Dr_Mohh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Local Wrestling, Would You Watch?

I came across this wrestling arena in an outskirt village of Bauchi on Wednesday evening when the sun was lowered and the atmosphere was golden with magnificent views. The wrestling competition is done every Wednesday among the villagers and the last man standing after different fixtures would be crowned the winner as the villagers informed me. I loved the environmental setting with great sounds of local drummers. They further informed me that they do the festival is done once in a year  after the harvesting season; when all their farm products are harvested and taken home. The super champion who always wins the crown explained to me that he inherited wrestling talents and stamina from his dad who used to be the champion during their days. He further said that his dad married his mum after winning one of the strongest championships, and she was given to him as a gift for being a super champion consecutively in those years.

It was really amazing watching them performing, and the super champion guy won it again. Would you like to watch their wrestling performance?Super champion on action with opponentSuper champion on action with opponent

The super champion by leftThe super champion by left

The town crierThe town crier

The young shall growThe young shall grow

The battle ground settingThe battle ground setting

Other contestantsOther contestants

Bauchi, Nigeria
15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Local Wrestling, Would You Watch?

Thanks for the share @Dr_Mohh! It's always interesting to see other cultures and you've shared a great set of photos to us too!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 10

Thanks for sharing photos @Dr_Mohh. I love the photo second from top. It has good meaning and lighting is spectacular. Are you local or tourist?

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 6

Thank you @AdrianLunsong I’m glad you loved it. 😊

Level 6

1. @TheEagleEye I’m very excited that you loved it. I’m local, that’s my hometown. I hope you will visit us in the future. 😁
Level 10

@Dr_Mohh yes I hope to visit you some day. Keep up the great work and Local Guide posts.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Google Vendor

Hi @Dr_Mohh,

Thank you for sharing your photos with us. The cultural diversity is amazing. It was so interesting to read about the wrestling and traditions of your hometown. What else will you suggest to visit or see there?

By the way, I relabeled your post to Local Stories, as it fits better there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Thank you @InaS 

Yes, there are other great things to do in Bauchi which includes safari to view the wildlife animals, swim in a natural warm spring water which is very crystal clear, hike on beautiful mountains and hills for a magnificent view especially during sunset or sunrise, visit ancient monuments and palaces, and many other adventures.

Google Vendor

This sounds so interesting @Dr_Mohh. What is the best time to travel? Have you ever went to a safari? I would like to try it at least once.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

@InaS The best time to travel is all the months except August, September and October because of heavy rains and difficult to see the wildlife animals during that period. Yes, I have been to safari many times, it’s a great experience. 😊