JeroenM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Local Guides Academy - Your Thoughts?

“There is so much to learn!”

These were the first words a new Local Guide posted on the Local Guides (LG) Connect forum recently, and it is so true.

It was only in February this year that I joined the LG Program myself. I started by simply adding a few reviews, and through a chain of events got sucked into the community on Connect, just before the Mapping Your World Week in March.

Being drawn to the official LG Program, of course, I wanted to do more than just write reviews. However, at the beginning I was terrified to submit edits to Maps. Who am I, as a complete novice, to make such impactful decisions? Of course, this initial “paralysis” was in part due to the fact that I didn’t realize initially that Google has all kinds of safety nets to prevent mistakes (e.g. by beginners) making it to the actual live map. But then I learned that Google monitors your credibility. In other words, the more valid edits you make, the faster and more likely they are going to be accepted. However, for those seeking to increase their credibility, this didn’t help my initial paralysis that much.

I am retired, so have plenty of time to spend time on the Connect forums in order to educate myself. I was looking for guidelines: a rule-book or just any form of guidance, but this turned out to be far more difficult that I had expected. Yes, the Connect forums contain a treasure of knowledge. I love, for example, some of the explanations by Gregg concerning why certain things should be done in a certain way, or when fellow Local Guides write about their encounters with shop-owners, etc. The trouble is, there is no button to get a plate-full of “cherry-posts”; you must harvest the forum for hours to be able to pick enough for a decent meal.

Then I came across a challenge. When reading all these posts, it is difficult to evaluate the degree of “authority” of the authors from their answers on the forums. Sure, most have reached Level 5, but that doesn’t make you an expert on any specific topic per se. During my harvesting, I came across a lot of what I call “substandard cherries”: an individual has a query and posts it, a well-meaning member of the community answers and the person who posted the question in the first place is empowered to mark that answer as the solution to the query, regardless of the quality of the advice. As a test, I took a few test cases and read all the posts related to a certain topic when searching the forums to check whether the given answers were at least consistent; they weren’t. The trouble is, you cannot expect everyone to have the time to be so thorough in checking the facts, or indeed, expect Local Guides to make such investments of time in checking consistency, accuracy, etc.

I’m sure that Google is aware of this situation, but wants to keep the instructions on the Help-Desk as simple as possible. The last thing they want to do is to discourage a new enthusiastic Local Guide by showing them all the things they need to know before they feel capable to edit maps. I infer that the thinking is: with the safety nets in place, it is okay to let them just get on with it and learn by doing.

To take an analogy close to the hearts of many local guides – photography – the novice amateur may simply shoot as many pictures as they like, and barely ever progress beyond this stage; nothing wrong with that. Others want to invest more in their hobby, recognizing how much better one can be with even a modest degree of investment in understanding light and form. I think it’s similar with the forum. I see a lot of people in our Local Guides communities (both Connect and the 283+ unofficial ones) that see being a Local Guide as their hobby; some take it very seriously and are highly motivated to become as savvy as possible, but are they being offered the resources to do this? Is all that potential being optimally used?

In my opinion, the Connect forums do currently not fulfil all the needs of the more advanced community members. These committed members of our community would have a lot more to offer to Google and the Local Guides community if they were more united and shared some common direction.

As I have come to realize that it is probably not in Google’s interest to have an official certification program and lots of official resources with pages of rules and guidelines, the alternative approach seemed obvious: that it should come from the bottom up: from the community itself. Realizing this, several pieces of the puzzle fell in to place.

As a co-moderator of my local unofficial LG community, I was already thinking about some kind of exchange program whereby community moderators would share content. It came up after I started to develop initial ideas for quizzes and case studies to be used by our individual unofficial LG community, but why limit it to that? How great would it be if all 283 other LG communities would submit one quiz or case study to an exchange bank of resources? We would have enough educational contents for our G+ sites for years to come.

Soon enough, I came to realize that the materials produced by this interactive group would need to be scrutinized for quality, rather like peer review in the academic world. Hence, the idea of having a system of faculties by discipline: advanced LG photographers as “academics” in a Faculty of Photography; ex-Regional Leads and Top Contributors united in a LG Faculty of Map Editing, etc.

Therefore, the initiative of the Local Guides Academy was born.

