RashmiM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Lake District of India

Nainital is a small hill station which is arguable one of the finest hill stations of India, located at an altitude of 6,837 feet above the sea level. This place was accidentally discovered by an English businessman named Mr. Peter Barron. Once Mr. Barron  and his friend, while returning from a hunting expedition, lost their way and happened to encounter this fabled land. He was so enamoured of this pristine spot, especially the pear shaped emerald lake nestled amidst lofty hills and the wonderful climate, that he gave up his thriving business in the scorching Indo-Gangetic plains and made this utopian land his home.

Well known for its exquisite beauty worldwide Nainital is one of the most sought after tourist destination of India. The Himalayan Bird Sanctuary in the Kilbury jungle is a heaven for bird watches and nature lovers. The beauty of the lush green Oak and HImalayan Cedar is simply breathtaking. Nainital has carved a niche for itself in Religious Tourism too. A number of significant shrines and ashrams dot the District. The Naina Devi Temple, the Kainchi Dhaam, the Buddhist Gompa, The Jama Masjid and St. Francis Church are some of the most visited shrines here. 

The Kainchi Dhaam, founded by the mystic Neem Karoli Baba has gained international recognition owning to visits by  late  Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Nainital, Uttarakhand, India
14 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Lake District of India

Hi @RashmiM,

Thank you for sharing! Are these boats for renting and can you go around the lake? Are there any other activities that someone can participate?

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @RashmiM,

Thank you very much for your interesting post!

I would love to visit Nainital some day, but I was wondering is it very crowded since it's so popular among tourists? When do you think is the best time of the year for visiting this hill station?

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

aiHi Nainital is one of the most visited Hill Station near India's capital Delhi, There is Naini ZOO, where you can see animals especially found in HIMALAYAS, there is Tiger reserve - JIM CORBETT National park, near Nainital (2 hrs drive) where you can spend your time and if lucky you can see Tiger and Elephants in its natural habitat along with other species.

It is advisable to hire a cab for 3-4 days which can ferry you to Nainital, nearby Bhimtal, Jim Corbett and other places. Don't forget to book a slot (online available)  in advance before planning Jungle safari in Jim Corbett, else you won't be allowed to enter the Jungle.

Level 8

Best time to Visit any famous Tourist Place in North India is Oct to March ... As the weather in this period is always pleasant, Dec-Jan are the coldest month in North India. If you want to avoid crowd then try Feb-March, as this is School Exam time and most of us avoid travelling with family during this period 🙂

Hi @vipinsri,

Thank you for your advice! It is very helpful for local guides who want to visit this amazing country. Are you from Northern India or you go there often?

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Thank you @vipinsri for your valuable advice, I don't like crowded places :).

Just as a reminder if you wish to communicate with other Local Guide you can tag him/her in your posts by writing @ before their name, this way they receive a notification.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

@RadieN

That's great you should plan a visit. During winters the inflow of tourists are little less unlike summers. You can plan sometime in January if you like to enjoy the snowfall.

Level 9

@VasT

Yes the boats are for rent. Once in Nainital you can cover the closeby places like Bhimtaal,Khurpataal,Naukuchiyataal, Jim Corbett. These places have such beautiful landscapes which one has to view in person. Not even the best cameras can give an iota of the charm of this part of the country. 

Level 8

HI @RadieN

I'm from India's Capital DELHI, and yes it's in northern India, I love travelling and sharing my experience with others, So people visiting a place for the first time doesn't have to face problems, Enjoy their trip & come back with fond memories.. 

Just in case you are planning to Visit India, It will be my pleasure to be your guide and share tips for shopping, eating, clicking & packing. 🙂