AlexPssn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Legal Cannabis Store in Canada

Hi All,

Now that cannabis is legal in Canada I'm trying to add the first official government store. (Yes, the Canadian government sells cannabis now). I've added a store 3 times and it not approved. Any ideas? Does this have anything to do with it being illegal in the US? Or does Google have some drug related guidelines? 

Thanks

Alex

Canada
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Legal Cannabis Store in Canada

Hi Alex,

>> I've added a store 3 times and it not approved. Any ideas?

Did you receive an auto-confirmation email of the edit, or was it instantly not applied?  If you did receive a confirmation that the edit was received can you post a screenshot of it so we can look at the specific edit you made?  If it was instantly not applied can you list the exact name you used, address, category, phone and website (or which of those of those you included)?   Otherwise, we are just dealing in generalities and can only offer general comments ; )

In the realm of 'general comments', I would guess that the denial has more to do with the store being the first official government entity more than anything else.  Said differently, the name and website are likely going to have to be exactly right.   And, of course, there could already be an edit for this facility in Pending Review status which would (likely) send your edit to Not Applied (although it could be marked Pending Review)

>> Does this have anything to do with it being illegal in the US?

Cannabis is not illegal in the US. I'm in the US and there is a dispensary in the town I live in.  The legality varies from state to state, albeit there are some Federal (US) laws at odds with state laws, however, those are not currently being enforced (as I understand it; )

>> does Google have some drug related guidelines? 

Google's only guidelines that could in anyway relate to this is that a business cannot be listed which is illegal in the jurisdiction it is located in -- so, no.  

Cannabis stores in Canada and part of US

Level 9

@MapWrangler,

thank you for the tips. Here is a screen shot of what I see: 

I don’t get the email it goes straight to not applied. Interestingly enough I’m given points for them but not the listing. I’ll give it another couple days and try again. 

Level 10

Hi @AlexPssn,

>> I don’t get the email it goes straight to not applied. Interestingly enough I’m given points for them

>> but not the listing.

I'm not a "points guy" but as I understand it the points awarded will either not show up, or will be subtracted in a day or two or three.

Presuming you added all the information from their website, it's likely there's an edit Pending Review.

That said, -- a further observation on naming -- the nearby BC Liquor Store is described on signage, etc, as "BC Liquor Store", yet their Google listing is "BC Government Liquor Store".  You could try that variant as applied to the "BC Cannabis Store".

Level 9

@MapWrangler,

I’ll try the variation. The store’s sign clearly says “BC Cannabis Store”.