BBir's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Lafayette, IN area Guides

Any other guides in the area? Purdue people? IU People? Indy?

Been doing the guide thing for about a year now. I really enjoy reviewing new places in town and in my travels. I have had people tell me at work who have seen my reviews that they are helpful. A guy that used to work with my wife said I was a "local celebrity" HAHA! I wouldn't go that far, but glad my stuff is seen as helpful!

Ben

Lafayette, IN, USA
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Lafayette, IN area Guides

@BBir I spent six years of my life living in West Lafayette (Go Boilers!). I'm interested to find out which places are happening now though, just in case I end up going for one of Purdue's football games this year 🙂

This remind me of a funky, eccentric Japanese restaurant called Kokoro in downtown Lafayette. The chef Tony used to say.. I don't serve Japanese food.. I serve Tony's food. He would yell at people if they're being too noisy in the restaurant, and would ask people to take off their caps/hats while dining there. The food was great though, and the place was always packed. I just did some research and found out it's already closed now 😐

Level 6

Awesome! I have been here in the Lafayette/West Lafayette area for 3 years now. My wife is getting her PhD in Ag Economics at Purdue and I followed (I work in the Pyramid building on the west side if you remember that building).

I had some coworkers talk about that place! They all enjoyed it. Downtown has a ton of new restaurants popping up lately. Even in my three years here, there have been, easily, a half-a-dozen or so pop up that are very good. I need to get out around downtown some more and review them 🙂

Can't say Boiler Up as my dad is an IU grad :-P, but I hope both universities experience success. I am an OKState guy!

Connect Moderator

@BBir Pyramid building.. doesn't ring a bell to be honest. I graduated in 2006, so if the building is newer than what I wouldn't know lol. Either that or I just flat out forgot.

Yeah so before I graduated, I heard the rumor was that Kororo was going to close down soon since Tony's getting too old and can't handle the hectic restaurant life. But I went back to Purdue around 2010 to attend the career fair (on the other side of the desk this time, hah!) and it was still opened. I love that place. So much character although sometimes you have to wait for ages to get your food (only him and his wife handle the kitchen.. nobody else is allowed)

I'll definitely ping you next time I'm in the area. We can go explore the city a bit 🙂

Level 5

Just got my Local Guide designation yesterday. Hello other guides 🙂

I own a business downtown and I'm fascinated by the changes that have happened in the past 10 years. Just in the last five years we have several new restaurants, such as Pure Eatery, East End Grill, Cellar 422, Bobby T's, Folie, Yatagarsau, Sake Sushi, Midtowne Oven, Digby's....and I'm probably forgetting a few others. Very sorry to see Kokoro go...loved Tony's food.

If you're looking for something to do when you come back for Purdue games, I highly suggest a trip to Rugged Xscape.

Great fun bundled into an hour for a group of friends 🙂