AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

Lima-based pastry chef transforms cakes into unique works of art

Caption: Three side-by-side photos: One featuring a cake made to look like a fish is splashing out of the top (left), a black-and-white one of pastry chef Victor Tarazona holding up two metal whisks (middle), and one featuring a cake designed with black roses and pink fondant surrounded by real flowers (right). (Courtesy of Victor Tarazona)Caption: Three side-by-side photos: One featuring a cake made to look like a fish is splashing out of the top (left), a black-and-white one of pastry chef Victor Tarazona holding up two metal whisks (middle), and one featuring a cake designed with black roses and pink fondant surrounded by real flowers (right). (Courtesy of Victor Tarazona)

Last week, we held our second Connect Live regional pop-up event in Lima, Peru. During the event, pastry chef Victor Tarazona hosted a baking workshop. He taught Lima Local Guides to decorate their own sweets—and each one of them went home with a beautifully decorated dessert.

Victor graduated from Le Cordon Bleu Peru before opening his own bakery, Sugarlab, in Lima. At Sugarlab, Victor and his team specialize in creating extravagant, artfully made custom cakes. They also make elaborate chocolate sculptures and delicious pastries.

Caption: A photo of Victor Tarazona at Connect Live Lima holding a glass bowl filled with blue frosting during the baking workshop.Caption: A photo of Victor Tarazona at Connect Live Lima holding a glass bowl filled with blue frosting during the baking workshop.

“I am and have always been an art enthusiast,” Victor told us. “As a kid, I wanted to study art, but was not allowed to do so. So, as soon as I finished my baking [courses], I decided I would mix what I learned with my other passionart. That's how I started playing with custom cakes and developed my own style.”

We recently caught up with Victor to learn more about his experience as a pastry chef and his favorite places to get dessert.

How and when did you first become interested in making pastries?

My mother is also a pastry chef, so since I was a little kid, I used to be with her while she was baking and supporting our family. As I grew older and started cooking school, I had a need to learn more about pastries.

Caption: A photo a colorful cake with fondant that has edible details paying tribute to Peruvian culture. (Courtesy of Victor Tarazona)Caption: A photo a colorful cake with fondant that has edible details paying tribute to Peruvian culture. (Courtesy of Victor Tarazona)

Why did you decide to open Sugarlab?

I had a couple businesses before that did not fulfill me. After a couple months resting, I decided I would start mixing what I knew with what I loved [and opened Sugarlab].

You host workshops at Sugarlab that anyone can sign up for. What do you hope attendees will learn from your workshops?

I hope they can have fun creating and mixing some of our signature techniques and flavours, and realize that baking is a relaxing and artistic experience.

What do you think is the most challenging part of running a bakery?

Probably at the beginning, making your customers understand your style, your ideas, and to satisfy their needs. Also, finding good, capable, and loyal employees that can make your business grow as a single force.

What are some of your favorite places to buy desserts?

Roselen, Beso Frances, Crem dela Crem, and Ana Avellana.

Caption: A photo of a three tier cake inspired by the film Big Fish & Begonia. (Courtesy of Victor Tarazona)Caption: A photo of a three tier cake inspired by the film Big Fish & Begonia. (Courtesy of Victor Tarazona)

What advice do you have for people who are new to baking?

You have to fail many times in order to understand what you are baking. Baking is a long and patient process full of little tricks and tips. You will develop your own style and flavours only if you try many and fail a lot at the beginning. Failing is good. 🙂

Do you love baking? What’s your favorite place to get dessert in your area? Tell us in the comments below!

10 comments
Level 10

Re: Lima-based pastry chef transforms cakes into unique works of art

@AriMar Thanks for sharing, They are very beautiful. 

Level 9

Wow, these cakes are all works of art, too pretty to eat!!

And what a cool experience that the Local Guides got their opportunity to try decorating as well!! 🙂 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

Delicious and great Architects yummy post @AriMar@ Thank you for sharing with us...

Level 10

Ohh what a piece of art. Thank you @AriMar for sharing this with us. 

Level 6

While I may not be good at baking, I love watching others create these works of art made of sweets! I'm hoping one day all of my Food Network knowledge will magically make me a great chef and baker, a girl can dream. Thank you for sharing your interview and introducing this wonderful pastry chef to us @AriMar!

Level 10

Rif.: Lima-based pastry chef transforms cakes into unique works of art

Level 10

Wow @AriMar this is amazing! I hate these cakes... because you cannot eat them without feeling ashamed !!!! 🙂

I think this is a form of art, and I'm jealous that other LG had the opportunity to experience this!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @AriMar

That's great idea to deliver other how to decorate their own sweets and backed at home. Victor Tarazona made it beautiful and nice contribution in this event. Thank you so much for sharing 

Level 10

All the Cakes looks amazing! thank you for sharing @AriMar

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+