Kwiksatik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Lists Can do Everything: Moving

I have found so many uses for Lists over the past few months that I wanted to share a little mini-series of articles about the many ways Lists can simplify, and maybe even save, a life. Each article will contain a background story about what inspired this list type, suggestions for use, selection criteria for contents, and suggested notes content.

A photo of me with a sign from Street View Summit 2019 which perfectly sums up how a mother feels when managing a family's information and care.A photo of me with a sign from Street View Summit 2019 which perfectly sums up how a mother feels when managing a family's information and care.

My family is getting ready to move. Instead of making a giant paper list with new phone numbers which I lose, refind, lose, research, and find again, I’ve made three lists.

• List 1: Research, Recommendations and Bookmarks
  • List 2: The New-City List
  • List 3: The Old-City List

List 1: Research, Recommendations and Bookmarks

I added to the first list as I researched or thought of things I wanted to examine further. Examples of places added to this list are the nearest drycleaner, parks, a coffee shop to try or a farmers’ market in our new city. Because lists are so easy to create and maintain, I began making this list during the earliest stages  of planning. When I received recommendations from people in my new city, I was able to look places up immediately and ask if I had the right place. Because I can send Google Maps links and have them opened on any device, it was easy to get a "Yes, that location. Make sure to ask for XPerson."  Lists don't get "lost" like paper records, so I was easily able to spread my planning over several months without ever losing a single piece of information. 

List 2: The New-City List

The second list is an extension of the first list, with the specific focus of selected referrals and continued services. Whenever I met with a care provider in my current city, I asked for, then saved, their recommendation for continuing service in my new area. As an example, while I was at my children's pediatrician in Bozeman, I obtained a recommendation for a Seattle doctor. I was able to look the new doctor up, and immediately requested our Bozeman doctor send medical records to the new office. I then saved the information about the new doctor (and the records transfer) directly into my New-City List, along with the name of the receptionist we sent the records to. This process has also worked for new schools, the dentist, Boy Scouts, our pharmacy, and even museums with reciprocal memberships. This ever-growing index of our services in our new city is my personal condensed phone book. 

List 3: The Old-City List

For the third list, The Old-City List, I am adding the services and organizations which we have been using in Bozeman. After moving, it could be easy to forget our old service providers, or who we talked to at each office/organization. In the notes section, I add phone extensions, emails, and names. In the future, if I need to find information from this part of our lives, my list will provide me with the details necessary to do so in only a few taps of my finger. 

I have used these lists more times than I can count. When moving an entire family and tending to all of their needs, lists provide an invaluable service, taking a huge amount of the mental load off my plate, freeing up my time and saving me immeasurable stress.

Lists Can Do Everything: The Collection

1. Saving Lives with Lists

2. Lists Can Do Everything: Moving (here)

9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Lists Can do Everything: Moving

Hi @Kwiksatik

Thanks for sharing.  Much better now. Maybe adding the city names to the list names and introducing the city names will make it perfect. 

Connect Moderator

@MortenCopenhagen I'll try breaking it down differently. Thank you for the feedback. If you have time, I'd love your opinion on a second pass of the article.

Connect Moderator

Wow @Kwiksatik , you have part of Google Maps tattooed on your arm. What a dedication! ; - )

On a serious note: amazing idea, as so often. What you could still add (that's what I typically do with series of posts) is add a section at the bottom listing & linking to the other posts in the series.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver you are utterly right. I shall commence edits. ^_^

Connect Moderator

The integration between the real world and the digital tools is becoming every day more important and effective @Kwiksatik , and with the lists is becoming more personal. Lists can make our life easier, you can add your own note, you can share it with your friends.

I find it very helpful also when I travel on new places, as I can explore and put all together the places where I want to go

Connect Moderator

@Kwiksatik with "I shall commence edits" you mean "I will now have the other arm tattooed as well", right? 

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 7

This is a very interesting subject I very happy about your knowledge you are a great person.

Level 8

Your comments gave me a big smile @JanVanHaver 🤣. Not sure if the tattoo @Kwiksatik is there as sheer dedication. It could also be there to make sure people find the way to her heart and don't get lost or drown in the seas of her eyes.

Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver just saw this! 🤣 No tattoo on the other arm! Just the one on my wrist.