Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Lion At The Castle Gates

IMG_20190102_173845_866.jpg

IMG_20190107_012002_056.jpg

IMG_20190107_010953_043.jpg

The Lion guards the gates of the castle. This is Clontarf Castle, Dublin and near where I live. The castle was built in 1837 but there have been castles here at this site since 1172 as it is very close to the sea and  Dollymount beach where many invaders would have landed by ships and boats over the centuries, so the castle was there to defend the eastern coastline. These days a hotel has been added to the castle and it is unusual as it is in a residential area. My aunt lives across the street from the castle so looks out at it eveeyday and it is a couple of minutes from the seafront promenade, where you can also get a bus there that takes you to the city centre in 30 minutes. I thought the Lions look nice in the photos.

Dublin, Ireland
13 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Lion At The Castle Gates

Hello @Eire27,

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures with us. Lions are always a symbol of power and they are portrayed in different civilisations and countries as guardians. 

I'm sharing with you a photo of the Lions' bridge in Sofia, Bulgaria. 🙂

Caption: Lions' bridge, Sofia, Bulgaria (Local Guide BorrisS)Caption: Lions' bridge, Sofia, Bulgaria (Local Guide BorrisS)

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 8

Hello @BorrisS  Amazing Lion, great photo, thank you.  Nice to see the Lion in Sofia, Bulgaria is a beautiful country. 

Hello @Eire27,

Thank you for your kind words, have you been to Bulgaria? There are four lions on this bridge, but only three of them are visible on the photo. In Bulgaria the two most important animals are the lion and the eagle, and they are portrayed in bridges, doors, monuments...etc. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Hi @Eire27,

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I think the lion is symbol of many countries and cities. Unfortunatelly, I don't have photo of the Széchenyi Chain Bridge in Budapest, but there is a lion on each sides. There is a legend of these lions as why they have no tongue, but most probably they just forgot them.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 8

Well I have just been to Sunnybeach 2 times and I went to the old town of Nessebar which is lovely. My sister bought an apartment there many years ago, just outside of Sunnybeach, she goes every year for 6 weeks. So she has hired a car and visited Sofia and other places. A local guide from Bulgaria showed me an amazing Halloween festival video from Bulgaria, so I am enjoying learning more about Bulgaria, thank you @BorrisS for telling me about Lions and Eagles 

Level 8

Hi @Petra_M Thank you. Yes the Lion seems to be a symbol in many countries. Thank you for telling me the Lion story of Budapest, another beautiful city 

@Eire27, that sounds amazing! As far as Nessebar is concerned, I like the Old town too. You should definitely visit Bulgaria, especially Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo, Koprivshtitsa and Bojentsi

Level 8

Yes @BorrisS I am hoping to go to Bulgaria this Summer and visit some more places ☺  Something to look forward to SunnybeachSunnybeach

SunnybeachSunnybeach

SunnybeachSunnybeach

I am going to Budapest in a few months and I will definitely go and see this bridge @Petra_M.

Despite the lion not being anywhere near Denmark geographically, it is a big part of our nations symbolism. We have several lion statues around the country, and even the national coat of arms features three lions. Those same three lions are also present on the 10 and 20 kroner coins.

Personally I think the lion symbolises strength, pride and protection. 

Thanks for sharing @Eire27!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!