Kwiksatik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Lists Can Do Anything: Co-Parenting, Babysitting, and Family

A child climbing on playground equipment.A child climbing on playground equipment.

I have found so many uses for Lists over the past few months that I wanted to share a little mini-series of articles about the many ways Lists can simplify, and maybe even save, a life. Each article will contain a background story about what inspired this list type, suggestions for use, selection criteria for contents, and suggested notes content.

Every parent will know this process - writing out the list of contacts for a babysitter, playdate parent, or sports coach. Doctor, dentists, mom's work, dad's work, grandparents or backup emergency contact... the list goes on and on. For ten or fifteen minutes you dig through your phone for each number and name, hoping you didn't forget anyone important or write down a number wrong. This process is miserable and time-consuming.

Coordinating care for children is a communication-intensive task. A mother wears many hats - parent, event coordinator, taxi driver, record keeper and more. I am dependent on my support system of family, friends and care providers. It can be a lot. However, I make my life easier by managing and sharing my information with Lists.

As a co-parent, my ex-husband and I have a more amicable relationship because we never have any confusion or conflict over sharing the most updated and current information. Whenever my children have a playdate, I only have to send a single link to the other parent, and immediately they have all the information they could ever need. For babysitters, extracurriculars, sports teams, family members and playdates, I send my children out into the world with a shareable, updateable list of resources. This makes me a happier mother and a more prepared parent. 

Now each of my children have their own cell phones and go to activities by themselves. This URL is also saved under their “ICE” (In Case of Emergency) contact in their phones. I’ve also added these URL’s to their school files, sports forms, and camp registrations. 

I make these lists “Shared” not “Public” because they contain private information.

The following sample list contents have the map listing in BOLD, and the suggested notes information in italic.

• Schools (teachers, contact info and school schedule)
  • Dentists (previous procedures, fears, sensitivities or concerns)
  • Pediatrician (current medical conditions, preferred doctor, or notes on where to find the office in the building)
  • Pharmacy (notes include details of their current prescriptions)
  • Library (which programs are offered on which days)
  • Friends’ homes (parents names and contact info)
  • Family Member’s homes and workplaces (with contact info)
  • Parks/recreation facilities (and the sports/activities we play at them on which day, at which field or facility)

Note: I have 2 lists - 1 with more personal information for close family, and 1 for more general use.

How could your family use lists? What other information would you add to your family list? I'd love to know!

16 comments
Level 10

Re: Lists Can Do Anything: Co-Parenting, Babysitting, and Family

Hi @Kwiksatik

we (me and my wife)  use a lot the shared calendar between us, where we insert all our appointments and commitments of the two children. The fact of having a shared one keeps us updated on all the many commitments and deadlines of everyday life!

We don't use Lists at the moment, but it's never that one day they will also become useful and so thanks for your suggestions!

Bye,
David

Level 10

Hello @Kwiksatik , @davidhyno 
Your list approach is the most practical. We don't need to make a list just for travelers. If there is a seamless link to Google Calendar, it will be used by the user. This is because the list has no time axis and the calendar has a time axis.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Caring of children, or caring of parents, in my own case, on the 21st century can be a challenging and shared experience, @Kwiksatik , @davidhyno 

I have a calendar shared with my sister related to Mom therapies and drugs and, after this post, I am going to create a shared list with the contacts (doctors, pharmacy, rehabilitation center, transportation companies (with cars equipped for the transport of disabled persons) and more.

Thank you so much for the input

Connect Moderator

@davidhyno I love using the shared calendar too! I hadn't even considered a link between calendar and lists... now you have my mind turning with ideas. Someday maybe! ^_^

@YasumiKikuchi the lack of a time axis had not been a thought of mine until now. What I do appreciate is the automatic updates to the list with the business' most current information: when a phone number changes, I don't have to change anything, because the list already knows. Maybe someday there will be a seamless link, but for now, the notes section can be made to meet my needs!

@ErmesT I am so glad you are able to find some benefit from the post!

Connect Moderator

Excellent team work @Kwiksatik @davidhyno @YasumiKikuchi @ErmesT !!!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Existence of such a list makes so much things easier! I already forgot and remembered just now after your post - loooong ago before I developed passion for Local Guides Programm, I created kind of such lists : with tons of private information. At that time there was no option to share a list, so it was just my notepad and when I was somewhere I had all neccessary information and knew where to find it 🙂 To share such a list with other persons, expecially with regard to the kids is a brilliant idea!

I published recently two new public lists .As it is getting colder and colder here, local moms and dads know now where to go once their babys express their physical needs:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Travelling-with-babys-and-small-kids-in-Zur...

Connect Moderator

Hi @Kwiksatik,

thank you for your wonderful contributions, you open up lot of ideas by using lists, things which weren't thought before but indeed very interesting and useful, thank you .. and nice have meeting you 😊!

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 9

@Kwiksatik I like the information and photos in your lists. Makes me want to visit Montana. Thanks for sharing.

Level 7

مرحبا هل بإمكاني  ان احضى لبعض الدعم  من  غوغل   خرائط فقط   مساعدة  الاخرين .  تنقصني بعض   المعدات  للتصوير .وقليل من الاموال حتى استطيع  التحرك   على نطاق  واسع .   وشكرا

شكرا فرق غوغل

انا  مرشد محلي   متواضع 

ارجو مساعدتي لتحسين  عملي

هاتفي  هو <REDACTED>   المغرب