TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Kathakali Performing Art, Kerala - TravellerG

Dear all,

As a performing artist, on the request of my colleagues, I am presenting this post, for you all; hope you all will like.

Kathakali is one of the major Indian classical dances, with its origin from Kerala. In a typical classical performance, the team renders a Full Story, overnight! The performing artists include the Actors with elaborately colourful costumes (with facemasks), accompanied by Vocal & Instrumental artists.

This is one of the most popular Tourist Attraction, and the art is performed as, from 45 minutes to two & half hours performance, for the tourists (usually with detailed explanations).

No: 1

No: 2.

No: 3.

No: 4.

No: 5.

No: 6.

In the famous Kerala Kalamandalam, Kathakali is taught, in the most traditional & classical style.

For details, I invite you to  Wiki  - Kathakali and Kerala Kalamandapam 

In this series, I have tried to provide photos, with importance to the facial expressions, which can be easily understood, I hope. [The photos are from my collections & not shot by me – I could not locate mine, which will be published later. Another simplified form of this art, called ‘Ottamthullal’, will also be published, shortly].

Dear @LucioV  @davidhyno  @BeatrizAguilar @Kamalhasnainee @HiroyukiTakisawa @Saravanakanth @SalmaanN @Anonymous @Shrut19 @aaryesdee. when free, kindly comment.

Thanks, all..

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Kerala Kalamandalam, Cheruthuruthy, Kerala, India
53 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Kathakali Performing Art, Kerala - TravellerG

Hi @TravellerG,

Thank you for your great post! I have studied about Kathakali performances at university and I was fascinated by their colourful costumes and make-up. I have heard that sometimes their make-up takes about 5 hours to be ready. 

So you are a performing artist? Are you performing Kathakali?

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@TravellerG

Thanks for a great review on Kathakali literally meaning Katha means Story and Kali means Play. Kathakali is a traditional dance form originated from Kerala and there were few great artists like Guru Chengannur Raman Pillai and Chenda Vidvan Warrier who is still remembered for their contributions.

I been to a Kathakali show last month at Mudra Cultural Centre, Kumily and few pictures are attached herewith.CameraZOOM-20181122174206193.jpg

CameraZOOM-20181122171150836.jpg

CameraZOOM-20181122171136127.jpg

CameraZOOM-20181122171142160.jpg

R S Dev
Level 10

Namasthe dear @RadieN,

Thank you for your great post! I have studied about Kathakali performances at university and I was fascinated by their colourful costumes and make-up. I have heard that sometimes their make-up takes about 5 hours to be ready.

In some complicated make-up cases, they even go more than 8 Hours (or even much more); It's a different world, as you know.

So you are a performing artist? Are you performing Kathakali?

Appreciate your inquisitiveness:

My father was a Kathakali Artist. By Grace of God & blessings from my father & Gurus, I play Sitar & Thabala.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Namskar..

@TravellerG

Very old and Famous Dance form in India also very impressive Facial expressions.. all Photo also Very Beautiful and Attractive, with Details..

Thanks for Sharing this beautiful Dance culture of Our India..

Level 10

Thank you very much, dear @aaryesdee for your detailed reply. I am also thankful contributions of Kathakali photos - your gesture is highly appreciated, dear friend.

With regards & prayers

Level 10

Thank you dear @Shrut19, Yes, it is an ancient form of Classical Art, from Kerala. Hope you enjoyed the shots.

Regards

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing this @TravellerG

It's a beautiful and historic art!

It looks so hard, but such a traditional dance is a very important culture. Please pass down it to the next generation:-)

Former Google Contributor

Hello @TravellerG,

Thank you for these beautiful pictures! 

I've always been amazed by all kind of Indian dances, Bharat Natyam, Kathak, ... etc. Kathakali, if I'm not mistaken tells the story of the Mahabharata using special gestures.

Next to Hindu temples, Kathakali is the second reason why I would like one day to visit Kerala. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

@Borris

Hi

To visit God's own Country, plan for minimum 10 days. You will enjoy.

Thanks & Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev