GeorgesHR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: How to correct location name in regional language on maps ?

Hi @NGUDAPE,

Thank you for signaling this issue! The team is already aware of it and is working very hard on solving it. Please bear with me for the time being. Hopefully, a solution will be found soon.

P.S.: I merged your post with the official thread. This will help reduce clutter and avoid confusion for other Local Guides that are looking for a solution via Connect. Once I receive an update, I will post the information in there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Important: New system of editing caused to wrong naming language

WNL.jpg

If you saw, the method of editing in App was changed since weeks ago. It seems this new method is a web-based app.

In fact I don't like this new editing mode because previous in-app editing was more straight forward.

But most difficulties with this new editing method is that:

We can not edit the name in other languages than English. If for example want to add French name, system mistakenly put's our edit over English name. So not only it increase chance of Pending but also after approving we see French name replaced with English name in English name field!!

I sent feedback in this case about two months ago when this new editing method was still in first days in android app. But still the problem exists and even Google extended it to web version.

So currently, there is no option to add name of a place in other languages rather than English!!

Using Edit Option in French Google MapsUsing Edit Option in French Google MapsFrench name fieldFrench name fieldSystem say thanks for edit in FrenchSystem say thanks for edit in French But email is in English and shows system thinks I edited English name!But email is in English and shows system thinks I edited English name!I ask Googlers to investigate this problem asap because this really needs attention to prevent from many wrong naming for places allover the world. @TraciC @AriMar

Thanks

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 10

Re: Important: New system of editing caused to wrong naming language

Hi @Amiran I'm not able to change my language settings in the app at all! So no way to name in another language for me.

Level 10

Hello @LucioV

Yes, there is no option in app but we could change OS language and Maps as a result to add name in another language.

But by new changes for editing (Now both on App and Web), if we edit name in another language, system thinks we edited English name!! I attached related pictures.

So right now practically this is impossible to edit name in another languages

Level 10

For each problems maybe we can find some tricks but problems should be resolved basically. So in this case I appreciate if Googlers investigate this problem, compare old editing area with new one to find the problem and resolve it.

Level 10

Hello @Amiran

About two months ago when we saw this important problem in Maps mobile version sent a feedback.

We told each other that there is still a desktop version of the previous one which can edit other language via desktop version and also said to Iranian local guides community to edit Persian language just via desktop.

Name 5.JPG

Today when you said this problem goes desktop version I try to make an example to describe this problem in other language like Persian

1- English Field is empty and the Persian name is wrong 

Browser: Chrome version Version 70.0.3538.102

Language: English

Name 1.JPG

2- Change the language of Map to Persian and try to correct the name

Name 2.JPG

3- The email received in English format

Name 6.JPG

4- The correct Persian name wrongly inserted in English field by system and the Persian name still as before

Map language: English

Name 3.JPG

The link example place: https://maps.app.goo.gl/254W4

This is very important problem and need Googlers attention to tell the appropriate team for fix this problem.

Thank you

Level 3

German text-to-speach

German language has clear rules how written text is spoken, e.g. 'a' is always like army and never like alien

Google maps Navigator should follow these rules. It is very confusing if German sites are pronounced in English (e.g. exit Kagran on A23 in Vienna)

Hello @Amiran and @SamanS,

Thanks for reaching out!

Your feedback is very important to us, and is what makes the platform better. We are going to pass this on to the right team.   

Please in future, submit your ideas in the Idea Exchange here on Connect, for other Local Guides to see. This is the best way for your ideas to be implemented. For more info please review this post - How do I use Idea exchange?

As a reminder, please avoid tagging Googlers who are not already mentioned in the Meet the Google Moderators post.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you @MortenSI I really appreciate investigation in this case.

In fact I have doubt about accurate section but because this isn't an idea and was only a notification and feedback I posted it here. If we had better named sections I was more comfortable to choose for post this 😄

And thank for reminding about Google Moderators. As this post frequently updated and I do not review it, maybe sometimes I tag Googlers that I know more and helped us before. Anyway in future I'll try to tag accurate Googlers. Till next announcement You :))

Hello @Amiran and @SamanS,

As an FYI - this is an issue the Google Maps teams are aware of and it is still being investigated. Your post is not the first of its kind on this issue.

I am going to merge this conversation into a similar thread that pre-dates your post. Thank you for raising the issue and sharing the detailed screenshots.

I am not available to respond on the weekend