ValeriaA_'s post
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Level 10

Living my life as a Local Guide

Hi Local Guides from all around the world. I hope you are doing very well.

This post is very special for me, as it's my post #25! But mainly, because I will tell you about someting which is very important for me: my experience as a Local Guide.

About me

My name is Valeria and I'm a Local Guide level 8 from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I attend university, currently studying for a degree in International Cultural Business (focused on German culture). I also work in a company as a Team Assistant; it's a position that allows me talk to a lot of people from all around the world, as we receive many foreign visitors monthly. I've always been interested in languages: I speak English and German and I try to practise every time I have the chance ๐Ÿ™‚ My main hobby is photography with smartphone, and learning about new cultures. 

This is me! :)This is me! ๐Ÿ™‚

How I became a Local Guide

The first memory I have about contributing to Maps is when I noticed that a very important place for me was not created as a location there. It's a building where I go on holiday every year since I was 6 months old and is very, very meaningful for me. So I created it and added a photo. At that time I had no idea that what I was doing was so important. A few months later, a friend of mine told me about "Local Guides" and how many people contributed to the map and helped improve it everyday. That day everything changed! I remember being all day in a cafรฉ reviewing places I had visited and adding photos of them. It made me feel very helpful.

I spent many months like that, wondering if there was something else about Local Guides. In september, for #a11y accessibility month, I received an invitation from Google to their offices! I couldn't believe it, I had always wanted to go there so it was like a dream come true. That's how I learned about Meet-ups and Connect. When I arrived, many people were outside waiting, I remember seeing @MaxWalsh and @FaridTDF. We went on a geowalk to add information about accessibility in different places of San Telmo neighborhood, it was great! There I met @TraciC for the first time, it was amazing ๐Ÿ™‚ I think after that I became more and more commited to Local Guides every day!

Accessibility meet-up 23.09.2017Accessibility meet-up 23.09.2017

I attended a meet-up hosted by MaxWalsh, where I had the chance to get to know Buenos Aires local guides a bit more, talk about our experiences and take lots of photos together. We walked like 4 hours... and those 4 hours were full of guiding and guiding! 

MaxWalsh's meet up (Photo: MaxWalsh)MaxWalsh's meet up (Photo: MaxWalsh)

I hosted two meet-ups where only my boyfriend @santiagoirale -amazing and motivated local guide- attended (I consider both of them great "Guiding Times" because I contributed a lot!): 

...but my third one (Historic Buenos Aires) was just incredible. 8 people attended and we had an amazing time together, walked a lot, took a lot of pictures and contributed to the map a lot. @Jesi and @Johasanc were there too!

"Historic Buenos Aires" meet-up hosted by me. (Photo: Jesi)"Historic Buenos Aires" meet-up hosted by me. (Photo: Jesi)

Meet-ups are experiences worth living, because you share an activity that you love with other people who are as motivated and committed as you are. I have no words to describe that feeling... We are a team, working together to improve a tool that anyone in the world can use and take good advantage of it. I try to attend every meet-up in my area because I have a very good time there and each of them is worth it ๐Ÿ™‚

When I started using Connect, I was shy at first... I didn't really know what to talk about, or how to start a post... I luckily met motivating and encouraging members who helped my during my first logins here. @OSAMA was one of them! He's been like my "motivational coach" and inspired me to keep on writing posts and engaging in very interesting conversations with other Local Guides. 

Me as a Local Guide today

Nowadays, being a Local Guide has become more than just a hobby. I could say it's a way of life! Not only I am a part of the community, but it has also become a part of me.

When I visit a new place, I focus on the important things, such as: "is this place accessible?", "does it offer vegetarian food?", "is it suitable for kids?", and many others that help you take a general look. #LetsGuide has helped a lot with focusing on these important aspects ๐Ÿ™‚

I've also left most of my shyness behind, for example when I take a lot of photos or a 360 one! I got interested in 360 photography thanks to Street View. First I started taking photos with my phone and when I realized I liked it a lot, I purchased a 360 camera. I even became a Street View Trusted photographer! That's also another thing I like about Google: you get recognition for what you are doing.

