MrLabule's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Kuto (Food) Market Day

In the ancient city of Abẹ́òkúta (Abeokuta, capital city of Ogun State, Nigeria), there are some major markets that enjoys a rotational 5 days interval before the next market day! Yesterday December 1st happens to be the Kuto Market day located just beside the popular Kuto Motor Park near the Oba Lipede Ultra Modern Market linked to each other from the extreme of each markets.

Kuto Market Drive Entrance/ExitKuto Market Drive Entrance/Exit

Newly Refurbished Multipurpose MarketNewly Refurbished Multipurpose Market

Traders and buyers comes in troops to make purchases, bargain and huge sales is usually recorded. When I was in school during school days about 15 years ago when I visit myself, you need not know the prices of food items (packaged, staple raw and cooked) including all the ingredients needed. The market women calls you to come buy from them and they tell you the prices even before you mention! This isn't mentioned secretly as there is a great competition and the zeal to sell more hereby reducing the selling price to the lowest possible. I met same yesterday when I visited and it's still more of the same style.

Aa rowdy and disorganized as it may appear, it's still the best time for me and many other people who come to the market to get food stuffs, fish, meat, pepper, and other daily groceries we usually get in the supermarkets, chains of stores, and malls of today. There are also drink sellers including zobo, rich already made tea in which they use long deep spoons to pour in sachets, without forgetting what we call pito (dark purple in colour) to cool the body under the scorching sun. Other markets I've been to is the Omida market, Sapon market and the Lafenwa market. All these markets are located at a popular bustop which is a good attractive sight. For lovers of home made meals (foodie) like me, these markets are places to get all you need to prepare rich meals same as what the restaurants offer us. Pito Drink as she dips the spoon to sell to mePito Drink as she dips the spoon to sell to me

Other markets I've been to in other market days are the Omida market, Sapon market and the Lafenwa market. All these markets are located at a popular bustops and areas which is a good attractive sight. For lovers of home made meals (foodie) like me, these markets are places to get all you need to prepare rich meals same as what the restaurants offer us. More pictures of items on sale in the market appears here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XqEKFiKoSrCNR17M9

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Abeokuta South, Nigeria
9 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kuto (Food) Market Day

Colourful and insightful post. Thanks @MrLabule. Nice one. 

Level 10

W😱W!!! @MrLabule, lots of my childhood memories in your post and most especially your photos. Thanks! Thanks!! Thanks!!!

Level 8

Thanks for sharing this post on connect.

Level 10

Like I figured there are so many memories! Our roots are not to be forgotten ever! I'm glad I was able to remind you of these good moments @SanyaOdare

Level 10

It's more of a passion @TaofeekOseni

Level 10

Thanks for loving it @Anonymous

Google Vendor

Thank you for sharing your post with us @MrLabule. It seems that you had a short trip back in time in your memories. I liked reading your story. We had such markets in my country as well, but now they are not happening so often. Is there any kind of schedule about where and when these markets will take place?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Yes! I am happy you love this @InaS! I am very much familiar with the South Western states (moreso Lagos and Ogun states) in Nigeria. There is the popular Aswani Market day every Tuesday In Isolo Local Council Development Area in Lagos State. And just like I mentioned in the post, it takes a five day period between this particular market in Abeokuta and the other ones rotating and accomodating more crowd of customers and sellers.

Google Vendor

That is very interesting @MrLabule. Can't wait to see more posts from you. 

Keep up sharing and contributing!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!