kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Kanelbullens Dag: the Swedish holiday all about cinnamon buns

October 1 is International Coffee Day, but we’re so passionate about coffee that we’re celebrating all week long. Follow us on social media and Connect to get your caffeine fix.

Swedes love coffee so much, they built an official coffee break into their workday called “fika.” Typically held either mid-morning, mid-afternoon, or both, fika is a chance for Swedes to slow down, connect with coworkers, and enjoy a hot beverage with a tasty snack. Integral to the traditional fika experience is kanelbullar, or cinnamon buns.

This sugar crystal-studded classic Swedish pastry features woven or twirled ribbons of cardamom bread dough hiding layers of cinnamon and pockets of butter. Sounds good, right? The Swedish are so proud of this delicacy that they created an entire holiday around it, Kanelbullens Dag (Cinnamon Bun Day), and it’s coming up on October 4th.

In celebration of this delicious holiday, here are five spots in Stockholm Local Guides love for their cinnamon buns.

Cafe Saturnus

This charming cafe has French vibes and arguably the largest kanelbullar in Stockholm. This plate-sized interpretation requires at least two people to finish it (or just one if you really believe in yourself).

Caption: A close-up photo of a large kanelbullar, a type of Swedish cinnamon roll studded with sugar crystals, at Cafe Saturnus in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Truls Busch-Christensen)Caption: A close-up photo of a large kanelbullar, a type of Swedish cinnamon roll studded with sugar crystals, at Cafe Saturnus in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Truls Busch-Christensen)

Local Guides say:

“The cafe was packed when my brother and I visited on a Saturday afternoon, but the taste of the cinnamon bun was so worth the wait. The outside was crisp and sweet while the insides were soft, warm and perfect. A single cinnamon bun is enough to share…” - Local Guide Steph Todd

Bageri Petrus

This widely respected kanelbullar manages to have the perfect, classic kanelbulle consistency, but deviates from the classic slightly with a syrup-filled center and almond flakes on top.

Caption: A photo of two Swedish cinnamon rolls on plates next to two oversized cups of coffee on a round bistro table at Bageri Petrus in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Nina Fitton)Caption: A photo of two Swedish cinnamon rolls on plates next to two oversized cups of coffee on a round bistro table at Bageri Petrus in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Nina Fitton)

Local Guides say:

“My favorite kanelbullar and kardemummabullar in Sthlm! The fact that you need to get your own coffee and the free refills really give this place a home-like feel :)” -Local Guide NRC63AMG

Valhallabageriet

Going old school in everything from its look to its cinnamon buns, this bakery follows a classic recipe that gives some height and density to the buns as well as plenty of cinnamon.

Caption: A photo of a Swedish cinnamon roll with sugar crystals on top and a cardamom bun on top of a white paper bag printed with “Valhallabageriet,” a bakery in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Megan E)Caption: A photo of a Swedish cinnamon roll with sugar crystals on top and a cardamom bun on top of a white paper bag printed with “Valhallabageriet,” a bakery in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Megan E)Local Guides say:

“Cozy little bakery with great selections of breads and pastries. Best kanelbullar in Stockholm.” -Local Guide Dan Towers

Vette-Katten

Stylish and comfortable, this cafe has been around since the 1920s, and its kanelbullar reflect its history, adhering to a traditional recipe.  

Caption: A photo of a Swedish cinnamon roll and princess cake with green icing on a marble tower with a small flower in a vase at Vette-Katten in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Carlos Villa Blanco)Caption: A photo of a Swedish cinnamon roll and princess cake with green icing on a marble tower with a small flower in a vase at Vette-Katten in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Carlos Villa Blanco)

Local Guides say:

“You experience a classy traditional Swedish cafe. Enjoy cakes and sweet breads - the classic Swedish kanelbulle (cinnamon bun) being my favourite - with refillable coffee or a large pot of tea in a cozy and refined setting.” -Local Guide Paul Pui Wo Lee

Lillebrors bageri

Like Vette-Katten, Lillebrors bageri tops its kanelbullar with almond flakes, but the comparisons stop there. This quaint bakery serves up incredibly moist buns that do not bother to attempt to cover up the amount of butter used.

Caption: A photo of a Swedish cinnamon roll and small, rectangular piece of cake on plates on a white marble table outside at Lillebrors bageri in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Anna Joo)Caption: A photo of a Swedish cinnamon roll and small, rectangular piece of cake on plates on a white marble table outside at Lillebrors bageri in Stockholm, Sweden. (Local Guide Anna Joo)

Local Guides say:

“Best Cinnamon bun in Stockholm! Totally worth the hype, the wait and the walk there... fantastic!” -Local Guide Adam Almagro

What is your favorite cafe for a coffee break? Let us know in the comments below!

6 comments
Level 9

Re: Kanelbullens Dag: the Swedish holiday all about cinnamon buns

Nice post @kmajewski Iam always drink coffee favourite in my home ...

Connect Moderator

A holiday based around cinnamon buns? I'm in love! 😍 This swedish version sounds much better than what I'm used to in the states 😁. Regardless, seems I'll be celebrating from the U.S. with my own cinnamon bun 😋. Happy Kanelbullens Dag! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 10

Rif.: Kanelbullens Dag: the Swedish holiday all about cinnamon buns

Level 9

Thank you @kmajewski for your post about International Coffee Day. 

Connect Moderator

It's interesting that they have a day dedicated to cinnamon buns, and very cool.

It's also nice to know that they invented a word specifically for coffee break, they sure love their coffee. Thank you for sharing this facts and good cafes, @kmajewski.

I would have to say my favorite place for a coffee break is in the Havanna cafes (even though Havanna is their name, they originated from the province of Buenos Aires)

They not only have different variety and quick service in every one, but I can also have an alfajor or a conito with my coffee, they are Argentine traditional sweet snacks, both with dulce de leche inside.

Here's the link of Google Maps to an Havanna in the city where it was founded.

Level 8

Svar: Kanelbullens Dag: the Swedish holiday all about cinnamon buns

@kmajewski This might be one of the best posts I've read here on connect, cinnamon rolls is a must in my life. I have to add one to the list though, since the best kanelbulle I've eaten in my life comes from a little bakery in Solna. They're so small they don't even have a web page but here's their Facebook: Du Bon Pain

Also, talking about fika. I'm hosting a meet-up in a few weeks where fika is the main event. Feel free to spread it! https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup/23a56a2cbcee45e8a6c2ad2eeb374835