jaytromp's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Limited Categories

Here in The Netherlands, I often run into problems when wanting to add places. For example; train stations have places for shared bike renting (OV fiets). This is properly displayed on some train stations, but not on all.

But when I try to add the place where it isn't mapped yet, I can't find the category it belongs in. The category "stalling voor gedeelte fietsen", in which this is categorized usually, doesn't show up. Trying to find it with English keywords doesn't work either.

I experience the same thing with adding/editing roads; really annoying!

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? Is the Dutch app limited in functions?

Netherlands
6 comments
Level 10

Re: Limited Categories

@jaytromp I was looking in Maps, and the nearest category I can find in English in "Bicycle Rental Service" and when I set it to display in Dutch it says "Fietsverhuur"

Does this meet what you need?

Level 8

It does not, unfortunately. This is more applicable to a shop where you can rent a bike.

The OV-fiets is a storage and self-service place. The category exists, but I can't use it myself when adding a place. I see this more often than just this example...

Level 10

@jaytromp For categories that are not there and you feel it is needed, do post a suggestion in Idea Exchange.
In the mean time, you may want to think about using the nearest category even if not totally 100% accurate. 

Anyways, you decide on that as best fit the local understanding. 

There's another category in English "Bicycle Rack" or in Dutch "Fietsenrek"

Connect Moderator

Hello @jaytromp I also noticed already that this particular category is not available for local guides, although it is on the map for existing places. Perhaps it is part of the transit layer, which is not open for editing by local guides. The more general category 'fietsenstalling' is available, but the fact that the category is not there usually means that local guides are not supposed to add those, as Google is getting the info from the company exploiting the business.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Overigens, @jaytromp, had je de aankondiging al gezien van de 2nd European Meetup die in juni plaatsvindt in het Belgische Gent? Daar is voorlopig nog geen deelnemer uit Nederland aangemeld, dus misschien kan jij wel de eerste worden? Het is een event gespreid over verschillende dagen, maar je kan ook gewoon 1 enkele dag deelnemen.

Daar kunnen we het dan uitgebreid over bv. de problemen bij het kiezen van de juiste categorie hebben 🙂

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Former Google Contributor

Hi @jaytromp,

Just to let you know, I've noticed that your post has a Dutch label tag. Please note, I’ve removed it. To learn more about those labels please take a look at the  How do I find posts in my preferred language?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!