Sagir's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Kilishi (Jerky)

Kilishi ready to eatKilishi ready to eat

Kilishi is a version of jerky that is originated from Northern part of Nigeria.

In the olden days, the merchants started this delicacy as a way of having meat while on traveling.
Since fresh meat can’t survive the long journey, they start to dry the meat in sun prior to travel. Later they start to add spice and make it ready to eat food.

It is made from deboned cow, sheep or goat meat.
Each of the selected muscles is sliced into sheets for easy drying.

The dried sheets of meat are then collected and kept for the next process.
A paste made from peanuts, pepper, ginger, pepper mint, spices, salt, and sometimes sweeteners such as honey, to add sweetness.

The dried sheets of meat are then immersed one by one in the paste to coat it, before being left to dry for hours in sun.

After drying then it is roasting on a wire mesh until when it is brown.
The more it dry the more it stay longer.
Kilishi can be kept for months without much change to its taste.
Now kilishi is very common in most of the west African countries.
When you are in Nigeria remember to have a taste of kilishi...

Were you able to taste kilishi @TraciC ?

I think @U-royFelixA will agree with me that if you didn't taste kilishi you missed a lot... 😃😄😋

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

17 comments
Level 7

Re: Kilishi (Jerky)

Nice post @Sagir Kilishi is indeed a delicious meat, honestly my mouth is watering craving for it. Y'all should try and test it I am sure it's going to to be one of the sweetest thing you ever taste. OydI not just the meat but the aroma and the chilly. God 😋😋😋

Sulaiman Abubakar Salihu
Level 10

@Sagir I actually made sure @TraciC tasted when she visited Abuja but I’m not sure she eventually did. Personally, Kilishi is one of my favorite. Thank you very much for sharing, Sagir. 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Sagir,

Awesome, thanks for sharing this with us! I would love to try kilishi and I'm sure it will be good. We have a similar meat product back home, biltong. 🙂 It comes in a variety of flavors and it's to die for! Have you tried to make kilishi yourself?

I think @Aruni might have tried both, as she is also a meat lover. 🙂

A variety of beef biltong (Local Guide Natalie local-info)A variety of beef biltong (Local Guide Natalie local-info)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Thanks @Sagir for sharing. Indeed kilishi taste sweet. Exact time I am in the north I take it very well

Level 8

@Detective_Sulymani understand how you feel😂 its so sweet and tasty

Level 7

Awesome post! It's very interesting to learn the process that goes into making Kilishi.  I eat it up so quickly when I see it I've never really asked how it's done.  I looked up how jerky is made and just assumed it is about the same process, thanks for sharing! @Sagir  P.S  - where can you recommend for goat and sheep kilishi?

Live free and do good!
Level 7

Hey @AlexaAC Biltong looks delicious, where is back home though? I want to make a note to seek this out if I'm ever in the region.

Live free and do good!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Chizbeth,

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to ask! 😀 Back home is South Africa. You can find biltong in almost all shopping centres and it is readily available at most butchers, around the country. Chilli beef biltong sticks are my favorite! Hope you get the chance to try it. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

LOL! Thanks @AlexaAC South Africa is on my agenda in the near future God willing! My friend that went last year ate so much food...she said everything was delicious! Perhaps I can get some suggestions on local delicacies from you when I'm going.

Live free and do good!