cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld - Best Practices

LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld - Best Practices

is part of LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld - A Local Guides project

The purpose of this topic is to share virtuous behavior - Best practices - about the 3R (Reduce - Recycle - Reuse) - all around the world

We will share in here videos, photos, and more, to create a common area of experiences, that can help others.

We often don't know what other countries are doing about pollution

caption: flowers of calycanthus in my Garden - Jan 2 - photo @ermestcaption: flowers of calycanthus in my Garden - Jan 2 - photo @ErmesT

Here below there is a map, in which we will link your contributions, videos, and more, about best practices all around the world. in this way we can learn by other experiences

I will start with my personal experience

I live in an Italian area, Treviso, where Recycle is an important target. Now the recycling average is 85%, the target is to reach 97% in 2024.

The waste collection in my area is made in two different ways:

• Door to Door collection for Paper, Glass, Plastic, Metals, Horganics, and for the Not Re-cyclable fraction.
  • Collection in an Eco-Center for all the above, plus Wood, High Volume material, Domestic appliances, Brushwood, Batteries, Light bulbs, Paint, and more

We pay a fixed fee, calculated according to the number of people living in a house and the size of the house, plusvariable fee according to the number of collections per year of the  Not Re-cyclable fraction.

We pay usually 140 € per year, that in my country is a very low price. In fact, the company is financing the activity by Re-cycling and selling the re-cycled material.

I am sharing with you a video, made by the waste collection Company that operate in my area, for you to know how it works

What about your country, or other countries that you would like to share as a positive example?

Reply to this post, and add your video, or photos, with a description. We are waiting for you

Ermes

Treviso, TV, Italia
136 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: LocalGuidesCleanTheWorld - Best Practices

@ErmesT It looks like your area is very organized, it's interesting to know how other cities recycle their waste. Thank you for creating this post and sharing how the recycling system works in your area!

In the city of Buenos Aires, where I live, we have Green Points stations, which are places you can drop off what you want to recycle. There are 113 all over the city and there will be more. I don't think that some many people recycle but hopefully most will when there's a Green Point close to everyone.

There are 3 types of Green Points:

• Compactors: Smart trash cans that have solar panels and recolect real time data. They compact the trash when it reaches a certain capacity. If they detect something humid or wet or when they detect that it's full it emits a signal to the truck that collects the trash. There are 11 units.pv_compactador.jpg

• For interior spaces: Trash cans in which medium sized bags fit. These ones are in places where the neighbours commonly go, like supermarkets, clubs and public buildings.pv_de_interior_1.jpg

• For the public road: Bigger trash cans, they have capacity for 200 litres of trash. They are on public spaces and there are only two at the moment.pv_via_publica.jpg

• With personel: There are 59 stations, two of them "special". Special Green Points also receive electrical and electronic equipment. They are in squares and parks and have a trained operator that provides information and advice to residents on recycling.pv_con_atencion.jpg

The GIRO (TURN) Stamp was also recently created, which part of CREAR (CREATE).

CREAR is a certification of sustainability for buildings that evaluates and qualifies them according to:

• The responsible consumption and sustainable public purchases
  • Waste
  • Energy and sustainable construction
  • Water
  • Security

GIRO evaluates and qualifies the quality of waste management in offices. It has three levels of recognition, identified with stars: 1 star (adaptation to current regulations), 2 stars (good practices and commitment to responsible waste management) and 3 stars (optimization, innovation and efficiency in the management of waste).

Level 10

@ErmesT, thanks for sharing Ongoing waste management approach in your area. 

In Kathmandu, Nepal the river system is greatly affected by wastes. So targeting the main river 'Bagmati' the 'Bagmati sarsafai karyakram' (Bagmati cleaning program) is being conducted from public level in each weekend. Though it played a crucial role in taking out waste materials from the river but the river is not clean yet due to drainage system that opens in the river.

Recently smilar type of program is also extended in another river as well. The metropolitan city is taking an action on waste management. Domestic waste is major problem here.

I will edit this comment to add the video when I will be in desktop mode. Thank you so much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings to everyone!!!

♻️ I would like to present here how waste is treated to those who pollute most in the world and those who pollute the least. ♻️

♻️ One of the examples of the negative attitude towards waste, which makes up the majority, including my country, is America, and in the first

video we can see what is their attitude towards the waste in a relation to the Sweden, in which 99% of the waste is burned and converted into energy!!! 👏👏👏

Only 1% is stored in landfills. This system is so developed that Sweden even imports waste from other countries!!! ♻️

♻️ Taiwan encourages its citizens to recycle, calling people with music trash trucks that is time to waste garbage. Currently, Taiwan recycles 55% of its waste!!! ♻️ 

♻️ As for my country of Serbia, only 15% of waste is recycled here!!! 😳 And this is alarming 🔔

The only great progress we have made is in the use of plastic bags, where instead of ordinary, 100% biodegradable bags are used now in General stores 👜.

Yesterday I was visiting the capital city Belgrade, and this is the kind of waste that was brought by the swollen river.

Belgrade Sava riverBelgrade Sava river

Level 8

@ErmesT @Anonymous @BishowvijayaP Yesterday I went out and took some video It was very windy so I kept it short sorry  but I do have some nice 360s to share, I will 

be creating more and better videos soon 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DavidTito, it is really windy there. It is very good that you have the possibility of separating waste on the beach, since it is a very large beach, there are certainly many people on the summer time.

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Jesi for this interesting post about how everything is evolving in a positive way in the city that I still considering my second Home place, Buenos Aires.

The situation was not so beautiful when, 20 years ago, I was living in there, so I am very happy to read you post. I think we should add it in the "Best practices" Mymap that @DavidTito is building up, using this link for your post. Can you also provide a link from Google Maps, @Jesi, for a better localisation?

Do you have also an album to share?

I am tagging @FaridTDF in here, It will be very happy in reading this, together with @TraciC, that was enjoying a visit in Buenos Aires last year

Thank for your help

Ermes

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT I didn't know you lived in Buenos Aires! Where you born here too?

Here is the Google Maps link of one of the specials Green Points and here is a link of the Recycling Centre of the City.

I don't have an album to share as I only took about 2 photos of a Green Point. I got the photos I published in the previous post from the website of the City of Buenos Aires. If you need the album I could try to make a small one with pictures from that website and others I find on Google Maps, giving everyone proper credit.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Jesi

I live in Buenos Aires from 1999 to 2000, as a consultant for a Local Company in Merlo.

We don't need to add photos taken by others, if we have the possibility to use our own photos. We are not in a hurry, so you can take your photos in the future, and maybe @ValeriaA_ can help you

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT it's nice to know that you used to live so close, I visited Merlo more than a few times ☺

I will try to pass by some Green Points and take more photos then, hopefully @ValeriaA_ already took some.