ericpaulgoldie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Lake Walyungup - Rockingham - Exploring Western Australia

Lake Walyungup is an urban wetland 40 km south of Perth and was formed some 4000 years ago. Originally inhabited by the Nyungar people it provided fresh water and was a source of food year round. An important ceremonial and mythological site surrounded by the spirit of Waugal which represents the life and spirit of water created by the surrounding dunes.

Lake Walyungup western australia eric paul goldie 4.png

Settled by British colonists in 1829, the area has had a unique history including serving as the training grounds for the 10th Light Horse during WW1. Today the area is a Regional Park and is often used for land sailing by locals. The area is an important habitat for local birds, mammals, fish and a large variety of plants and “Thrombolites”. These are rock-like structures which occur in 15m wide zones around the eastern side of the lake and along with Stromatolites are the oldest living organisms on earth.

Lake%2BWalyungup%2Brockingham%2Beric%2Bpaul%2Bgoldie%2B3

Lake Walyungup is a magical place, and it’s well worth spending a few hours exploring. There are well-maintained paths which weave and wind their way around the lake, however, check the weather before leaving as they can become a little soggy. Also, I would suggest taking a backpack with water and a few snacks. Plus sneakers or comfortable walking shoes recommended along with loose comfortable clothing and plenty of sun protection.

One last thing, avoid wandering off the paths as they’re maybe unexploded ordnance. Have fun on your next adventure.

Lake%2BWalyungup%2Brockingham%2Beric%2Bpaul%2Bgoldie%2B2

State Parks Site
https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/site/lake-walyungup
State Heritage
http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/Admin/api/file/83544153-a8bb-db5a-9a8f-3fc8ec64a776

Rockingham WA, Australia
15 comments
Level 9

Re: Lake Walyungup - Rockingham - Exploring Western Australia

Nice post @ericpaulgoldie 

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 8

Super outstanding review with good recommendations for exploring @ericpaulgoldie  

As I was streaming the video I was wondering if there are quicksand areas as it is typical of wetlands to have deep muddy areas and quicksands. 

It also appeared to me to have vernal pool characteristics.

I would have loved to see the wildlife in the marshes. The video did not show signs of much wildlife either avian or aquatic as is typical of such seemingly vast wetland.

I would recommend explorers to carry waders and never ever go alone.

How is the mobile connection in this area?  Should they download the Map of the wetland and its fluvial and riperian zones?

Can one navigate the wetland by canoe or some sort of aquatic vessel?

Well you presented enough visual and written detail to wet any explorer's appetite for more details...  well done 🧞‍♀️

I will follow your provided links and discover more...

Level 8

@ericpaulgoldie  I did not find yet a cross section of the geomorphology of the 4000+ year old lake. I wonder what glacial influences it would reveal.

If you find any let me know.

I did find more data of its surface morphology and seasonal climates.

Would like to know how it was or is connected to the sea.

I will have to dig deeper.

Level 6

Greetings and thank you so much for your comments and questions. I will do my best to answer as many as possible, also another big thank you as I will include this information in my next guide. 🙂 

Prior to answering I will just explain, I did only a light reconnaissance as there is a lot of ground to cover even on a bike. 

Yes, the lake could be classed as a vernal pool.

Yes while cycling along the path I did come across areas not suitable for traversing. Prior to departing, I did read warnings about march like areas that may behave like quicksand and as per your recommendations, do not advise people with little experience to attempt it especially alone. Yes very wise, thank you. 

There are apparently 5 different species of frogs unique to the area along with a number of birds and other small mammals, While the birds were around the best time to find frogs and other animals would be in the early morning or dusk.  Mobile receptions is not the best and downloading a map prior is advisable. 

During the wet season and heavy rain, yes an inflatable raft may be suitable for some areas, maybe a canoe, any craft with a very light footprint as it is quite shallow.

There is a local land yacht association sign near the car park and I'd seen a few images of land sailing on google images prior which occurs during the dry season. This looks particularly fun! 

Once again, thank you so so much for your questions, compliment, and feedback. Still new to media, I really appreciate you taking your time to help.  Thank you

Level 8

@ericpaulgoldie   I agree the land surfing looks like lots of fun 🤩  

I am also very interested in the ancestral tribes that thrived in the region.

I think you opened up a topic of much interest to Research Scientists and lifelong students of Anthropology and Geology.

Level 8

@ericpaulgoldie  there is a young person in your area who seems to have similar interests regarding this site.  I am highly recommending you two team up to further collaborate in your research and share the findings.

https://youtu.be/vCDegW-eJBw

I can contribute by going to the library and provide some guidance.

@AbdullahAM  is this something of interest to you.  Would you like to research and contribute your findings?

Level 10

Dear @ericpaulgoldie, hope all's well. Great to see more West Aussies joining in on Connect. We love Rockingham, spent a while in Shoalwater a few years back. Lovely place to live. Kudos to you and @VBenedict for your awesome and intricate discussion. Looking forward to hearing more of your WA stories. Kind regards from Osaka78 🙂

Level 8

@Osaka78forTRUMP  thank you.  I just hope @ericpaulgoldie  @AbdullahAM have further interest in discovering and reporting here.

@Osaka78forTRUMP  you seem to know Australian LGs in general and in this general area...

Can you help me encourage further interest and discovery? 

Level 10

Dear @VBenedict, hope all's well.

It's inspiring to see you catching a glimpse of Australia's natural beauty. Not sure if it's your favoured field or background, you guys discussing Rockingham together here is like a science lesson for us. So cool to see your care extending across the sea, reaching Local Guides in Western Australia.

Today we watched @ericpaulgoldie's video and it was beautiful. You can feel the Australian landscape through the music and imagery. Great to see more creative Local Guides sharing their stories.

Kudos and kind regards from Osaka78 🙂