PavelSarwar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Kuala Lumpur Pitha Fair

The Bangladeshi community of Malaysia organized the Pitha Mela at Putrajaya, Malaysia. The arrangement of homemade Bangladeshi Pitha at the foreign country really very commendable. Almost a hundred types of Pitha are shown in this fair. This is one of the best Bangladeshi get together.

pita_03.jpg

Now Question is what is Pitha? Pitha is a type of rice cake from the eastern regions of the Indian subcontinent, common in Bangladesh, Nepal and India. Pithas are typically made of rice flour, although there are some types of pitha made of wheat flour.

pita_02.jpg

The pitha is a very popular and liked food to all the Bengali. While some pitha can be made at any time of the year in Bengal (Bangladesh and Indian West Bengal), there are special pitha strongly associated with harvest festivals such as Nabanna (literally - new rice or new food) and the Poush parbon or Makar Sankranti, celebrated on January 14 every year.

pita_04.jpg

Pitha are usually made with rice flour, milk, coconut and jaggery. It is often served with sweet syrups such as date tree molasses (khejurer guṛ). Some of the most common pitha found in Bengal (both in Bangladesh and West Bengal) include the following:

pita_01.jpg

Teler piṭha (oil pitha), Bhapa piṭha (steamed pitha), Puli piṭha (dumplings), Beni piṭha (braid pitha), Dudher piṭha (milk pitha) or bhija piṭha (wet pitha), Chôndro puli, Muger puli, Dudh puli, Nokshi pitha, Paṭi shapta (thin crepes stuffed with jaggery and coconut),Taal pitha (made of Asian palmyra palm fruits),Mug pakon, Gokul, Chui Pitha or Chutki Pitha (Traditional Old Dhaka Pitha).

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Putrajaya, Malaysia
15 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Kuala Lumpur Pitha Fair

Hi @PavelSarwar ,

Thank you for sharing these great photos with us.

The Pithas look very delicious and pretty.  Are they only sweet? How often do you make them at home? I really like making some bread or anything made with dough.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hello @PavelSarwar,

Thank you for your detailed explanation about pitha, if it's not because of your post I won't know there are so many variations and of course all looks delicious. 

This is a great event to introduce the cuisine of your country, is it a yearly event?. 

In addition to that, I am changing your topic label to the food & drink topic where it will get a better attention. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Hello @PavelSarwar 

Thanks for sharing your post with us.

Many of them are my favorite pitha's like: Puli Pitha, Chitol Pitha, Coconut Bar, Patishapta, Coconut Naros, and Dud Chitol.

Level 7

Hi @PavelSarwar 

OMG what a event you had participated , its amazing , looks great , I am feeling greed.  I am a crazy about PITHA.    Thank you so much for sharing the photos. Thanks to the them who arrange the wonderful  PITHA Fair. Its really a great way to expand our local culture in abroad. I am proud of you guys as a Bangladeshi. 

Md Zahidul Islam Opal
Level 7

Hi @PavelSarwar 

OMG what a event you had participated , its amazing , looks great , I am feeling greed.  I am a crazy about PITHA.    Thank you so much for sharing the photos. Thanks to the them who arrange the wonderful  PITHA Fair. Its really a great way to expand our local culture in abroad. I am proud of you guys as a Bangladeshi. 

Md Zahidul Islam Opal
Level 8

@MoniV Yes. Bangladeshi Pitthas always delicious. Not all pithas are sweet, have spicy and different flavor. I can't make any pitha. @SumaiyaZafrin  and my mother and mother in law always make for me. ha ha ha.  

Level 8

This is now an annual event in Malaysia organised by Bangladeshi community. Thank you so much.

Former Google Contributor

@PavelSarwar this is great. I really like this kind of food, and probably will try making some Pitha for my family.

Is there a special recipe or I can find any on the internet?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 8

@SumaiyaZafrin  can you provide @MoniV  her few special recipe. U can also find on internet. Example