Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Jai Vilas Palace - The Resident of King

Hello LG and moderator,

Welcome to my post!

I hope you all are doing fine there.

Today I am introduce you with the Jai Vilas Palace of Gwalior.

Caption: A photo of Jai vilas palace taken from its front gate near to the garden by local guide sahilmsk2208Caption: A photo of Jai vilas palace taken from its front gate near to the garden by local guide sahilmsk2208

Jai Vilas palace is built in 19th century by Maharaja Jayajirao Scindia in Gwalior,India. It is still resident of current generation of Royal Scindia dynasty. Currently, this palace is own by Jyotiraditya Scindia who is Politician He is a member of Indian National congress. He completed his degree in Management from Stanford graduate school, studied economics from Harvard university. 

Scindia Family has great influence in my city since they start ruling. They built number of necessities in Gwalior. Such as Schools, Colleges,University, Railway station, Airport etc. That's all about Scindia family introduction.

Now in History, This family reside in Gwalior fort ( which in mention in my last post) for a period of time. But when britishers rule India. they ask them to leave the fort. Since, Scindia is also in power that time so they stand against this order. Then British rule promise them to built a separate fort or palace for them within Gwalior. This is the reason why Jai vilas palace built ad looks like most of the other palaces in European country because it is built by the British architect.caption; A photo of Jai Vilas palace taken from roof of itcaption; A photo of Jai Vilas palace taken from roof of it

Jai Vilas palace spread across the 1,250,000 square feet approximately in center of Gwalior city. It has a big white structure built in a square shape and it is surrounded by big gardens. Nearly 3/4th part of the Palace is for resident of Royal family which not allowed for civilian s to visit and in 1/4th part of palace there is Museum of Antics of Royal family which we can visit. 

A photo of Durbar hall or royal court with chandelier and interior designs of Jai vilas palace.A photo of Durbar hall or royal court with chandelier and interior designs of Jai vilas palace.

The museum consists of antic furniture, arts, Dining room, Traditional dresses, Antic guns, horse carts and many more. The most exciting part to visit this place is the Dining room or Durbar Hall, which consists of huge dining table which can serve almost 50 person at a time, durbar interior is decorated with the gilt and gold furnishing and a huge carpet and very big chandeliers. It is 100 feet long, 50 feet wide and 41 feet high. Nearly eight elephants were suspended to test the ceiling load of the Durbar hall which takes load  of two 12.5 high and 3.5 tonnes chandelier with about 250 bulbs. 

Photo of Furniture of Palace 1Photo of Furniture of Palace 1

photo of furniture of Palace 2photo of furniture of Palace 2

Photo of Furniture of Palace 3Photo of Furniture of Palace 3

Interesting Story :- This story may be true or may not. But I heard it from number of locals that the Kings himself do not know about the actual measure of his wealth. Once there is drought in the Gwalior , al the source of water in palace got dry. So, King order to dig up new well in palace. Worker started to dig up the well for few days and left without finishing the work. So king ask some other worker to complete the work they also work for few day and left and this process happens few more time. Then king realise there might be problem working down there. So decide to visit the site personally what he founds the digged well is completely filled with gold, silver and precious stones. then Kings understands why workers left they take gold with them and spend there life not working anymore. After he takes all gold to his palace and keep it with himself. This show how much wealth Scindia family has.

Interesting Facts :-

1. There is toy train made up of silver which is used to serve after dinner brandy and cigar. the tracks are made on the Dining table where guests are served.

A photo of dining table with train track.A photo of dining table with train track.

2. This museum has number of antics which is being the part of history such as Sword of Shahjahan (who built Taj Mahal) and Aurangzeb , original Dhal (shield) belongs to Rani Laxmi bai and a early age model of BMW car.

3. This place cost to rupees one crores INR at the time when it is built but Now it is estimated as 4000 crore INR for built such place.

How to reach :- Gwalior is 300 kms from the Capital city of India New Delhi You can reach this city by ths following ways ;-

1. By Flight - You can take a direct flight from New Delhi to Gwalior which will cost you around 50-100 USD and it takes 45 min - 1 hour to reach Gwalior.

2. By train - train is the best option to come to Gwalior there are more than 20 train schedule from New Delhi to Gwalior which will cost you from 3 USD to 10 USD depends on which class you choose to travel and it will take around 5 hours of travel.

3. By Bus - Number of buses is schedule from New Delhi to Gwalior which will cost you 7 to 10 USD and takes total time of 8 hours to reach Gwalior. 

Tips to be remembered when travelling to Gwalior:-

1. Always use Apps or website to book taxi in Gwalior. If you are not aware of actual fare you will end up giving double fare. So, I suggest you to use apps or consult with locals for the fare to the place.

2. Avoid to come to Gwalior in Summer season because temperature can goes more than 45 degrees centigrade.

I hope you find this place interesting and will plan to visit this place. If you have any query feel free to ask me. Happy to help

Thanks and Bye till next post.

Gwalior fort

Trip to symbol of Love

Pink City Jaipur

Heaven Of South India - Final

Heaven of South India 3

Different colour of Nature

Hong kong 2

Honkong 1

SAHIL KHAN
local guide live for discovering world
Keep sharing!
And keep Tagging!
Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India
40 comments
Level 8

Re: Jai Vilas Palace - The Resident of King

@KatyaL  I would like to read to this.

Another famous place in my city.

SAHIL KHAN
Keep sharing!
And keep Tagging!
Level 8

@duenbenz @DennisNguyen @HoangDang @Kavita1 @IshantHP_ig y new post what is your comments about this place?

SAHIL KHAN
Keep sharing!
And keep Tagging!
Level 8

@Sahilmsk2208 I like the picture that you taken from the roof. Google maps should hire you as content's adviser in India 😄

Nice!

Level 8

@Sahilmsk2208 It is 1,250,000 (edit your post, please). Where should we go with such a large area like that? It will be tired if we go through all the palace!

Level 8

@HoangDang  Thank you for like my picture. I wish they hire me.

SAHIL KHAN
Keep sharing!
And keep Tagging!
Level 8

@HoangDang Oh thanks you for marking edits. Only 1/4th of palace is open for tourist rest for family of king. No worry to walk the complete palace.

SAHIL KHAN
Keep sharing!
And keep Tagging!
Level 9

Wow!

So perfect post ,do beautiful photos!

Thank you so much for sharing with us @Sahilmsk2208 

How old is this palace!?

Level 8

Almost 150 years old @helga19  

I m glad you like it thank you.

SAHIL KHAN
Keep sharing!
And keep Tagging!
Level 7

@Sahilmsk2208 it s so beautiful while I see this palace my thinking immediately popped up that why this architecture is in European style and then I got the answer in your post 

How who is living in this palace can remember all rooms inside and way to go to each room. How many rooms here? How many hours you walk around to visit all space in this palace?