Ready to take 360's!Ready to take 360's! 

Another important aspect of my experience as local guides is talking to people from all around the world! We are all part of the same community, we share a passion in common and encourage each other to keep growing... not only as Local Guides but also as people. I can sincerely say that my life has improved since I'm a member of this amazing community. I've been part of many virtual communities during my short life but I am sure that none of them made me feel so valued and honored like this one. I made very good friends and we even have group Hangouts calls, where we discuss and plan future events (thanks @HelloSamsonR and @Justine2807 for this!).

Live videocall with my Local Guides friends!Live videocall with my Local Guides friends!

Writing posts is another important activity I love. I really like talking about my culture and learning about other cultures. Sharing photos and telling everyone about places where I go is very fulfilling, not only by writing my own posts but also participating in other posts! Debate, tourism, saying 'thanks' and learning about other members are just some of the topics I like to talk about. The pure bond that emerges from interchange of valuable knowledge through Connect posts is just heart-touching and so meaningful for me.

I'm a proud Local Guide! Of course I wouldn't have been able to reach this position without everyone's help and motivation. There are a lot of people who make this community be alive and keep it growing everyday: members, moderators, googlers... all of this wouldn't be possible without you, and I'm happy to also try to improve the community everyday. 

Thank you everyone for supporting me!

Happy guiding!

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Buenos Aires, Argentina
85 comments
Level 9

Re: Living my life as a Local Guide

Amazing amazing post @ValeriaA_ 

I am speechless , you are great member and i am very proud of your friendship , 

All Respect ๐Ÿ˜Š

I wish to meet all you mentioned in your post 

My great brothers @FaridTDF & @MaxWalsh :-)))

Wonderful @Jesi ๐Ÿ˜Š

Handsome @santiagoirale

And OMG you take a photo with @TraciC ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€

Level 8

Such kind words from you @ValeriaA_. It's really awesome just watching you do what you do for this community and being able to be a part of it. You certainly are a super committed local guide and a very valuable one as well. 

Your contributions sure help a lot of people here in our city, including myself hahaha.

I'm so happy to be next to you and look forward to a lot more guiding with you ๐Ÿ˜˜

Level 9

BTW Congratulations @ValeriaA_ your post number 25 ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ‰

Connect Moderator

@ValeriaA_, eres un miembro valioso de Connect y un Local Guide muy aplicado en lo que hace, estoy seguro que llegarรกs y superaras muchos niveles. Tus post tienen una frescura y desinhibiciรณn muy simpรกticos. A medida que pasa el tiempo tus aportes tambiรฉn son mucho mejor desarrollados y con una creatividad a la hora de redactarlos que marca lo que indicaba anteriormente ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘. Esperamos poder ver muchos aportes mรกs jajajaja.

AE14B352-CE4C-4F93-8D2D-9E7797A0228D.jpeg

Saludos Farid

Level 9

You have said everything @ValeriaA_

What is left is thank you from all of us on connect.

Thank you dear!@

A-Beta
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a beautiful post @ValeriaA_, and congratulations on 25th number! ๐Ÿ™„

Reading it I could simply sence your honesty. Every single part is worth reading and it catches attention!! โ˜บ๏ธ U have a real gift for writing and expressing your emotions trough words - u don't need any special effect - that is so wonderful ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘!!!

I believe that a lot of Local Guides feel like you, everything in here has became more than just chatting with somebody, it is living what u write!!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

So good to know that you where able to beat shyness!!!

Wish u every success ๐Ÿฅ€

Level 8

I am proud of you @ValeriaA_

Great LG and I enjoyed every word.

All the best Valeria

Level 10

Bien ahรญ! Me gusta leerte y ver como fuiste avanzando de a poco. Me alegro que estes en la comunidad de Buenos Aires, por que sos valiosa y estas haciendo las cosas bien. 

Beso.

Instagram  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Web Page  |

Level 10

Dear @OSAMA, I hope to meet you in person at some point.
I send you a big hug

Instagram  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Web Page  |