AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

Local Guide Daniel Ngo on his best tips for sharing great photos and reviews

Last week, we introduced you to Daniel Ngo, a Level 8 Local Guide who helps others find great coffee through his reviews and photos. When we interviewed him, Daniel also shared some insightful tips for taking great photos of restaurants and writing helpful reviews of all kinds.

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Daniel Ngo looking away from the camera in front of a wall full of colorful graffiti. (Courtesy of Daniel Ngo)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Daniel Ngo looking away from the camera in front of a wall full of colorful graffiti. (Courtesy of Daniel Ngo)

Below are some of his best tips for writing great reviews and taking beautiful photos.

What is your favorite way to contribute on Google Maps and how often do you contribute?

I really like trying to take unique or interesting pictures of my favorite restaurants, as well as adding photos of the outside and inside to help people find the place and decide if it’s the kind of place that they want to go to. I try to add at least some pictures of every new place I come across.

What are your best tips for helping others improve their photography skills?

There are two kinds of photos that I like to take. I take photos that are informational, and photos that are more artistic.

For the informational photos, I try to show people as much as I can about a place. What does it look like, both inside and outside? If there are different rooms, I try to take a picture of each one. What is on the menu? What do the different menu items look like? I try to answer all the questions that I would have if I were looking up a new place.

Caption: A photo of eight different small cups of colorful juices on a metal train at Tout Suite in Houston, Texas, USA. (Local Guide Daniel Ngo)Caption: A photo of eight different small cups of colorful juices on a metal train at Tout Suite in Houston, Texas, USA. (Local Guide Daniel Ngo)

The more artistic photos are just about having fun with it. I still try to make sure that something about the restaurant is the focus. I like framing the shop or restaurant, decorations, or signs in the background, and bring the food and drinks right in front to showcase them.

I think photography is really about personal exploration, so try new things and take pictures of what you like. I think a key thing to remember is that your best photo has yet to be taken, so always look for new ways to improve your photography.

How do you hope your contributions will help those who see them?

I try to be very objective in my reviews. I know that not everyone’s experience will be exactly like mine, so I try to base my judgments on things that people will likely relate to when they go to that place. In this way, I try to give people an idea of what to really expect when they get there, without too much extra fluff. If the people reading my reviews get a good grasp of what it’s like to go to that place, then I’ve done my job right.

What advice do you have for others who are hoping to write more helpful reviews?

Try to be objective and have a holistic view. Don’t let just one thing dictate how well or poorly you rate a place. I’ve seen a lot of reviews and reviewers where people would love the food but rate a place one star because of a bad waiter. To me, a polarizing place like that deserves more of a middle of the road rating. There’s a chance that that server was having a bad day or is no longer at that place. You don’t want to discourage someone and have them miss out on what could potentially be a great experience for them.

Caption: A photo of three different kinds of toasts on a wooden board. One with tomato, cucumber and red onion (left), one with avocado, radish, and spices (middle), and one with cheese and smoked salmon (right). (Local Guide Daniel Ngo)Caption: A photo of three different kinds of toasts on a wooden board. One with tomato, cucumber and red onion (left), one with avocado, radish, and spices (middle), and one with cheese and smoked salmon (right). (Local Guide Daniel Ngo)

Anything else you’d like to add?

At the end, I think writing reviews should really be about helping other people make the most informed decision, rather than boasting about a place you like or tearing down a place you don’t. The most helpful reviews to me are the ones that provide me with as many details as possible so that I can imagine myself there, and then decide on my own if I want to go. In my reviews, I try to make it known that it’s all my opinion. I don’t tell people what they should do, but instead try to provide them with the information so that they can decide for themselves.

What are your best tips for helping others improve their reviews and photos on Google Maps? Share them with us in the comments below!

13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guide Daniel Ngo on his best tips for sharing great photos and reviews

Thanks for sharing @AriMar

Thanks for useful tips @Deniel ngo

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Re: Local Guide Daniel Ngo on his best tips for sharing great photos and reviews

great tips daniel 🙂    you're totally right about not letting one negative aspect of an experience at a place you're reviewing be the main focus - it would be a shame if others never give the place a chance 🙂

Level 10

Rif.: Local Guide Daniel Ngo on his best tips for sharing great photos and reviews

Level 9

My best tips in reviewing a place are:

1. Start locally and with a place you've been going to for years.

That way you start off on familiar grounds and will normally 'rave' about the place, right? 

2. Look at the place from a business perspective. I have been making soaps since 2008.

I know the struggles, the frustration, the awful financial burdens, the sweat, the nightmares and anguish that goes with all this. 

It isn't an easy choice so we have  to consider what it takes to start a business from scratch.

3. It's not worth giving a business or place 1 or 2 Stars.

If you really don't like the place, don't review it because it could cause a lot of damages to a business or place that went through 'hell' and headaches to build up. 

Or let the owner know what you think before writing a review which will have a negative impact on the business or place.  Then return a few months later to see if your suggestions were implemented. If not, then it's entirely up to you what you do.

Still, I'd find another place to review as I have always said in life, 'if you don't like something, don't do it or don't keep reading that blog'.

It's about building a community up not tearing it down. Which is why I say, start locally because you'll realise what a thriving community feels like. 

Extremely rewarding.

4. Don't forget owners take their business very very seriously and if you want to feel part of a community you'll appreciate the need to want that business to make improvements and thrive!

5. Be yourself. Do what you think is best for you but be fair!

Level 8

When i sign out google maps my contribution add place not show place name.  anyone can told what is the problem or how to solve it???  

Level 9

Hello Rashel Manik,

Usually when you've added a 'missing' place and it has been approved by Google, the new addition to Google maps takes at least 24 hours or more to be updated. 

Try also clearing your cache (cookies) on your phone using your Phone manager/settings and clear your browsing history, as this could prevent new information from being uploaded on your map. 

It will take a while for additions and amendments to be shown on the map especially as there's been recent issues with the reviews views count, which are being looked into.

Best of luck!!

Level 9

Tip no. 6

This community for local guides is so vital!

Please note:

I go back to the places I review because I am used to looking over my reviews and I just discovered 2 important issues.

Issue no. 1 a Local Guide (what?!) just re-posted my review of a local Tea Room, word for word and not gave me credit for MY review!!

Issue no. 2 another Local Guide (excuse me?!) gave a 1-star review 1 day ago to a place I have been to and not seen any issues the guide mentioned about the place, after my review extolling the praises of the cafe.

To summarise:-

Having this vital LG platform is indeed commendable!! Many many Congrats Google!!

Level 10

Level 9

Yes @LucioV this is an excellent post!