KomalMaru's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Karanji Lake - Mysore

IMG_8730.JPGIMG_8747.JPGIMG_8836.JPGIMG_8864.JPGIMG_8897.JPGIMG_8900.JPGKaranji Lake was built by the King of Mysore about 100 years back, as a percolation tank. This lake is surrounded by nature park consisting of butterfly park and a walk through aviary. The aviary has birds like Peacocks, White Peacocks, Black Swans, White Pigeons, etc.

I saw White Peacock for the first time and was lucky to see even its dance.

The video attached shows my walk through inside the aviary and visual treat of enjoying the view of birds.

You can get cycle for ride on rental basis. You can also do boating here.

You can visit Karanji Lake from 08.30 am to 05.30 pm on all days throughout the week, except on Tuesdays. The entry fee of the Karanji Lake is also minimal which allows everyone to enjoy its serene beauty. It is Rs.10 per person. For video camera, the charges are Rs.25 and still camera charges are Rs.10.

Karanji Lake lies at a distance of 2 km from the Mysore Palace.

This is must explore place in Mysore and enjoy nature.

Karanji Lake, Jockey Quarters, Mysuru, Karnataka
25 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Karanji Lake - Mysore

Thanks for sharing this place @KomalMaru great post and I have not seen a white peacock before either. Lucky you. Is it normal for tourism places near you to charge camera fees? I've never heard of that before.

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich I am glad you like the post and got to White Peacock. Yes, in India at few Tourist attraction places there are charges to be paid for camera. 

Connect Moderator

I wonder how often that happens around the world @KomalMaru do they charge for phones?

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich At tourist attraction places yes they even charge for mobile phone. Usually its nominal charge for mobile phones and SLR / DSLR kind of cameras are charged more.

Also in India, unfortunately certain tourist attraction places, entry charges are high for International Tourist than domestic ones, which I personally feel is not fair. But thats how tourism here is 😞

Connect Moderator

Higher prices for tourists isn't unusual @KomalMaru, our theme parks charge locals less to enter.

Even our local bakery charges less if they know you're local :).

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich Ah! I didn't know that. 

Level 10

Hi dear @KomalMaru, this is one of my favorite places of Mysore, too. I really appreciate the well written post & the video. Can I humbly suggest to edit & add at least ONE STILL PHOTO, so that the post will have cover photo - OK?

Have gone for the Boat ride? It is also very enjoyable.

Your comments on cameras International Tourists are very correct - very sad....

By the bye, @aaryesdee, have you been here? What do you feel?

Thanks

Level 10

Dear Paul, fortunately, we have a large number of White Peacocks in India. In Karanji Lake, the beauty is that we can see them in open, within the Aviary area - a great place.

Camera is big burden her in India; almost all tourist centres charge heavily; many places, photography is restricted too. Many places, I go with prior permission from the authorities, to avoid unpleasantness.

You know one funny thing? Few places, 'STAND [TRIPOD] PHOTOGRAPHY' is strictly prohibited - no one could explain the reason to me... really sad.

One more sad point, dear @PaulPavlinovich:

Karanj Lake, Mysore is one of the best places in Mysore, but NOT KNOWN to many & not PROMOTED by tourist operators; I represented this point twice to the authorities - just to get a reply "We will surely look into the matter" - that is it.

Level 10

There were lots of beautiful birds, the time when we went, dear @KomalMaru.

This close up, to best of my knowledge, is from the aviary: