AnoukV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Guides Summit 2017 - Applications Open April 3rd

Former Google Contributor

diverse-local-guides.png

On behalf of the Local Guides team, I am happy to announce the Local Guides Summit 2017, our second annual summit taking place in San Francisco, California this October.

Last year, we held our inaugural Local Guides Summit, selecting 75 applicants from 37 countries for two days of talks, workshops, breakout sessions and local exploration at Google offices in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. Check out the recap video, recap post, and photos to experience what it was like for attendees.

This year we’re back, for a slightly bigger summit — we’re selecting 150 applicants — in the San Francisco Bay Area on October 10-12, 2017. We’ve taken into account the highlights and the learnings from last year and we are in full planning mode to make it an incredible experience for all. What’s more: we’re planning more video livestreaming, so even if you aren’t in attendance, you’ll be able to join in on the fun online. Follow along on all social media channels with the hashtag #LGSummit17.

Applications open on April 3. To apply to attend the Local Guides summit, you must be an active Local Guide Level 5 and submit an application that includes a 1-minute video. Successful applicants will be selected based on their application, active contributions to Google Maps and involvement in the Local Guides community (like being a moderator or meet-up host).

Details:

• When? October 10 - 12th 2017
  • Where? San Francisco and Mountain View, CA
  • Applications open: April 3
  • Applications close: April 24
  • How to apply and FAQs: Local Guides Summit website

Local Guides Summit attendees in 2016Local Guides Summit attendees in 2016

FAQs

When do applications open for Local Guides Summit 2017?

April 3.

When do applications close?

April 24.

What is your selection criteria?

Applications will be open only to Local Guides Level 5 during the application period.

Applicants will be selected based on a number of factors including, but not limited to:

The submission of a complete application with the following requirements:

• Each Local Guide must submit a 1-minute video message, appearing on camera to share reasons for applying
  • Each Local Guide must submit a post on Local Guides Connect with an introductory message and more insights into his or her experience with the program

We’ll also be looking for:

• High quality, well-rounded and consistent contributions to Google Maps in the past 12 months
  • Consistent involvement with the Local Guides community such as being a supported community moderator, Connect moderator, meet-up host and active Connect contributor
  • The ability to understand and speak English

What is the age requirement to apply for the Summit?

While participating in the Local Guides program requires a minimum age of 18 years, all summit attendees must be at least 21 years old prior to the Summit. That is because 21 is the legal drinking age in the United States and alcohol will be present at some events.

What makes a good application video?

We’re looking for Local Guides to give us a glimpse into their personality to share why they are a Local Guide and why they want to attend this year’s summit. You do not need to create a video with special effects or video treatments, just be yourself!

Will the 75 Local Guides who attended the 2016 Local Guides Summit be eligible to attend the 2017 Local Guides Summit?

All applicants will be considered based on the factors listed above. Attending the 2016 Local Guides Summit neither guarantees nor disqualifies a Local Guide from being eligible to attend the 2017 summit.

How many people will be selected to attend the summit?

Due to the success of the 2016 Local Guides Summit, we’ve increased the number of selected applicants for this year’s summit to 150.

Will you watch every video?

Due to the volume of applications received, we will be prioritizing the review of applications based on a number of factors (outlined above). If you have a tracked link or views logged on your video, please note that the view count or tracked link usage may not be accurate and does not indicate the status of your application.

I don’t speak English, will you provide translation?

The summit will be entirely in English. Attendees will need to confirm that they can communicate in English.

Will you pay for my travel?

Travel (flights & visas) and hotels will be arranged and paid for by Google. Meals will be covered by Google for the duration of the summit. If selected, guests will be able to extend the trip at their own expense.

What happens after I submit an application?

If selected, the Local Guides team will be notify you privately that you have been selected.

When will the selected applicants be notified?

Selected applicants will be contacted privately by May 19.

Will I be told if I haven't been selected?

If you haven’t heard from us by May 19, you weren’t selected for the Local Guides summit this year. Keep an eye out for future events and announcements by keeping in touch with Local Guides on Connect, Google+, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Traveling to the United States became more difficult in 2017; will my country of origin impact my ability to apply for or attend the Local Guides Summit?
Attendees will be selected to attend the summit based on the criteria listed above and not on their country of origin. Google will be working with a third-party travel agency to navigate and expedite the visa application process, following all government laws, however, if you are selected and your visa application is denied, an alternative attendee will be selected to attend.
You can learn more about traveling to the United States by visiting https://travel.state.gov.

823 Comments
Level 6

Many thanks @AnoukV for sharing.

Thankd for the info

It was of real hELP

Sourav Kumar Nanda
Level 8

Hello @AnoukV Thanks for sharing. 

It's good news for all Local Guides.  Hope to be a part of the Summit . 

Level 7

Wow! Time to speed up and move form level 3 to 5!

Challange accepted!

Level 5

Thank you very much!

Tai

Hii, Yes.. You have to make this video only in English Language.. In thsi video you have to say why you have joined Local Guides Project.. For more info please visit the faq section of the page https://maps.google.com/localguides/event/summit .. 

hey do you know how many points should we have to be available to participate ? or to be in the top 100?

Level 8

Quero representar meu país nessa jornada incrível e ter a mais espetacular experiência já vivida!! E compartilhar tudo sobre os poucos lugares do Brasil que já visitei e atrair cada vez mais pessoas para também admirar tanta beleza natural e artificial criada pela natureza e pelo homem. Rumo à #LGSummit17

Level 10

Thank you @AnoukV - this #LGSummit17 is music to my ears!!!

