a concept that mystifies me. Especially when I would like some consistency in some of the titles of the places. Here are a few examples. If I type:

• McDonalds, the first five entries I get are: McDonald's Parramatta F/C W/F L5, McDonalds Parramatta W/F L1, McDonald's (just McDonald's, no suburb afterwards), McDonald's Rosehill and McDonald's Westmead.
  • Bunnings, the first five entries I get are: Bunnings North Parramatta, Bunnings Rydalmere, Bunnings Lidcombe, Bunnings Warehouse (which is in Carlingford) and Bunnings Seven Hills. Note that further down the list there's a listing called Thornleigh Bunnings Warehouse, which isn't consistent.
  • Subway, the entries will either be listed as Subway or Subway® Restaurant. None of which includes the suburb it is in. Probably because there can be many different Subways in the city (Sydney has eleven Subways whereas four of them are on the same street).

If you were to do a mass edit of all the places by including the relative suburb they were located in, you might have some difficulty in getting all of them approved in an appropriate time. But I would recommend to add the suburb into the place's title if they were a franchisee. I probably should get all those Subway's fixed up.

Level 10

In particular @NFY if there are multiple Subways in Perth, you should try to include the street or complex that they are in (for example, Subway® Restaurant Carillon City, Subway® Restaurant Perth Railway Station, Subway® Restaurant Murray Street). I only used Subway® Restaurant as an example because they have more restaurants globally than McDonalds.

Level 10

Dear lukyjay,

Hope all's well with you.

Maps Help and My Business Help are great to see what makes a good suggested edit.

"Name: Use the official or primary name for a place. Don’t add any extra comments in the name field." As in: Edit info about a place https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7084895

"Name: Add additional details like address, business hours, and category in the other sections of your business information." As in: Guidelines for representing your business on Google https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 10

Please ignore all my comments above about adding the location of the name as a descriptor at the end of each listing. They should only be known as they are without the place at the end. I learned from asking around via this post.

There are limited exceptions, but they are very rare actually. So edit away. Most of them will go through pending but I've to mark my findings later down the track.