CharlesThoquenne's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Local Guides and me, a story that gives me wings

Hi everyone, I'm Charles, 30 yo. Exploring, eating, running and photographing are my daily hobbies.

Crossing the finish line of a 100 miles trail race with my girlfriendCrossing the finish line of a 100 miles trail race with my girlfriend

I live in a paradise called Reunion island. Unfortunately, too few people know where it is, a little clue? somewhere between Madagascar and Mauritius in Indian ocean. This island is a paradise for a Local Guide, there are so many things to enjoy, taste and explore. The diversity of fauna and flora is really incredible. I gave myself the mission to share the places I discover, to the tourists but also to local people. I love eating, discovering new places, sharing good plans and above all, taking photos (check my Instagram!). I try to rate/add/modify places in Google Maps as much as I can. Few weeks ago, I've started to build a Local Guides Community. For now, it's just a tiny community but I hope that it will grow and help/encourage more people like me to enrich maps. Organizing a LG meetup is clearly my next goal in this adventure.

banniere_community.JPG

Google Maps is an incredible tool and not a day goes by without I use it. I like maps and satellite views (btw the new Google Earth is awesome!). My eyes stay glued to the window when I’m on the plane! My story with the Local Guides program started nearly two years ago. To be honest, the little thing that made me contributing at first was the points system. Google goodies and Drive storage was a good motivation! During the past few years, I've lived in Saudi Arabia, India, Sénégal, Ivory Coast and Madagascar and travelled a lot. Visiting all these places really helped me to quickly reach level after level. When I saw I could reach the level 5, contributing in Maps had almost become an obsession. My friends has sometimes called me "Google man"... At that time, I never thought that the beginning of this "love story" could one day bring me to SF! Yet this is what happened! Last year, I had the incredible luck to attend the LG Summit 16. I really enjoyed meeting the 74 other Local Guides. I learned so much from them. Some of these LG has become friends and most of us stay in touch everyday since the Summit. We’re now like a family with the same goals! That's why I'm so excited applying for the second times! Because of my job in IT, I also really enjoyed the workshops with Google engineers. And of course, visiting the Gogleplex was amazing, like a pilgrimage to Mecca! I could have posted the several thousands photos taken during the few days of the summit but this post would not be enough and LocalGuidesConnect's servers would crash 🙂

75 happy Local Guides during #LGSummit16 (Credit Google)75 happy Local Guides during #LGSummit16 (Credit Google)

Little jogging on SF's seafront (credit JessicaS)Little jogging on SF's seafront (credit JessicaS)Silverfoxes team visiting Mission District. Yay!! (Credit SunP)Silverfoxes team visiting Mission District. Yay!! (Credit SunP)This year, I'm glad to present you my video application for the #LGSummit17. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I had fun doing it ! (I decline all responsibility in case of problem/pain to your ears because of my awful French accent :D). 

7 comments
Level 9

Re: Local Guides and me, a story that gives me wings

I always look forward to the posts that you share! Such a gorgeous place that you live in @CharlesThoquenne!! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

@CharlesThoquenne I love this Reunion island. I was thinking about my next year holiday plan. I think this is a perfect place 🙂

Level 8

Thank you @Shirley ! 🙂

Level 8

@IlankovanT Reunion is a perfect place for a Local Guide! My doors are open if you come someday!

Level 9

@CharlesThoquenne you are so kind. surely I will come there.

Level 8

Congrats to all #THE150 who have been selected for the #LGSummit17! I guess you are as excited as I were last year when I received the mail "Pack your bags". That is definitely a first great memory in this adventure!! You're going to live exceptionnal moments that you'll remember, a long time for sure.
This year, I won't be part of this great event but I'll follow you through the web and some of #THE75 who attended the first summit.

The thing I know is that you'll be in good hands with the LG team and some of the #THE75. Be careful, your family is going to grow a lot in October! 🙂

Level 9

@CharlesThoquenne I'm sad to hear you won't be joining us! But one of these days, I will find you in Reunion Island!!!! Until then... Please keep sharing the gorgeous photos! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!