TheEagleEye's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Lake Taupo is a volcanic crater

Did you know that Lake Taupo in New Zealand is a volcanic crater? Lake Taupo is in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand. There are areas of the lake where you can soak in warm thermal water coming up from the earth.

Most New Zealand volcanism in the last 1.6 million years has occurred in the Taupo Volcanic Zone. The zone extends from White Island to Ruapehu. The Taupo Volcanic Zone is extremely active on a world scale. It includes three frequently active cone volcanoes; Ruapehu, Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, and White Island, and two of the most productive calderas in the world; Okataina and Taupo.

Lake Taupo is popular for recreation and trout fishing.

See Google Maps here https://goo.gl/maps/Gu4jGFRMM132 and video here https://youtu.be/SA1xaIr9Doo

Skydiving at TaupoSkydiving at Taupo

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Lake Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
7 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Lake Taupo is a volanic crater

Hi @TheEagleEye,

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this with us! I'd love to go and try the quad bike adventure, as heights are not exactly my thing. Was that your favorite activity?

PS: I will move your post to the Travel section.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @AlexaAC. I wrote this as a local story as I used to live in Taupo as I'm a New Zealander. I enjoy water sports and Taupo not too far from the ski fields. Biking is also very popular.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.

Totally understand where you're coming from @TheEagleEye

Just keep in mind the Local Stories Board is predominantly used for celebrating all of the amazing things Local Guides do. Feel free to check out Welcome to the Local Stories Board.

Water sports sound good! 😀

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

awesome!.. I wanna jump like this

Hi @TheEagleEye,

Thank you so much for sharing!

This was exactly what I had in mind when I said I wanted to try skydiving. If I can do it with a view like this just once, my skydiving dream will be fulfilled.

At what height are you jumping from here? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Jumps in New Zealand are normally from 15000 ft (4572 metres) @MortenSI. It is a good skydive in Taupo, very very popular. I will share some of my other jumps.

If i'm not mistaken, that would give you around a minute of free fall @TheEagleEye, which is actually a whole lot of time.

I'm itching to go for a jump right now.

Please do share more, I love seeing these adrenaline filled posts.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!