Level 8

Thanks for the details ❤️ ❤️ 

Farhat Ahmed
Level 8

I've already started to improve my English and I really want to participate with you in #LGSummit17

Eriseu Ribas Trindade Junior
Level 7
Hi Ricardo,  It will not be relevant to points but only to be level 5 LG and to have an attracting application and a video. Good luck!

I think it will be relevants to the points that you have and the consistence and of course the video. You also have to be a moderator or at least a regular at local guides connect

Level 9

Guatemala will be present, because I am going to represent this beautiful country, full of beautiful and picturesque places, 
I will carry the energyof its people. See you at San Fracisco Summit 17
City from SkyCity from Sky Antigua, GuatemalaAntigua, Guatemala Central ParkCentral Park

Jorge Letran
Level 8

its a  great news for mapmakers. thank u.

Level 2

Hello I'm from Morley, Mi. I love the 4 seasons here. I live on 20 acres of Mitchell Creek. I take a lot of wild life pics.

Level 7

@AnoukV feeling delighted to see your message. Looking forward to see all local guide exparts at a time in video and photos.

Connect Moderator

@RicardoJavierG based on my experience last year, the invited attendees came from different background. The only hard requirement is being level 5 Local Guide. For example, I wasn't a moderator of anything when I got selected to the Summit last year (the Local Guides Connect didn't even exist until July, while I got selected to go in May). Google really want a diverse group to attend the Summit.

Consistency in contributions to Google Maps and Local Guides activities in general plays a key role definitely. The most important part is to be genuine at what you do. If you just do things in order to get into the Summit, it's not really hard to spot. Just enjoy the activities and be excited about it 🙂

Level 7

Queria participar, mas não sou fluente em ingês :c

Level 2

Thanks for the heads up. I do enjoy it but I'm unsure about sharing my location on maps.

I am getting excited for this

Level 6

Good luck to everyone who applies for the 2017 Summit in California!

Erin

Perth, Australia 

Level 1

Will Google provide the travel ticket and accommodation? 

@MerajA wrote:

There will be a summit at 2017 in USA at C.A Google 

I am from India.

Level 8

Google will provide all means the ticket, visa, food and accommodation subjected to depends upon your selection. 

Good observation. Hope for the best.

Level 10

Hello Dear @AnoukV 

Good Day
It was a pleasure 
I had the opportunity to apply for #LGSummit17
I'm from Tehran, Iran and have a lot of good idea about local guide in my country want to share in this summit.

I wish and would be grateful if i have a chance to be there.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.

Level 5

This is excellent news. I'm just level two but let's see! It would be great to meet you all.

Level 5

Awesome!! Can't wait to make my video and see how it goes. Good luck everyone!

Level 8
Отличная новость, будет стимулом выучить англиский язык
Level 8
Я стремительно иду вперед, ещё не было ни одного дня что б я не дастал телефон, и не зафиксировал новую информацию, проверил или добавил место, теперь это для меня стало новое хобби, даже если я не попаду в топ 150, всеравно мы все одна большая семья, я буду очень рад за каждого. Всем удачи, друзья !!!
Level 7

I พ1sh I c4n g0 Th1s y34r. L4st y34r T1m3 0ut b3f0r3 1 up l3v3l 5.

Level 5

it's amazing news for every google guide lovers like me...

Level 8

Thanks for give us good news.

Level 6

This is a motivating news... Thanks @AnoukV heading back to my best appp #googlemap

Level 3

Thanks for this very good news although i am in level-3.

Wow awesome news, the great summit LG 2017!! It's very difficult to be selected. Sincerely I don't want to apply but I hate to give up easily. Maybe I won't be selected, but I'll enjoy to be a LG and keep my hope until the end. So I will fight!

So excited! This will be amazing. Can't wait.

Level 7

Great news and thanks for the details.

Level 5

I would love to be part of this wonderful event but my community/country is banned from entering USA...

It doesn't matter!

I will never stop contributing to Google maps.

Thank you @AnoukV

Level 9

I want to follow this meet up.. Im from indonesian. Borneo island. Help please... 

Level 9

Awesome news, I am super excited!!

Level 1
I'm from Bangkok ,Thailand .This is an ancient city in ThailandThis is an ancient city in Thailand

Level 9

Super excited and best of luck to all the participants!

Level 8

Os dejo el enlace de uno de mis lugares favoritos:

https://www.google.es/maps/place/Pir%C3%A1mides+de+Giza/@29.978089,31.1358995,3a,75y,-91h,80t/data=!...

Espero os guste tanto como a mi.

Antonio

Excited to go for Local guide summit ,working hard for getting eligible before application date .

Thanks team for making us energetic by informing us about summit....regards 

Level 7

Wow! I can't wait to apply for this years summit. 

I am currently in level 4 but i am looking forward to complete it within a couple of days. What is the criteria to apply for Local Guides Summit this year?? 

Hi @SudipUpadhaya

You can check the criteria Here. All the best! 

Thanks

-HariV

Thanks

-HariV

Hello @Hari_velaayutham

Thank you for the help 😇

Level 5

Really good news to all local guides

we are wating to enjoy along with all

Thank You for your information. 

Is there any special suggestion?