cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

KIGALI MEMORIAL CENTRE TOUR

Note: Some images may disturb some readers

Greetings my fellow Local Guides,

Recently I have been inspired w/ Shirley  post "Your Most Adventurous Under 24 hour Layover?". I am big fan of -24 hrs layovers especially new destination routes this give me a chance to explore new destination. Last year I visited South Africa & I opt 1 stop transit in Kigali (capital city) for 8 hours.

Rwanda was one of my travel bucket list destination because of their history events & wildlife. This was my opportunity to explore in 6 hours (I exclude 2 hours as flight reporting time).

When I was young I saw on tv & read about Rwanda Genocide ("the genocide against the Tutsi") was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority government. An estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed during the 100 - day period from 7 April to mid -July 1994 and later I watched Don Cheadle movie called "Hotel Rwanda" this gave me such emotional feelings about what happened there. 

Reception entranceReception entrance

Only 1 place to visit on my mind was Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre commemorates the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi tribe. The place where the remains of over 250,000 people are interred there. The center is a permanent memorial to those who fell victim to the genocide and serves as a place in which the bereaved could bury their family and friends. The remains of the people here were brought from all over the capital (Kigali) after they had been left in the street or thrown in the river. They are buried together in lots of 100,000. The memorial was opened in 1999. Inside the memorial I learned about other counties had genocides like Cambodia, Liberia and others.

After reception there is a little introduction video about survived victims storiesAfter reception there is a little introduction video about survived victims stories

Victims picsVictims pics

Inside the memorial buildingInside the memorial building

BTS (Pic by Memorial staff)BTS (Pic by Memorial staff)

One of the transparent mass graveOne of the transparent mass grave

Wearing an audio guide (Pic by Memorial Staff)Wearing an audio guide (Pic by Memorial Staff)

JJN_5718.jpg

10 HUTU Commandments (Inside the memorial building10 HUTU Commandments (Inside the memorial building

Bones of the victimsBones of the victims

Skulls of the victimsSkulls of the victims

VictVict

Caution!!Caution!!

Kigali+Genocide+Memorial+Centre+Photo+by+Joe+Ndekia (2).jpg

Row of mass gravesRow of mass graves

Kigali+Memorial.jpg

This memorial centre is 1 of 6 major centre`s in Rwanda that commemorate the Rwanda Genocide. The others are the Murambi, Bisesero, Ntarama Genocide, Nyamata and Nyarubuye.

Last weekend in Rwanda commemorates 24th Anniversary of Genocide and I feel I could share with you some of my memories. My thoughts and prayers to Rwanda people. My their hearts and souls find peace and comfort. The genocide will remain on our heart forever.

I managed to compile a short video taken w/ my iphone 6 the moment I was there. Click here to view.

Thank you for your time. 

Regards,

Joe

Kigali, Rwanda
14 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: KIGALI MEMORIAL CENTRE TOUR

Thanks for this important post @HeyJoe, about visiting the Rwanda Genocide Memorial.

Hotel Rwanda, the movie, still impressed in my mind, it jumped to my mind when I started to read your post, before to see that you were mentioning it.

There are many other countries that I would add to your list, places that we should remember to say: No More

It sounds strange, in this community, where we all are proud to be "equal in diversity", learning from our diversity, that we want to highlight as a quality for being equal.

Ermes

Level 9

Its Kigali Memorial centre, countrywise as Rwanda they have 6 memoria centres. Watching Hotel Rwanda reflects all what happened there. So when i was there i was just recalling each incidents & events @ErmesT

As local guide family where we all are proud to be "equal in diversity" and i am proud to say this plus the great experience I had last year with my fellow Local Guide including you though we haven't talk too much LOL you know interacting w/ 150 local guides its not a joke in 2.5 days!! 

I got inspired also from Brother @PaulKang to share this story because he shared many stories from Memphis and I was so touched how it was back in the days. 

Level 9

@HeyJoe, thanks for sharing your adventures on this connection! I echo @ErmesT's comments as this is an important post and thanks for bringing light to this historical event to connect here.I cannot imagine the emotions you experienced during your visit. 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

@HeyJoe, what you and @PaulKang posted here on Connect shows the power of Local Guides & Google Maps can offer. The ability to write and post your personal experiences of historic, at times, tragic, sites for others interested to see.

I remember Hotel Rawada, which I agree too is an amazing story and the courage of one man trying to help his people. It reminded me of Schindler’s List (read the book if you can get a copy, better than the movie). 

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Gracias por compartir este post @HeyJoe, el otro día veía en NatGeo el documental de Morgan Freeman sobre este tema,

"Paul Kagame ( Episodio “La paz”), el presidente de Ruanda cuyo pueblo fue capaz de establecer la paz después de una espantosa guerra civil. Freeman también se encuentra con una tutsi que se reconcilió con el hutu que mató a su familia."

Y hoy lo comienzo a ver en mi memoria, a medida que leía el tuyo.

Tu post es muy importante para tener memoria sobre estos tristes 😪momentos de la historia, No tenemos que olvidarlos y guardarlos bajo la alfombra. Caso contrario corremos el riesgo de repetirlos.👏

Saludos Farid

👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 9

Your welcome @Shirley. Its a mixed feelings being there. Place is very emotional same time they have amazing environment clean, quite, maintained well, staffs are very informative, helpful so so nice, beautiful gardens.   

Level 9

@KarenVChin Thank you. Also there is also a movie called "Sometimes in April" I have not watched it though but i will check it soon. I am big movie fan on real story events movies. Definitely I will look into it and anxious already because Spielberg & Liam Neeson are my fav director and actor.

Level 9

Greetings @FaridTDF 

I saw that NatGeo advert too but sadly i have not watched it hopefully i will get it on youtube. Its true we do not have to forget them. We deserve to be happy, have freedom, and peace.

Level 7

Thanks @HeyJoe for sharing your own experience for what happened here in Rwanda. Some people still denies it but for this kind of contribution i think it will help the world to know what really happened and try to bring to justice those who committed genocide against Tutsi in 1994.