cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Local Guides Summit 2017 Email

Like U man What u wrote.

@JGordicho wrote:

I think Google should publish a list with the names/usernames of the ones selected... till now, i've only seen like 15people on Instagram that were happy to be part of this Summit... where are the other 135?

If I would be selected, I would be really happy and would also share it with the world...

Maybe they are still informing people...?

Connect Moderator

@JGordicho Google has stated that they will not publish the list of the chosen attendees. The fact that they're not sharing on Instagram doesn't mean that they're not happy they were selected. Some might chose to share on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. Some might chose to not share at all, and we should respect their decision. Last year, a few chosen attendees received abuse for sharing their acceptance news, questioned why they got picked instead of others. This is something that some people would like to avoid.

Also, the chosen attendees was notified last Friday, and was given until Tuesday to RSVP.

Level 10

I understand what you are explaining but if this is a selection process the results should have been public. There are ways to assure the privacy of users, even when publishing names...
Like this you've just created expectations and undeceive us... There were lots of users that have done lots of work and do not see any advantages or rewards...

JGordicho
Connect Moderator

@JGordicho I'm not sure understand your point. You stated that 'There were lots of users that have done lots of work and do not see any advantages or rewards'. How would listing on the list of attendees help solving this issue?

Keep in mind there's only 150 spots. I truly believe that there are a LOT more than 150 qualified applicants, but unfortunately the spots are limited. Google has tried their best to pick the best Local Guides to come to the Summit, according to their criteria. It's not an easy and simple process, and one person's opinion from others can be different. How would you actually find the true 150 people to be selected to the Summit that everyone can agree on?

Level 10

By showing the list we would be able to see that there are actually 150 selected Guides.....

I think that in the future they should also value amount of pictures, picture quality, picture views, place reviews and some other things instead of just the 1min presentation... 1 minute is not enough to show 1 year of dedicated work...

Besides, as I already said in some other ocasions, they should also make an Europe Summit instead of just doing one in the US...

But well... nothing to do now... a bit disappointed though...

JGordicho
Level 10

Good point there. I wonder what is the next step after receiving the email and replying that we will attend? Are we supposed to receive a form or call for visa application, etc? 

Happy Ramadhan to all muslims

@iyudhi wrote:

@JGordicho I'm not sure understand your point. You stated that 'There were lots of users that have done lots of work and do not see any advantages or rewards'. How would listing on the list of attendees help solving this issue?

Keep in mind there's only 150 spots. I truly believe that there are a LOT more than 150 qualified applicants, but unfortunately the spots are limited. Google has tried their best to pick the best Local Guides to come to the Summit, according to their criteria. It's not an easy and simple process, and one person's opinion from others can be different. How would you actually find the true 150 people to be selected to the Summit that everyone can agree on?

. Peace + love ... 🙂

Level 9

@TraciC 

Hi Traci! 

I hope this message finds you well. 

Although it is very late, are applications still being considered under special circumstances? 

To date, I have been fortunate and the results with Contributor have been very successful. I have seen the potential that Google Contributor has and always ask myself, how can it be improved? Or, what other incentives can be provided for contributors to go out of there way and help make improvements across the world? Outside of helping other people with reviews, added places, photo's, it is not exactly something one can make money off. However, I asked myself the question, if I was able to drive 120,000 views to a single business with just one photo, I wonder what that is worth to that business? Prior to submitting that photo, none existed. 

Below is the business driven to Mr. Nicks Pizzeria in Tarrytown, NY.

Mr Nicks on Google.PNGM Albertell Mr. Nicks.PNG

I am elated that Mr. Nicks (great pizza by the way!) is receiving so much traffic and business. However, I thought to myself there must be a way to make money off this for places that do not exist, or businesses that are not aware of the importance of Google My Business, and how powerful a tool it can be. So, I took some photo's of businesses where I knew the owner. They would see the spike in business, they know that I can build websites and have taken a liking to photography, and setup their Google My Business. 

I started to create Google My Businesses for buildings that were not indexed, did not show up because of old street map views, and then turned them into websites.

33 Beekman Dashboard.PNG33 Beekman Driving Request Direction past month.PNG33 Beekman Map Views.PNG33 Beekman SERP Google.PNG

For instance, 33 Beekman, which is the world's tallest dorm owned by Pace University, did not show up on Google Maps at all. If you were to Google the precise location using street view, a construction image would appear, from years ago. I updated all of that and what appears now is not only the building, but Google My Business, and an actual website. 

https://www.pacehousing.com/

All the photo's on the website were taken with my phone! 

Pace University Dorm View.jpgPace University Dorm View 2.jpgPace University Cover Photo Google My Business.jpg

On my personal website, I built a page dedicated solely to Google My Business, and how vital it is for businesses to have one. I break things down very clearly and it can be seen here https://malbertell.com/google-appearance/. I did that for Hair On The Hudson in Tarrytown, NY. There business has exploded and made a small fortune. Their staff never changed, there business did not get an upgrade, but what it received was the benefits of Google My Business and Google Contributor. I see hundreds of businesses missing out of the very same thing I did for them! 

What I love about doing this is it's truly a win-win for everyone. However, I do not think enough people know about this and it would be an honor for me to do this on a larger scale. The results have been incredible and I truly believe this is only the tip of the iceberg. 

This is my passion and I have so much fun doing it but as you can imagine, it is extremely time consuming. I can't even begin to think what it would be like to do this across the world. I genuinely believe it can help hundreds, if not billions of people. If it's helped millions already, with my two main areas being in New York and Western Florida, I can't even begin to think what it could be if given the opportunity to do so on a larger scale. 