By collaborating as a team, exchanging ideas, sharing knowledge and by promoting best practice in the LG community in a concerted manner, members of the Academy can help raise the community standards and become an even greater asset of the LG program.

So, that’s the idea. Now, what are your thoughts on it, either in principle or on the specifics. I believe there’s quite some undiscovered territory out there, and I really welcome any feedback and thoughts on the role of the new (unofficial community) Academy as a community-driven collaboration.

For those of you that are interested, you can find our G+ community website here. For questions related to our partnership program or our current programs, such as our Certification Program, please visit our Q&A area at our helpdesk.

Jeroen Mourik
Founder of the Local Guides Academy

14 comments
Level 9

Local guide academy

I have recently saw a link of Local guides academy .Can anyone please elaborate that?

And is it from GOOGLE? What is does please answer me??    https://plus.google.com/+AmiteshGayen/posts/j5XHy6KFexx

Level 7

Re: Local guide academy

Hey There,

Hope you're doing really well at your end. As far as my knowledge is concerned, I doubt if it is related to Google in any way. As they have mentioned that its being run by fellow Local Guides. Must be being managed by someone like you and me.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Cheers,
Zalak

Level 10

Re: Local Guides Academy - Your Thoughts?

Level 7

Level 7

This is really a cool initiative. I am with @JeroenM.

Level 9

Great thing.I already joined.
Level 8

@Icok @amdavadiZalak

Thank you for answering this forum post.
I am the owner of this UNOFFICIAL local guides community, as is clearly stated on all our websites. And yes it is run by fellow local guides (community driven) who are all committed to promote best practice and facilitating learning opportunities in the Local Guides Community.

@SDatta

Thank you for your interest in the Local Guides Academy.

You ask what does it does and you are right to ask, because the answer is not simple, and you might therefore be confused.

We have lot of plans to contribute in a positive way to the official local guides program and our community. As mentioned by @amdavadiZalak, people on our governing body - the Academy's Council - are in fact all participating owners of recognized unofficial Local Guides Communities. We are a partnership and still in our start-up phase.

Here are a few examples of what we are setting up right now:

We are setting up an exchange bank for moderators of our Local Guides Communities. We have already opened an Community Moderator Area, where moderators of LG communities (not only the owners) can hang out, share ideas, success stories and exchange knowledge. But the idea for the partnership started by thinking that if for example 52 members of the group would make a each one educational LG quiz, that all members would get enough quizzes to publish one per week for one year.

In addition, we are creating our own community best practice guidelines. Including scripts, what to do in certain situations. We would like to translate these resources in multiple languages and share it with the overall LG community. We have already invited interested translators to apply for a volunteer position on our Language Team.

Then we are setting up Faculties, of which the members are:
- "Academics" (respected experts in the LG community and scholars of our Academy) They will help write our resources, peer-review all publications and are responsible for the curriculum of our courses.

- Teachers and their assistants (in-house trained and in-house certified people) who would like to facilitate our courses, using the lesson materials and curriculum created by the "Academics".

- Students (Local Guides that would like to go beyond expectations, to be the best that they can be) who participate in the courses provided by the Faculty and once completed successfully get accredited with a Local Guides Academy Certificate for the course and grade they graduated.

I hope this answers your question. For more questions please go to our Q&A pages at www.localguides.academy/help-desk/
and to echo @Icok, please share your thoughts at the forum thread I published yesterday: "Local Guides Academy - Your Thoughts?" here.

With kind regards,

Jeroen Mourik
Founder of the Local Guides Academy - an unofficial Local Guides community

Level 8

@SDatta

Thank you for your enthusiastic response. You probably noted that I just answered your earlier post from last Friday, asking about the Academy.  I did not want to keep your question unanswered. I suggest you give the credit for "Solving" your question though, to one of the other Local Guides who directed you to this forum post.

For those that already joined, like @CapitalH and @LucioV. Of course, thank you for expressing your support to the collaboration-project here. Perhaps you have ideas though of what the Academy could be and perhaps should not be, and why?

I welcome a healthy, constructive discussion here. 
Thank you all for participating.

Jeroen

Level 10

@JeroenM A good initiative. I think it would be nice to show people visiting your site that it is not an official Google Local Guide Academy. I saw you have mentioned it below, better to make it more prominent.