UdokaObis's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Kilishi

20210608_143452.jpg

If you have anyone coming from the Northern Nigeria, there is a 100% chance that they would be coming back with Kilishi. This particular Kilishi was gotten from Abuja, Nigeria.

Kilishi originates from Hausaland. It is a dried form of suya, made from deboned cow, sheep or goat meat. 

IMG-20210608-WA0038.jpg

A paste made from peanuts, called labu, is diluted with enough water, spices, salt, ground onions, and sometimes sweeteners such as honey, to add sweetness. A more natural way to add sweetness is by adding date palm. The dried "sheets" of meat are then immersed one by one in the labu paste to coat them, before being left to dry for hours before roasting on a wire mesh.

One of the things I love most about Kilishi is that Kilishi can be kept for months without much change to its taste.

Owerri, Imo, Nigeria
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Kilishi

Hello @UdokaObis,

Thank you for sharing these photos with us, the meal looks very interesting and delicious!

Personally, the kilishi reminded me of a similar thing that we used to make in Morocco, called khlii or qadid. There, people cut very tiny slices of meat to which they add some specific spices and let dry for days. Once the meat ready, it has a very particular smell and it is usually cooked with eggs, very delicious!

Do you usually eat kilishi alone, or you can mix it with something else?

It seems that you like taking pictures of your dishes, I suggest these helpful articles, where you can find useful suggestions: The lighting tip that makes food look delicious and 5 tips to consider when styling food.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 3

@UdokaObis  какая интересная паста)

Level 7

@BorrisS , apologies for late response. Khlii sounds like something I would love to try. Yes Kilishi can be eaten alone as dry meat, some people cook it in noodles. Most times people just chew it and have a drink by the side.