Again, nothing changed intrinsically about Hair On The Hudson. However, once their online presence did, their business went to new heights. How many other "Hair On The Hudson's" are there I wonder? I am eager to hopefully find out and I think this is one of the greatest platforms that currently exist. 

I hope to hear from you and am very eager to see what you think about this and the new point system. 

Thank you! 

Quick highlights from Contributor: 

• Over 2,000,000 views of photos 
  • Have 6 Google My Businesses 
  • Added 6 places that never existed
  • 2106 answers 
  • 1397 photo's

Level 10

@malbertell wrote:

@TraciC 

Hi Traci! 

I hope this message finds you well. 

Although it is very late, are applications still being considered under special circumstances? 

To date, I have been fortunate and the results with Contributor have been very successful. I have seen the potential that Google Contributor has and always ask myself, how can it be improved? Or, what other incentives can be provided for contributors to go out of there way and help make improvements across the world? Outside of helping other people with reviews, added places, photo's, it is not exactly something one can make money off. However, I asked myself the question, if I was able to drive 120,000 views to a single business with just one photo, I wonder what that is worth to that business? Prior to submitting that photo, none existed. 

Below is the business driven to Mr. Nicks Pizzeria in Tarrytown, NY.

Mr Nicks on Google.PNGM Albertell Mr. Nicks.PNG

I am elated that Mr. Nicks (great pizza by the way!) is receiving so much traffic and business. However, I thought to myself there must be a way to make money off this for places that do not exist, or businesses that are not aware of the importance of Google My Business, and how powerful a tool it can be. So, I took some photo's of businesses where I knew the owner. They would see the spike in business, they know that I can build websites and have taken a liking to photography, and setup their Google My Business. 

I started to create Google My Businesses for buildings that were not indexed, did not show up because of old street map views, and then turned them into websites.

33 Beekman Dashboard.PNG33 Beekman Driving Request Direction past month.PNG33 Beekman Map Views.PNG33 Beekman SERP Google.PNG

For instance, 33 Beekman, which is the world's tallest dorm owned by Pace University, did not show up on Google Maps at all. If you were to Google the precise location using street view, a construction image would appear, from years ago. I updated all of that and what appears now is not only the building, but Google My Business, and an actual website. 

https://www.pacehousing.com/

All the photo's on the website were taken with my phone! 

Pace University Dorm View.jpgPace University Dorm View 2.jpgPace University Cover Photo Google My Business.jpg

On my personal website, I built a page dedicated solely to Google My Business, and how vital it is for businesses to have one. I break things down very clearly and it can be seen here https://malbertell.com/google-appearance/. I did that for Hair On The Hudson in Tarrytown, NY. There business has exploded and made a small fortune. Their staff never changed, there business did not get an upgrade, but what it received was the benefits of Google My Business and Google Contributor. I see hundreds of businesses missing out of the very same thing I did for them! 

What I love about doing this is it's truly a win-win for everyone. However, I do not think enough people know about this and it would be an honor for me to do this on a larger scale. The results have been incredible and I truly believe this is only the tip of the iceberg. 

This is my passion and I have so much fun doing it but as you can imagine, it is extremely time consuming. I can't even begin to think what it would be like to do this across the world. I genuinely believe it can help hundreds, if not billions of people. If it's helped millions already, with my two main areas being in New York and Western Florida, I can't even begin to think what it could be if given the opportunity to do so on a larger scale. 

Again, nothing changed intrinsically about Hair On The Hudson. However, once their online presence did, their business went to new heights. How many other "Hair On The Hudson's" are there I wonder? I am eager to hopefully find out and I think this is one of the greatest platforms that currently exist. 

I hope to hear from you and am very eager to see what you think about this and the new point system. 

Thank you! 

Quick highlights from Contributor: 

• Over 2,000,000 views of photos 
  • Have 6 Google My Businesses 
  • Added 6 places that never existed
  • 2106 answers 
  • 1397 photo's

Hi @malbertell congratulations for your work and your dedication, but i think you are not working the right way: mybusiness is a different program from local guides, although some of us (included me) are also SVT photographer that offer MyBusiness support.

You should create MyBusiness in behalf of a customer/manager, and not by your own when you find a building that is not on maps; as a local guide you have (some) tools to improve the map.

Regardind last time summit request, i'm pretty sure this is not possible, but i encourage you to go on with your activities (keeping in mind what i wrote) to be ready for the next summit!
Best luck.

Level 8

@JGordicho, boa noite. Sobre o assunto do Google não publicar ou mesmo as pessoas escolhidas publicarem, eu acho que o importante nesta comunidade é fazer contribuições sem a expectativa de ser escolhido para o LGSummit. Eu mesmo, como sei que muitos LGs também, fiquei muito apreensivo em poder ser escolhido e isso me fez contribuir muito e melhorar o meu aprendizado nesta comunidade. Mas não ser escolhido mostrou-me que tenho muito a aprender a contribuir.

Sobre os critérios da escolha, tenho certeza que o Google não iria levar para San Francisco pessoas que não fossem muito capacitadas para estarem lá.

Eu considero que o meu projeto para o LG summit 2018 iniciou-se a partir do dia da escolha para o LG summit 2017. 

Abçs!!!

Googler

@malbertell I echo what @LucioV said. Regarding the summit, applications have been closed for some time and no further applications will be considered, but thanks for sharing your story. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.