AnoukV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Local Guides Summit: the countdown is on!

Having seen a fair amount of questions and threads about the Local Guides Summit, and with it being less than two weeks away, I thought I’d post a little more information to all you Level 5's and how you can follow along.

lgsummit.png

When, why, how?

The first ever Local Guides Summit will kick off on September 12th in San Francisco, followed by a full day of talks and workshops at Googleplex in Mountain View on Tuesday and a full day of workshops and local exploration in San Francisco on Wednesday. This will be an incredible opportunity to bring together some of our most passionate and engaged Level 5 Local Guides who will have a chance to get to know each other and Googlers throughout the week. We’ll be discussing the various contributions types, new features and the in’s and out’s of organizing meet-ups, as well as gathering feedback about Local Guides Connect. There will also be plenty of opportunities to mingle, meet Googlers and explore the San Francisco Bay Area. Google is covering flights, visas, three nights of accommodation and all meals.

Who got selected and how?

We selected 75 Local Guides from over 40 countries from across the globe to attend. Applications, which required Level 5 Local Guides to fill in a form and submit a 60 second video showing their passion for the program, opened in early April and closed later that month. The team went through over 1000 applications and had to whittle them down to 75 lucky participants. We selected these by participants based on their consistent and high quality contributions to Google Maps as well as their community involvement (eg. hosting meet-ups, being a moderator).

Can I apply next year?

We’ll be sending updates about next year’s summit early next year, so keep your eyes peeled on our social channels and here on Connect.

Can I follow along this year’s summit?

Yes, please do! Our team of community managers will be posting live updates on all our social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Google+), including live video. There will be interviews with participants, community managers and an insider’s peek of Google HQ. Drop into social and keep an eye on the hashtags #LocalGuides and #LGSummit16 on September 12-14 to join the fun. 

San Francisco, CA, United States
20 comments

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Re: Local Guides Summit: the countdown is on!

@Benjet415 Hi Ben and all, look out for a message in your inbox about this soon after the Summit!

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @AnoukV,

I am sure not only L5 LGs wants to follow the LGSubmit16 online.

I hope there can be more "realtime" feeds at LGC for all LGs, it will be a very good tool to attract more LG come here.

I have no idea if LG communities at FB/Twitter/G+ can restrict readership based on LG Levels or not.

I don't want to find out FB/Twitter/G+ have more official updates of LGSubmit16 than LGC for any of us.

Good point @YK1001

We will also be posting on the public Connect board for all Local Guides to tune into the live updates from the Summit (which of course will be open to all!)

Level 9

Yes 

Make it available on YouTube for people who have applied for it . So that they can attend the important parts of the meetings and get updated via hangout on air . 

Which is not familiar to so many people - YouTube live will be a wonderful option so that more and more people could be connected and trained directly . 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 5

@AnoukV Sounds like a fun time! : D I'm excited to see the live video!

"Your friendly neighborhood Local Guide"
Level 7

thank you for the information.Thats really helpful and a bit sad as I missed that.

Level 8

Hi @I_m_Saurav,

I am sure the participants will have good discussions that will shape the directions of Local Guides and the communities for future developments.

And all of us LGs can enjoy the results of their <hard> works during the Submit.

Following the recent waves of Beta Features in Maps, I am sure they will have enough to digest during the Submit.

Anyone want to guess if we will see more new features in Maps before the Submit kicks off?

Level 8

Yes..,

It is good platform to selected LG's to improve and expose their performance, that helps to other local guides to improve their contribution on Google Map...

Ganesh Krishna Soordelu
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/107546818522123617136/reviews/@13.0054542,77.5676733,13z?hl=en
Level 9

Per LG team's last email on the topic (5/26/16) - 

"As a thank-you, we want to give you exclusive access to videos of select sessions from the summit. We’ll be in touch in August with more details."

Did anyone (who is not attending the summit) hear anything in Aug?

Level 8

Hi @Benjet415,

As the topic post message is published on Aug 31, will you consider this is the details that we should have, in August?