Julien44's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: #LETSGUIDE BLIND PEOPLE

@ErmesT 

This is a great share. You have such an impresive experience and there are so many things to learn form you.

I am actually working on my review for posting it on google maps. The less I can do for the moment is to mention this bit in my review. I am so happy to bring my small stone to the building of #Letsguideblind.

In my previous post, I just wanted to say that : As this is a huge subject, I think it has to be treated step by step.

Level 10

Thanks @Julien44 for your reply. My aim here is trying to bring a real solution to help them through your topic .

@ErmesT thanks to enhance our ideas .

To continue , I want to share a technology we can add in the cane of blinds.

Generally they use it to move forward and to check the place before moving.

In the cane a captor can be also inside to send bip or vibration when there's an obstacle 3 feets or more from their position and if they continue to move the signal must be more strong to prevent that there's a danger or a risk . This is inspired by the system used by the tongue of snake and iguana to locate their prey .

What do you think?

Level 10

Good morning my friend @Venance,

No worries, I was talking about myself and the way I manage it at my level.

Your propositions are very good. Once again, the one mentionnend on the below post is very clever. It remind me what is existing on new car. The bipbip in front and in the back for parking.

Do you have blind people around you? Do you know some?

@Venance Thank you so much for your contributions and see you around.

Jul

Level 10

Thanks my friend @Julien44,

CE Qui est marrant c'est que je n'ai aucune expérience avec une personne aveugle . Toutes ces idées me viennent par inspiration .

Je ne force pas à peine je pense au sujet que germe dans mon esprit de nouvelles orientations qui  j'espère sont réalistes et faciles à exécuter .

Surtout je prends plaisir à les partager afin d'être amélioré ou exécuté.

Et je remercie surtout @ErmesT pour ses encouragements et surtout sa présence ,  sans te connaître personnellement je constate que tu es une personne spéciale et surtout tu mérites d'être à ton poste car tu es un passionné.

Au plaisir de vous rencontrer un jour 

Level 10

@Venance 

Tu es aussi une belle personne. On le voit à travers tes posts. Tu partages, tu penses aux autres sans te soucier du retour. Tes interventions sur le post #Letsguideblind seront, je l'espère, d'une grande utilité.

Bien à toi

Jul

Googler

Hi @Julien44 and everyone who's commented. 

Let me answer @Julien44's questions from my personal perspective:

We continue doing what we're doing, being Local Guides! We make sure to add captions to all images (so that screenreaders can vocalize the captions to those viewing imagery, to make all contributions on Maps accessible for all), we are descriptive in our reviews (For example, "this place is quite narrow, so would make navigation challenging for some" or "braille menus available""

There is indeed a need for information as Google Maps and other Google products are services aren't limited to specific people and they're always changing to be more inclusive and helpful to all. I was just in Dublin this weekend and met a man who had low vision. It meant he is legally blind in the United States and uses an assistive device (a walking cane) to get around. While his vision may not be 100%, he can still see certain things and I was showing him how to use voice commands on his phone (which was a bit hard for me as he had an iPhone and I have an Android, so explaining was hard) but we had one thing in common: Google Maps, so I was able to show him how to get directions to where he needed to go. The availability of accessibility modes on devices and speech commands have really expanded everything to be more accessible so we just have to make sure the information is there for them to access. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Hello @TraciC,

Thanks for coming back to us on that post and for sharing your experience.

It is always helpfull for us to have such a point of view.

As you mentionned, we have to make sure the information is on our reviews for them to access.

I will for sure, in all my next reviews, try to mention as mu as possible information related to blind.

#Letsguideblind  Better ;-).

See you around

Jul 

Level 10

Hi @TraciC

Thanks for your deep answer .

Googler

Happy to share, @Julien44 and @Venance. Of course, a way to take it to the next level is by creating lists especially for people who may need extra information to navigate their world like us. I'm trying to put a list together based on my trip to Dublin last week, but finding places that are wheelchair-accessible was really hard. 😕 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Thanks @TraciC to allow us to give our point of view on this important topic .

I'll be back soon