StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Local Guides program needs Level 5+ and beyond

Just over a year after the introduction of the Google Local Guides program, which currently has its highest level at Level 5 (500+ points), many fellow local guides have already maxed out at Level 5. Google Local Guides program directors should consider adding additional levels or maybe readjust the points system to keep higher contributors motivated. Personally I know many people who have reached just above 500 points and have stopped contributing. 

19 comments
Level 9

Re: Local Guides program needs Level 5+ and beyond

Stephen,

I agree with what you have said. There is a need for more levels beyond 5. To me, it is not that important what the rewards are. It would be nice to get something but it is more important to have a level to be challenged by. I have not stopped at 500 and have no idea how far others have reached. Having higher level numbers will reflect that.

Maybe if you reach level 10 you get to drive one of the Google Street View cars around for a day.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Muir
Admin - Global Guides
Level 10

1 unit Google stock for every 500 points above 500. :-).. How about that for motivation.

Level 8

Motivation and rewards are always important. It is not so much the value of what a Local Guide Level 5+ will earn, but it is a recognition for his/her contribution to this program.

Without us and the many hours we have spent adding places, reviewing places and adding photos, Google Maps wouldn’t be the same. Google should recognize it and find a good way to reward us who continue contributing daily.

Connect Moderator

When will it end though? Let's say they add level 6-10, once people reach level 10, then what? With leveling system the craving will always be there, and there will be no end. Rather than more levels, I would rather have individual badges for different kind of accomplishments (i.e. review 50 fast food restaurants, upload 100 photos, edit 25 places, for example).

Personally I think Local Guides should keep contributing for the idea that what they do will improve information and we basically help each other (and not for the sake of chasing points), but I understand that might be too idealistic. So yeah I agree some kind of gamification is needed to keep people motivated. 

Level 7

This is a problem that Ingress sort of faced. When they expanded levels from 8 to 16, they also added badge requirements, for specific achievements, but some people who have reached 16 have gone on to get the highest levels in every badge. 

At some point, though, you are either self motivated, or you aren't. Infinite badges don't really make sense. 

Level 3

I agree with what you are saying, but I am wondering where you live. If you are in a big city, you could probably get to level 20 (if there was one) because there is always something new happening. But where I live, there more Local Guides than there are things changing. It would be fun to try to get to higher levels, but I think that in a lot of places it would take many years for it to happen.

Connect Moderator

@JasonW I think it's the opposite. In the big cities most of the information is already correct, so there's nothing much to edit or add. In small towns, there are many missing places to add, or edits to be made, so people there will actually be able to gain points a lot faster. Keep in mind you can do this with whatever (well, almost..) you can find the location on Maps, and not just restricted to restaurants (for example..)

Level 10

Level 9

@iyudhi you are correct that people will always strive to reach the top level and that there is no end to this. I have been thinking about this issue and the debate is becoming philosophical. This means that it is examining what motivates people to do things. There are some patterns that have emerged that I have noticed in the last several months.

• The biggest draw appears to have been Level 4 with the 1TB drive. Many people reached level 4 and stopped. Also, many people have complained about the reduction from 1TB to 100GB last month. Obviously, these people are only focused on the gain and consider their time work for the prize. People with this motivation will only be interested in more levels if there is something worth getting. Either this thinking is fairly common, or these LG are just more vocal. It would not matter to people if new levels were added without any obvious benefit.
  • Another class of people are competitors. They want all the levels and badges to be higher ranked than others. The focus is not on the benefits but rather how difficult it is to achieve a new level or badge. A very competitve person will keep on pushing as long as there is someone else competing. If there is nothing left to get and no one competing, this motivation is bound to suffer.
  • Altruism is another motivation. In its pure form, a person wanting to help others does not care about points or levels. Typically you will not hear from these people and they do not expect anything in return. The quality of their material is higher and typically they will make sure they are providing the right data and not rushed. It is hard to say how many people believe this. However it would make sense that many people are altruistic in part.
  • Social media attracts very social people. The currency is based on interaction. Google Maps provides the background for finding special places and meeting up with friends. These seems to be the context of what has been the focus of the messaging of Local Guides. Typically this model does better in cities where people can actually find ways to gather at these found places.  With this kind of thinking, it is more about people than levels or badges UNLESS someone is trying to gain trust/respect at the beginning of the relationship.
  • On the flip side, there is the lone wolf that happily chugs along fixing up Google Maps without much interaction with others. The technology is all there between photography and Google search/maps/street view. It is just an exercise in time and distance. It is not so much about the most popular/special places as trying to make sure everything is correct. This kind of person like recognition but will continue work regardless. It becomes a hobby/challenge.

There are many different types of people participating in Local Guides. This was just a brief attempt to categorise them.

From this list, the most obvious category that needs more levels/badges is the competitor. Without anything to gain in recognition, there are no competitive battles. I do not mind the idea of badges. My only objection is that Google has already started a process based on levels. Either they need to grow the levels or switch to badges. It would be possible mix and match the two. Maybe even more simply, they could just use the points and ditch the levels.

Obviously there is a need for these kinds of incentives otherwise they would not be around.

The closing point is that Google Local Guides needs to do something to expand the system.

Maybe the thinking is that if you reach Level 5, you no longer need to be motivated. You are already committed 🙂

Jeff

Jeff Muir
Admin - Global Guides