IshantHP_ig's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Kosi Barrage/Bairaaj Ramnagar Dam, Uttarakhand, India

Caption: Actual view of Kosi Barrage Ramnagar Dam, Uttarakhand, India (Photo by Local Guide IshantHP_ig).Caption: Actual view of Kosi Barrage Ramnagar Dam, Uttarakhand, India (Photo by Local Guide IshantHP_ig).

KOSI BARRAGE, RAMNAGAR DAM, UTTARAKHAND, INDIA 

Kosi Barrage is a type of dam which is situated in Ramnagar, which is a small town and muncipal board in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand, India. Ramnagar is situated about 65 Km from Nainital, which is known as the headquarter of the district.

Ramnagar is the gateway to the Corbett National Park and a famous tourist destination of India.

About Dam:

It's 54.25 m long barrage which is constructed across river Kosi at Almora to provide Drinking water to about 1 lac 30 thousand people of Almora city and nearby places. The reservoir formed will have a capacity of about 0.40 million cubic metre. The Detailed Project Report for Kosi Barrage has been prepared by the Indian Institute of Technology ROORKEE in July 2012.

Caption: Water flowing from a slope at Kosi Barrage Dam.Caption: Water flowing from a slope at Kosi Barrage Dam.

• The water discharge for barrage is about 1200 Cumec 
  • Total width of barrage is 54.25 M
  • Capacity of reservoir is 0.40 MCM
  • Length of reservoir is 2 Km
  • Number of Bays is 5 Nos.
  • Type of Gates in dam is Vertical Gates
  • Size of Gates is  9.85 m(width)x8.20(Height)
  • Power generation is 600 Kw

As a civil engineer @SalmaanN you can understand the above parameters.

Caption: Water level Indicator of DamCaption: Water level Indicator of Dam

Caption: Dam roadCaption: Dam road

Caption: Public park near damCaption: Public park near dam

Caption: Financial Details related to the  beauty of damCaption: Financial Details related to the beauty of dam

Kosi Barrage Ramnagar Dam Photos

How to reach Kosi Barrage?

The nearby railway station is Ramnagar railway station which is about 1.9 km from dam, it'll take around 6 minutes via car and 23 minutes by walk.

However you can book auto/taxi to visit the dam.  

Caption: Distance from Ramnagar railway station to Kosi Barrage Ramnagar dam, Uttarakhand, IndiaCaption: Distance from Ramnagar railway station to Kosi Barrage Ramnagar dam, Uttarakhand, India

HAVE A GOOD DAY!  

Kosi Barrage, Mailani Range, Uttarakhand, India
21 comments
Level 10

Re: Kosi Barrage/Bairaaj Ramnagar Dam, Uttarakhand, India

@IshantHP_ig, thanks for sharing photos and the very good information.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 9

Wao @IshantHP_ig,

Wonderful post. I like it. Thank you for sharing additional details about Ram Nagar.... Did you know after watching Kaal movie of Ajay Devgan I decided to visit there but it is still a dream.... Would love to visit there soon. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Former Google Contributor

Hi @IshantHP_ig,

This post is very useful, thanks for sharing.

All the needed infos are included. I can't wait to see your next great post. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

Level 9

Level 9

Thank you @IshantHP_ig  for mention me in your post.

The post is informative and interesting.

It is interesting to know more about Corbett National Park.

Have you got photos of this National park ,did you visit it!?

Have a nice weekend,

Inga

Level 10

Thanks for this informative share. Nice photos. Although could not find a photo of water fall. Maybe you were away from it so haven't taken a picture. Or I think this is just an irrigation barrage system with no power generating system. Have a great Sunday 😊

Level 9

Hello @GhazalaShah 

These days the dam is under cleaning so some gates of dam closed due to this the water flows at a low rate in dam and you are right the dam is for irrigation and to supply water to nearby villages:)