Prof-Supten's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Kanyakumari - one of the best tourist spots in the world

After sunrise on a cloudy dayAfter sunrise on a cloudy dayVivekananda Memorial and Thiruvalluvar statues in daylightVivekananda Memorial and Thiruvalluvar statues in daylightVivekananda Memorial and Thiruvalluvar statues in eveningVivekananda Memorial and Thiruvalluvar statues in evening

Often I have been asked, in India, and abroad, what is the best place in India to visit. My favorite answer has always been Kanyakumari - the southernmost tip of the mainland of India.

It is certainly one of the best tourist spots anywhere in the world. One can see the Sun rise on the Bay of Bengal, take a swim in the Indian Ocean, and see the Sun set into the Arabian Sea - all on the same day! The beaches have nine varieties of sand!

For the religiously inclined, there is the Kanyakumari temple and the Vivekananda Memorial Rock, The rock has the footprint of a (goddess) Uma - meditating for Lord Shiva. In the late 19th century Swami Vivekananda had swam across to the rock before he had gone to the Western world. Later, on the adjacent rock a statue was built in honor of the Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar. There is also a wax museum in Kanyakumari.

However, the beauty lies in watching the three different seas, with their distinct color and characteristics along the whole day, relaxing in the Sun and taking swims across.

Words can't describe the unique beauty of this place. Anyone reading this, if you haven't visited yet, must visit as early as possible. I have been there many times and intend to go again and again.

Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, India