InnocensiaO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

LOCAL GUIDE PROGRAM SENSITIZATION MEET-UP

Hey everyone, 

It's almost three months since we had the Local Guide's Summit 2017 in San Francisco. I can't believe how fast the time is moving. I have been yearning to host a meet-up of some sort for some time now, just to share my experiences during the summit and also to sensitize new would-be local guides about the program, its benefits, and importance especially to a country such as Kenya which is undergoing robust infrastructural developments. 

During the #GoogleAfrica10 celebrations in early December, I got to meet the Googler who first introduced me to Google mapmaker back in 2010, while I was a student at the University of Nairobi. My conversation with him inspired the idea of embarking on a sensitization drive about the program at my alma mater, the University of Nairobi. 

On 19th December 2017,  I got a chance to make a presentation about the local guide program in the School of Engineering at the University of Nairobi. It was an audience comprising of students (undergraduate and graduate) and a lecturer.  I was able to talk about the local guide program, share my experiences from the #lgsummit17 and also gave the students a chance to experience VR for the first time through the limited edition #LGsummit17 Google cardboard.

From the engagements I had during the presentation, it was clear that more needs to be done in order to raise awareness about the program. I'm, therefore, making plans to host a geo-walk with the students in 2018 to map missing places around the campus and also conduct many more sensitization drives.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2018.

Talking about the Local guide programTalking about the Local guide program#LGSummit branded Google Cardboard#LGSummit branded Google Cardboard

A Student experiencing VR  through the Google cardboadA Student experiencing VR through the Google cardboadA Student experiencing VR  through the Google cardboadA Student experiencing VR through the Google cardboad

IMG_9641.jpg

Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
23 comments
Level 10

Re: LOCAL GUIDE PROGRAM SENSITIZATION MEET-UP

Wow @InnocensiaO this is so cool and capture the true Local Guides program essence!

Congratulations for your initiative!

Level 10

Thanks @LucioV. It was my first meet-up, I hope to do more next year.

Level 9

Very nice Meetup @InnocensiaO I like the video and how you let the students experience the VR for the first time 🙂

Keep it up 😊👍

Waiting your next Meetups 😉

Level 10

Thank you @OSAMA, they were quite taken by the google cardboard. It was really fun capturing that.

Connect Moderator

Hi @InnocensiaO,

thanks, thanks, thanks for sharing this experience with us.

So happy to virtually see your here, after two and a half months, so happy to see what you are doing in Nairobi.

I am so proud to wear your bracelet, with the colors of the Kenya's flag, so I can now say to the world "hey guys, I know this woman, I met her in San Francisco".

This kind of experiences are important, in a country that is doing a big infrastructural developement, and the students are our future. You are our future, Innocensia, in driving the learning of new technologies.

This post is touching our heart, a lovely Christmas Carol.

You are showing us that this is possible, and I love it.

All the best to you from the deepest of my heart.

Ermes

Level 10

Thanks,  @ErmesT for such kind words. I'm very happy to hear that you're still wearing the wristband.

I'm also happy anytime I log into connect, I get to say that I know most of the people behind the posts.

I'm still looking for the biscotti you bought me in San Francisco 🙂 in Nairobi. 

Regards

Connect Moderator

@InnocensiaO

So happy that you remember that beautiful moment of friendship, thanks to our Local Local Guide @KarenVChin

Ermes 

Connect Moderator

Que refrescante y agradable 🙂 es leer su Post  @InnocensiaO, personas como usted son las que tiene ese espíritu Local Guides, su país es muy distante para mí, pero se encuentra en uno de mis deseos poder visitarlo, lo veo muchas veces por NatGeo, pero no es lo mismo. Gracias por compartir su Post.

saludos Farid

Level 10

Thank you  @FaridTDF for your nice words and glad you enjoyed the post. 

I pray that one day we'll get to meet. Kenya is indeed exquisite, from the pristine white beaches and wide array of wildlife. It's definitely one of the best places to visit.

Regards.